Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Passing of John Grover

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Plate Cap

Passing of John Grover

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Please be advised of the recent passing of John Grover, longtime broadcast engineer in southeast Michigan.

John's career spanned a half-century at radio and TV stations including but not limited to WJIM, WGPR, WSMH and WADL.

He was the recipient of the Carl E. Lee Engineering Award from the Michigan Association of Broadcasters in 2010.

John had been in failing health in recent years.

I knew him from the very beginning of my career; he was a talented engineer with the ability to keep systems running, sometimes with a minimum of support and funding. He was at all times reserved, gentle, positive, upbeat and cheerful, and he had a unique and seemingly unlimited reserve of patience that I could not imagine possible with some difficult upper management at several of his workplaces.

Godspeed, John.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Fingerboard Corners

Re: Passing of John Grover

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Mr. Grover backed me up on a message board where people were insisting that Genesee County already got great PBS service from WKAR-TV 23, WUCX 19, and WTVS 56, and didn't need WCMZ-TV 28. This despite the fact that WJRT-TV 12 was allowed to carry Sesame Street for many years because of poor service from 23, 19, and 56. He knew UHF and now I see why. Talk about people who belong to the Flat Earth Society, those commenters must have belonged to it. Sorry to hear he is gone.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Grover and Sesame Street?

Hmmm, maybe was he was Super Grover!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Sorry to hear this. I met John some years ago, but had not seen him in a long time. He was one of the stellar engineers in the broadcast industry in our area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic