Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDEO 990 night testing?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
SolarMax

WDEO 990 night testing?

Post by SolarMax » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:46 am

Late Saturday night/early Sunday, 1AM-ish , for a short time I heard on 990 what must have been WDEO, loud and clear, covering up CBW. A long interview with someone telling the story of his love for the Church and his priestly vocation. Never heard any break or an I.D. Couldn't really stand to listen for too long though :). Checking later on, the signal had disappeared, so either a mistake or maybe an engineering test. I usually can barely hear them even in daytime.

Ben Zonia

Re: WDEO 990 night testing?

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:00 pm

The Day and Night Patterns of WDEO 990 are like, well, Day and Night. Somewhere in the early 1980s, the Agreement Between The US and Canada for AM changed. They used to require 5 uV/m ground wave protection on the whole Canadian Border, even to the East, even though CBW was to the Northwest. Now, you just have to protect the 990 ground waves of Canadian stations according to Class. CBW is a Class A/I-A, and the ground wave is protected to the 0.1 mV/m contour Days. At Night, you still have to protect the whole old model ~750 Mile skywave radius protected skywave of CBW within Canada under the Agreement, but not all of Canada.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAJ

WDEO was indeed probably doing some testing of the Day Pattern during the Experimental Period. There have also been some Auroral type solar flare wipeouts of skywave recently, only leaving the ground wave like Day conditions.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:09 pm

I live in Whitmore Lake and WDEO is strong during the day, but at night it's mostly CBW. Still, what they have now is an improvement over what they had when they were a 250-watt daytimer on 1520 (1962-1986). I bet they barely made it out of eastern Washtenaw/western Wayne County then.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:16 am

Daytime performance has always been abysmal. Signal always sounds undermodulated and weaker than it should. This was true even two decades ago. I don't know if it's because they chose a TX site where ground conductivity is absymal, if it's because they may be operating at reduced power, if it's because the grounding system may be lousy, or a combination of multiple factors.

When I lived in the south end of Ann Arbor years ago, the nighttime signal always sounded much better than the daytime signal. Better reception, louder & clearer audio, etc.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 pm

The WDEO transmitter site is about .6 miles from the Huron river, do we expect to have fairy good ground conductivity with the water nearby ?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 am

Because of M-3 predicted overlap, WMVP 1000 Chicago used the WDEO 990 Ypsilanti Proofs of Performance in their new WMVP Day Pattern Application, which shows actual conductivities. The conductivities toward Downriver Detroit are not shown here, but probably equal or exceed M-3, but the other directions are substantially below M-3, well below 8 mS/m.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=3

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Speaking of WDEO, the 107.9 translator in Scio Township (which formerly relayed Home.FM) is back on the air. They seem to be receiving AM 990 directly off the air, because at night when I null out WCRZ, I hear loud static and hints of another station which I assume is CBW. 107.9's tower is located southwest of the Scio Church/Zeeb Roads intersection.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:56 pm

The WJBK/WDEE/WLQV 1972 Proof of Performance shown on a WPAY application online show measured conductivities toward Ypsilanti for 20 miles show 10 mS/m, above the M-3 value of 8 mS/m, supporting our previous observations and assertion that the WJR signal in Washtenaw County exceeds the prediction based on M-3.

It quickly changes around Ypsilanti according to the WDEO Proofs. The quaternary geology of the area corresponds to those changes.

https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/data/quaternar ... /wayne.pdf

https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/data/quaternar ... htenaw.pdf

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic