Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Long wave broadcasting.

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

Long wave broadcasting.

Post by k8jd » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:58 pm

I believe it never got any interest in the US since medium wave coverage was better commercially, but Long wave is still used in Europe , Africa and Asia. It's wide area coverage is quite reliable and Governments that feed their people all the same info is well served by LWBC .
I was studying some of the stations still in use and the antennas used rival some of the big US TV towers in size.
One I examined using Google Earth is a 171 kHz directrional antenna, in Algeria, about 152 miles southeast of Gibralter.
It has three towers, each is 1178 Ft tall and they are spaced 2134 ft apart.
So the first to last tower are almost a mile (4468 Ft) apart.
The transmitter has 1,600 KW output. 1.6 MEGA Watts ! That system can cover most of Algeria and quite a bit of Morocco and southern Spain ! :lol:

WOHO

Re: Long wave broadcasting.

Post by WOHO » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:25 pm

Isn't Nautel making a system of combining four 400KW transmitters for 1.6MW somewhere, but maybe it's in the MW BC band? Might even be quantity of five 400KW transmitter for 2MW. I'll have to check back into it, but it will be Nautel's biggest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic