Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CB Skip...it's Back

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Calvert DeForest

CB Skip...it's Back

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:08 pm

I've noticed a resurgence of chatter on the long-abandoned Citizens Band in recent weeks. My Degen multi-band radio tunes the 26-27 MHz frequency range where CB lives, as well as my Radio Shack 40-channel hand-held transceiver. Both have picked up a lot of folks "talking skip" across states with pumped-up amps (some have said they're running 100-200 watts on their rigs). As the FCC effectively abandoned regulation of the band and the 4-watt output limit in the mid-late 80's, it's no longer illegal to run "heat".

I have to say it's been a fun listen, and nice to hear the band in use again after years of silent hash. It's pretty much what you'd expect from an unregulated spectrum, and harkens to the days when CB skip was originally popular. Lotsa folks talking over each other, repeating their handles and locations, and generally over-modulating. I doubt CB would return as a medium of local communication as it once was given the prevalence of cell phones and FRS/GMRS radios, but at least someone's getting use out of it.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

innate-in-you

Re: CB Skip...it's Back

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 am

In the late spring and early summer, Sporadic-E propagation will sometimes occur.

This allows for band openings on 10 meters, 6 meters, low-VHF and FM broadcast, and, more rarely, 2 meters.

It is unrelated to the usual daytime skip, which occurs in the F-layer, and allows for the usual skip reception of HF bands.

Of note, the higher shortwave spectrum is often without long range at night - especially when sunspot numbers are low.

In contrast, Sporadic-E will occur even in times of solar minimum. It is almost impossible to predict when it will come in.

Since the E-layer is much closer to the Earth than the F-Layer, distances are correspondingly shorter.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am

That would explain a lot. It's the first time in years I've heard this level of activity though. Wonder if it's just a resurgence in interest.

It's too bad the GMRS/FRS service never took off like CB did back in the day. Probably due to the popularity of cellular communication, not to mention the FCC was charging 75 bucks for GMRS licenses last I checked (FRS is non-licensed, albeit low-power). There's something about point-to-point radio communication that makes it fun.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
..... It's too bad the GMRS/FRS service never took off like CB did back in the day. Probably due to the popularity of cellular communication, not to mention the FCC was charging 75 bucks for GMRS licenses last I checked (FRS is non-licensed, albeit low-power). There's something about point-to-point radio communication that makes it fun.
I myself have always thought it would be a good idea to encourage folks in areas that frequently suffer power loss/tornadoes/etc to keep an FRS and some 10 year batteries in a drawer. When disaster strikes, people would know to call for help on a certain channel that authorities and volunteers would be monitoring.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 am

I still use CB when I travel. It helps me get around backups on the expressway.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 pm

This last weekend was the time of Amateur Radio Field Day, when ham operators set up club stations out in field and forest to demonstrate the ability to operate in emergency-like conditions with solar and generator power and no connections to the usual infrastructure .

I was at a family campout/celebration for two teen grandkids' birthdays, 50 miles from home and could only listen in to the activity. I heard lots of CW and SSB signals in the daylight hours on 7, 14, 21 and 28 MHz from all over the USA and Canada, !
My rcvr Was a TekSun 660 just using the 3 ft whip on it !
A Quick scan of 26.9 to 27.4 showed AM activity on several channels, and lots of heterodynes.
Pretty good E-skip on the higher frequencies !

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
I myself have always thought it would be a good idea to encourage folks in areas that frequently suffer power loss/tornadoes/etc to keep an FRS and some 10 year batteries in a drawer. When disaster strikes, people would know to call for help on a certain channel that authorities and volunteers would be monitoring.
There was some organization for FRS/GMRS operating, even listings for many GMRS repeter stations with PL DPL codes set aside for visitors to use.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:41 pm

k8jd wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 pm
There was some organization for FRS/GMRS operating, even listings for many GMRS repeter stations with PL DPL codes set aside for visitors to use.
Are you aware of any GMRS repeater directory for Metro Detroit. I've never seemed to be able to find one.
Is there any activity. (other than Allen Park DPW :)).

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 am

Here's a site that maps available GMRS repeaters:

https://mygmrs.com/map

The FCC dropped the GMRS license fee from $70 to $35 in March. The license is good for 10 years and covers everyone in your immediate family. I'm considering applying for one. The advantage of increased transmit power and repeater capabilities would make it well worth the nominal cost.

I have two pair of Midland FRS handhelds. The older pair was initially marketed as GMRS/FRS transceivers before the Commission increased the maximum FRS output from .5-watt to 2-watts (the radios have 1-watt transmit power on GMRS/FRS combined frequencies). The other pair is limited to .5-watt output on all channels. They come in handy for short-range communication, although they only get about a half-mile in town. Range would probably be better on open terrain with minimal line-of-sight obstruction, away from trees, buildings, etc. One of these days I'll take 'em atop out local sledding hill for a test.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:57 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 am
Here's a site that maps available GMRS repeaters:

https://mygmrs.com/map

The FCC dropped the GMRS license fee from $70 to $35 in March. The license is good for 10 years and covers everyone in your immediate family. I'm considering applying for one. The advantage of increased transmit power and repeater capabilities would make it well worth the nominal cost.
Thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in getting a license for it.
FRS and cells are good enough for keeping in touch for us. Just something to listen to when the 440 machines are idle.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 am

I always chuckle at the packaging on FRS walkie-talkies. They'll charge more for radios with up to 38-mile range and say in the fine print that it's the maximum tested distance under ideal conditions, meaning they basically test these things on a flat prairie. Actual urban range for FRS is under a mile regardless of how much money you drop on the radios. A $20 500-milliwatt pair will do just as well in obstructed areas as an $80 2-watt pair, and you can save the extra cash for dinner at Applebee's.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 am
I always chuckle at the packaging on FRS walkie-talkies. They'll charge more for radios with up to 38-mile range and say in the fine print that it's the maximum tested distance under ideal conditions, meaning they basically test these things on a flat prairie. Actual urban range for FRS is under a mile regardless of how much money you drop on the radios. A $20 500-milliwatt pair will do just as well in obstructed areas as an $80 2-watt pair, and you can save the extra cash for dinner at Applebee's.
I may have to disagree with you on this.
It is true an FRS radio transmits just as far whether it's a Cobra bubble pack of two for $25, or $150 for two Motorola's. But it seems to me the more expensive the FRS, the further it can receive. And the better the receive audio.
I have seen where a waterproof Moto was hearing someone, and a Midland next to it was never breaking the squelch.
But as you say, mileage may vary.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:36 pm

follow up Re. E-layer skip conditions,
Just the last few days I have been operating on the 6 Meter band (50 MHz). With ab0ut 80 W with a small Yagi up only 25 ft.
This was on some SSB and some CW, Finally getting back on VHF after many years away.
I worked into the following states. MA, ME, NH, NJ, PA TX and WV ! all in a three hour span this afternoon....
My antenna is currently up without a rotor and aimed Due south for now.
If there are any southern town police or fire depts still on low VHF , I did not see them on the band scope !!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:07 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 am
I may have to disagree with you on this.
It is true an FRS radio transmits just as far whether it's a Cobra bubble pack of two for $25, or $150 for two Motorola's. But it seems to me the more expensive the FRS, the further it can receive. And the better the receive audio.
I have seen where a waterproof Moto was hearing someone, and a Midland next to it was never breaking the squelch.
But as you say, mileage may vary.
Yeah, I was speaking more of transmit range. Admittedly I have never tried the pricier radios. Basically just going off of reviews I've read online, but I can see where the more expensive units would provide improved reception. I've noticed that they tend to have longer (and probably better quality) antenna, which would be an advantage given that FRS antennas are non-detachable and can't be legally modified.

Motorola has traditionally been the gold standard when it comes to two-way radios. A little more expensive, but the quality is worth it. Midland radios aren't up to the par of Motorola's, but still decent for the price. Midland and Cobra pretty much owned the CB market back in the day.

The Midland T-20's I picked up at Meijer are their least expensive model ($20 out the door). I wasn't looking for much. Just wanted an extra set to go with our LXT-500's so each member of the family could have a radio to use in short-range situations. NOAA weather reception leaves a lot to be desired, but as far as two-way functionality they perform better than expected. I was impressed given the low price point.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:43 pm

I haven't tried the CB band in a while, they're using 19 and 9 for shooting skip now, and it's so hashy in the afternoon it drives me crazy, I leave them on the weather band.
I'm using Midland MXT-275's in my vehicles with a Laird antenna, it's a lot more pleasant for inter vehicle communications when you're headed upstate, and carries quite far (miles) with the 15 watts and a good aerial.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic