Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Skip today?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Mega Hertz

Skip today?

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Here in Ann Arbor, I'm picking up a strong 97.3 WMEE from Fort Wayne, Indiana, even with The Ticket and NOW-FM right next door to it.

Also getting 92.9 and 94.9 out of Lansing rather strong today.

Is there some kind of skip or event I'm missing?

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Re: Skip today?

Post by mtburb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Possibly due to this, on TV yesterday and today I was able to get a near-stable signal from WTOL in Wyandotte for several hours, even came close to picking up WEWS once again.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm

More likely due to the WX front or temp inversion in the troposphere.
A big change in the local WX just happened.
The usual meaning of "SKIP" is an ionospheric event having propagation effects on the much lower HF
frequencies.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Skip today, go directly to tomorrow.
:roll:

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm

SolarMax wrote:Skip today, go directly to tomorrow.
:roll:
Do not pass go, do not collect $200 :rollin

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:00 am

Yup, was just some slight tropo enhancement due to the front passing through.

Fort Wayne can be had daily on FM from the Ann Arbor area in the spring and summer because of what I assume to be all the humidity in certain levels of the troposphere.

I regularly receive the NWS transmitter from Angola here in Pontiac.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 am

syntheticexctasy wrote:Yup, was just some slight tropo enhancement due to the front passing through.

Fort Wayne can be had daily on FM from the Ann Arbor area in the spring and summer because of what I assume to be all the humidity in certain levels of the troposphere.

It was absolutely amazing what the late great Edgar Cantelon was able to receive and measure from somewhere North of Pontiac. I always assumed it was up there near where that landfill mound is that you can see from I-75. I thought I once saw some Beverage antennas glistening up there under the right lighting conditions.

With a 10 Element FM Yagi Log and a very selective tuner, you could probably get Fort Wayne nearly all the time from near there.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

Fingerboard Corners wrote:
syntheticexctasy wrote:Yup, was just some slight tropo enhancement due to the front passing through.

It was absolutely amazing what the late great Edgar Cantelon was able to receive and measure from somewhere North of Pontiac. I always assumed it was up there near where that landfill mound is that you can see from I-75. I thought I once saw some Beverage antennas glistening up there under the right lighting conditions.

With a 10 Element FM Yagi Log and a very selective tuner, you could probably get Fort Wayne nearly all the time from near there.
With a hunk of aluminum up high you can get a great deal from about 90 degrees to about 300 degress. When I lived in Plymouth it was the same way. Had Toledo, Cleveland, and Fort Wayne in more than I ever did in Romulus (about 300' lower).

Ann Arbor itself is pretty lousy for DXing now that I think about it - most of the city is in a hole. Used to spend a lot of time in the city proper, not much to be had there except a few of the stronger detroit locals and quite a few toledo locals. Get out west of the city a bit though and that's another excellent DX spot.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 am

Ann Arbor has some interesting terrain shielding that helps DX in some directions in some areas. One area near the Gandy Dancer on a hill off Fuller has terrain shielding of stations to the South. Art Vuolo's local Radioguides showed WWWM 105.5 as the dominant station on the frequency, a near local. But up there, on the North side of an apartment building, WWCK 105.5 came in without any problem. WFMK and others from Lansing and East Lansing were very strong. Seems like WHNN came in well also.

jry

Post by jry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Got an e mail from Finland the other day. They sent an air check of WSNL....

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 pm

jry wrote:Got an e mail from Finland the other day. They sent an air check of WSNL....
The low end of the dial is rare over there. I told one of the DX-pedition organizers to try for WFLT also, as the IDF from the DA exceeds WWCK, which they have heard, in many directions except South and East. They also hear most of the Class IVs/Class Cs with 1 kW on their crowded channels.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm

I agree with the other replies. "Skip" is the nickname for Es (E-Skip). It's a drastically different method of propagation unrelated to what you were hearing, which is enhancement or tropo (tropospheric propagation) and they use very different levels of the atmosphere to bounce signals off of or within. Of course, as the names imply, tropo uses the troposphere, our layer. E-skip uses the E-layer about 60 miles up. But yes, when a cold or warm front comes through, especially a rather drastic one, expect some signals to travel. However, though Es is typically a May to July sort of thing, there is a peak in the winter that would occur around Christmas to right about now, though usually less stable and less likely.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Sorry. I always figured the proper name for this type of thing was the skip. Thanks for the correction.

Other stations I tend to get well include 92.5 Toledo
97.5 Lansing
104.7 Toledo
106.1 Jackson

I'm really only about two or three miles from downtown, and the only stations that seem to suffer are 89x, 93.9, and 102.7 (obviously). I get a fairly decent mixed bag where I'm at.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic