Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

CCrane2 radio?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
WOHO

CCrane2 radio?

Post by WOHO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:21 pm

Any comments regarding the C.Crane 2 radio in regards to selectiviy and sensitivity? Battery life? Thanks.

Marcus

Re: CCrane2 radio?

Post by Marcus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Sensitivity is high on all four bands. In my location 1480 WSDS and 1660 WQLR can be heard during the daytime although they are very faint. Radio Jay Allen mentions the AM performance on his website. AM selectivity is somewhat high, but not the same as some of the modern multiband portable radios. The one weakness is overloading on the AM band in some locations.

On FM both the sensitivity and selectivity are very high. Unlike AM, it is actually quite good when faced with powerful FM signals unless you are VERY close to a transmitter site. The one weakness is that there is no external antenna input for FM or the two VHF bands.

The sound is good for a full range speaker, but the two way speaker on the old GE Superadio 3 is still better.

Battery life appears to be alright. I don't leave it on for hours at a time with batteries so I'm not sure how it measures up with other radios.

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 pm

I have the CC Radio 2E which has AM/FM/WX and two meter ham band. It has great wide-band AM reception and an internal twin coil ferrite antenna (you can plug in an external). The only thing that irks me is the fine tuning and course tuning. The fine tuning is a knob on the side and the course tuning is an up or down button, would much rather have a knob. I got the radio to replace a similar Grundig unit and I believe it outperforms it as far as AM. Also wish it had RCA out instead of just the phones jack but the preset buttons are a nice addition. I would overall highly recommend.

She's got the tower... She's got the power...

jry

Post by jry » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I love all of my Cranes. I've got a couple of CC's hanging around. I also just bought the compact "Sky Wave" radio. Amazing reception. Fantastic sound.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:38 pm

I was looking closely at some of the CC models but I finally got the Tecsun PL880.
I have a GE Superradio 3 but it has been too bulky to travel with and is just AM and FM monaural. It is a really good AM radio for both DX and sound quality.
I picked the PL880 mainly because I got my son a PL660 for his birthday last year and he let me check it out and I liked the SSB/CW reception on Short wave. He often has it hooked to a computer at his home and decodes digital mode signals.
If I was not interested in SSB and CW reception I may have got one of the Crane radios.
I took my PL880 to the FL Keys and heard many FM stations over 100 miles away (just using the 3 ft whip) from where I was staying, near Marathon.
I have an idea that some of the Crane models may beat the Tecsun on AM sensitivity, maybe a little :D

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:02 pm

jry wrote:I love all of my Cranes. I've got a couple of CC's hanging around. I also just bought the compact "Sky Wave" radio. Amazing reception. Fantastic sound.
I got the skywave too, gets 87.5 to 108.0 MHz (skips by .01 MHz), 520 to 1710 kHz (skips by 1 kHz, great if you want good AM sound, to hear HQ WWJ-AM 950, go to 955 or 945, don't know if it can get CKWW in Toledo, it does in Melvindale though), 162.4 to 162.55 MHz (skips by .025 MHz), 118-137 MHz (skips by .001 MHz) and 2300-26100 kHz (skips by 1 kHz)

For AM and SW, you can adjust bandwith to 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 3 kHz, 4 kHz, or 6 kHz (I guess I must have been stoned when I thought there was a number called five) You can also adjust skip on FM to .1 MHz or .01 MHz, AM to 10 kHz, 9 kHz, or 1 kHz. SW can be adjusted to 1 kHz or 5 kHz. Air can be adjusted to .001 MHz or .1 MHz. NOAA only skips by .025 MHz.

God>GOP
GOP≠God
Politics=Hate
Hate=Satan
Politics=Satan

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:19 am

Splounge, which radio are you talking about?

jry

Post by jry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:18 pm

C Cranes little Skywave Radio. Fantastic. Worth every penny.

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 pm

WOHO wrote:Splounge, which radio are you talking about?
The Skywave

God>GOP
GOP≠God
Politics=Hate
Hate=Satan
Politics=Satan

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Last question of the day: what's the difference between the C. Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced and a 'regular' CCRadio-2 ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic