Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Testing 1 2 3

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Image


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm

When I was a kid and we got our first ever TV in the house, there was only one channel available. It didn't sign on until about 5:00 PM every day. But, for 30 minutes before signing on, they would show the test pattern. I used to hurry home from school to watch it. That picture of an Indian chief was pretty riveting TV, for a ten year old.



Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

I was going to use it to test my new door and dog camera. Then I thought I'd test posting images again.

Watch this space!


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm
When I was a kid and we got our first ever TV in the house, there was only one channel available. It didn't sign on until about 5:00 PM every day. But, for 30 minutes before signing on, they would show the test pattern. I used to hurry home from school to watch it. That picture of an Indian chief was pretty riveting TV, for a ten year old.
The local newspaper used to list the programs for our only TV channel, every night. For the 4:30 to 5 PM slot every day, they listed "Test Pattern." So, I believed that Test Pattern was a real program. I was one of its biggest fans.

My mother always made me turn down the audio, a 1 KHZ tone



Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Was that CKNX-TV?


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Was that CKNX-TV?

Yes. Ch 8.
How did you guess?



Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Very soon after we got our first TV in 1956, on one Sunday Morning, a religious broadcast appeared on Channel 8 with little noise or interference, but no ID was given. It could have been WOOD-TV or WJW-TV, but there was something different about it, and I later wondered if it was CKNX-TV. It faded out after a couple of hours. When we got a better antenna and a rotator, it was a more regularly seen station.


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 pm

1 kHz tone with color bar test pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHxn7Wlyxo


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm
Very soon after we got our first TV in 1956, on one Sunday Morning, a religious broadcast appeared on Channel 8 with little noise or interference, but no ID was given. It could have been WOOD-TV or WJW-TV, but there was something different about it, and I later wondered if it was CKNX-TV. It faded out after a couple of hours. When we got a better antenna and a rotator, it was a more regularly seen station.
But, how did you know that was the one to which I referred?



Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am

You may have mentioned it before.

I remember hearing CKNX 920 back in 1967 near Harrisville, MI.


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am

CKNX is one of the oldest radio stations in Canada. It was started by a man named Doc Cruikshank. He owned a radio store in the town and decided the best way to increase sales would be to start up a local radio station.



Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am
CKNX is one of the oldest radio stations in Canada. It was started by a man named Doc Cruikshank. He owned a radio store in the town and decided the best way to increase sales would be to start up a local radio station.
CKNX moved to 920 from 1200 and briefly 1230 circa 1941. They probably would have applied to move to 890 before NARBA, but had to modify to 920. Under the US Canada Agreement, the 0.5 mV/m ground wave contour could not overlap the 0.5 mV/m ground wave contour of WFDF except over Lake Huron. WFDF was to move to 880 from 1310, but with NARBA moved to 910. The Treaty overlap rules continue to be an important consideration for WFDF and CKNX.


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Here, in London ON, about 80 miles south of their transmitter site CKNX radio has a fair signal during daylight hours.



User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 4033
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by audiophile » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I remember seeing the array when we went to that area on vacation. A few miles south of the array was a building that beacons as porch lights. I assume it was the original studio?


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Arthur Mometer
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Radar Room

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm
I remember seeing the array when we went to that area on vacation. A few miles south of the array was a building that beacons as porch lights. I assume it was the original studio?
Or maybe they bought them from that Elrod fellow who cuts the towers down of stations he doesn't like.


"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic