All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

February 2017 Tropos

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

February 2017 Tropos

Post by mtburb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:15 am

Been a few weeks since we last had a tropo in the Detroit area, huh? Tonight I managed to receive quick video/audio signals from the number-one regular lake tropo station for me, WEWS Cleveland.

We're supposed to have some noticeable tropo conditions this Saturday going into early Sunday according to the tropo map, we'll have to wait and see...I would love to watch KDKA again and even get a couple of new logs.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

cckadlec

Re: February 2017 Tropos

Post by cckadlec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 am

I wouldn't expect much of anything this weekend in regards to tropo. It's the off-season to start with; there won't be much of anything until mid-March into April, as usual, at least nothing stable probably. You need temperature changes, cold fronts, or high pressure systems with favorable weather (of which winter and cold rarely is). I don't even turn on the radio or check. Aside from the usual Grand Rapids and Milwaukee locals, very little to speak of here.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 pm

We are slated to get a very powerful warm spell starting around the 19th--temps could be in the upper 50s and lower 60s for up to 5 or six days. Such a strong "punch" to the troposphere could result in some interesting FM (and TV) reception, IMO.

We'll see, but be on the watch for it!

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Ha, I've totally not been paying attention to the weather. Every time I do, it seems that the temperature is drastically different. (I guess the forecast has changed after I check it). I certainly agree about the tropospheric conditions if that were the case. At the same time, it can also be flat conditions with those temperatures. If combined with high pressure, which is often unlikely with warm temperatures this time of year in these parts, that would be superb for a tropo forecast. In your case, being right by the lake, it'll probably bring some decent tropo scatter. If something pans out, I'll pay attention to it!

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Yesterday I had slightly stronger than usual Escanaba and Door County stations. I also noticed that the 106.3 in Escanaba might be simulcasting WCHT (AM) now as I had a mystery 106.3 in (under The Mitten for the most part) with Rush Limbaugh. Also heard an ad for a truck driver training school with seminars in the UP and northern Wisconsin.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Are you sure you weren't hearing Razor on 106.3?? Such an ad would certainly be likely to be on Razor. I mean, that wouldn't account for Rush Limbaugh though. That's on WCHT-AM Escanaba (as you mentioned) but nobody up that way seems to want to report anything. I do have a DXer contact up there who would be able to report locally on it, but as I am no longer on social media, it becomes harder to ask that person.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 pm

The warmup is here and already I'm getting some tropo, as I'm watching WTVG, a station I only get in certain tropos here in Wyandotte, in fact right now it's coming in perfect. Additionally I got brief pictures from semi-regular-tropo stations WTOL and WCMZ.

And a few minutes after posting this I got pictures from WHTV as well.
Last edited by mtburb on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Not much over here. Yesterday there were some of the stronger Green Bay signals making it into Holland, though nothing special. Not a lot of signals overall, though I did notice that 102.5 Muskegon is entirely off the air now as WIOG and Life were bashing it out. In Fremont, the usual Milwaukee stations were in solid.

Today I heard 99.1 Big Rapids in the deep null of WMYX. Just could not figure out what I was hearing back there as I usually wouldn't hear that. 103.9 Big Rapids also came in yesterday, which was a really big surprise as that is also uncommon here, despite being about 30 miles away. There was some Chicago and whatnot, though decently weak, so nothing I paid much attention to.

PS: "Tropos" is a singular word -> "tropo," unless you wanna say "I got tropo catches".

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 am

I would submit that the tropo map was accurate, as I listened to clean signals on WMVP and CF-ZedM, or AM 740 out of Toronto last night, while traveling on US-131.

This morning, I am pulling WLNS and WCMU in Comstock Park, and had WKAR for a while closer to dawn. When there is real vivid tropo I can draw 9&10 from Cadillac and the PBS station in Fort Wayne.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 am

Well, I wouldn't classify Lansing as tropo from Grand Rapids, but perhaps merely enhancement. It's sad that it's even being mentioned these days as up here in Fremont, all of those were regulars 24/7 on analog. Digital, obviously not as much (except WCMU, which was actually non-existent on analog but powerful on digital). Real tropo should be producing Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay there. I'll have to check the radio now. Of course, it's morning, so enhancement would be expected, naturally.

(Though AM radio is totally not influenced by tropo; tropo maps have no bearing whatsoever on AM radio as it uses a different mode of travel. 740 is a skywave local, so you should be able to hear it at all times at night).

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 am

I've got a few signals in on FM, but certainly nothing more than some minor enhancement. Nothing worth pursuing here in Fremont. I have someone hanging in behind Power 92. 95.1 Marinette in the deep null of WIIL. Lansing far behind 99.1 and 100.7, but enough to listen if I put the radio in the right spot. And the Grand Rapids Spanish station on 103.7 trying to break through behind Kiss. Otherwise, basically nothing aside from usual Grand Rapids, Muskegon, and Milwaukee with a smattering of the usual Chicago ones on 90.1, 101.1, and 105.1. As the temps warm up though, I'd expect a little more at least. Probably not much though.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:26 pm

WTVG is coming in good again. Ironically, it's coming in WAY better than both WTOL and WNWO, the latter of which used to come in good if I placed my antenna next to a certain spot on the second-story railing but they seem to have decreased their power as WNWO now barely even comes in at my house.

EDIT: Managed to snag brief pictures from WEWS twice while at it.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:23 am

Via enhancement, I had a brief glimpse of 9&10's HDTV signals this morning. Nothing from the occasional odd contributors elsewhere.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 am

Right now, through enhancement, WTOL is stronger than WTVG, which has stopped showing up, as typical during these events, even though it's breaking up some. Nothing from the other usual cities yet today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic