Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Canceled SXM Painlessly, Now Have NO Paid Streaming Services

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Taco

Canceled SXM Painlessly, Now Have NO Paid Streaming Services

Post by Taco » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:03 pm

I just canceled SXM last night. I did it using the online chat. It went a lot better than I was expecting. It only took 6-8 minutes! A couple of times they said well my subscription is only $4.99/month until July of next year because I signed up with a special offer. I declined. They asked why I was canceling. I simply told them I subscribed to Spotify and didn't need another music service and how I liked making my own playlists. However, I really didn't get Spotify. I figured if canceling wasn't about cost that they'd not bother trying to give me a better deal, and they didn't. Since the process was relatively painless than I expected, I may sign on at another point in time.

But for now, I don't have any streaming services. Honestly I just didn't like the monthly bills. It was mildly annoying that prices for subs keep going up. There are plenty of free services, Pluto is my favorite. The ads on Youtube really aren't that bad since I canceled Premium. I hear they've instituted a policy on using ad-blockers. While being ad-free was nice, it felt cheapened by the fact content creators inserted paid ads in the videos, which Premium had no effect on.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Mega Hertz

Re: Canceled SXM Painlessly, Now Have NO Paid Streaming Services

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 pm

I refuse to get rid of Sirius XM or YouTube premium. I'm not going back to "More Than a Feeling" and "Girls, Girls, Girls" 10 times a day on 6 radio stations.

And I'm also not going back to sports betting ads, beer ads, none of that shit before and after every 3 minute song.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Taco

Post by Taco » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:39 pm

I can't say that I blame you. I have a USB thumb drive I can use, I can also use iHeart Radio. SXM got kinda repetitive at times.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 pm
I refuse to get rid of Sirius XM or YouTube premium. I'm not going back to "More Than a Feeling" and "Girls, Girls, Girls" 10 times a day on 6 radio stations.

And I'm also not going back to sports betting ads, beer ads, none of that shit before and after every 3 minute song.
For it is a human number

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:35 am

My car has Sirus/XM but it's not activated. I'm too cheap. "More than a feeling" " Jump (VH)" and " Lean on me" . gets pretty old quick. I use an MP3 player; my car does not have an USB jack.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:09 am

Foamy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:35 am
My car has Sirus/XM but it's not activated. I'm too cheap. "More than a feeling" " Jump (VH)" and " Lean on me" . gets pretty old quick. I use an MP3 player; my car does not have an USB jack.
I use Apple CarPlay and the TuneIn app to stream the stations I like. Do you use one of the FM transmitters to play your MP3 player through the radio? I used to have one back in the day. :)
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am

I just have it plugged into the Aux jack, so through the radio.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:51 am

Foamy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am
Ah yes, the aux jack. Forgot about that interface :)
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:11 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:51 am
Foamy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am
Ah yes, the aux jack. Forgot about that interface :)
My car 2015 VW Passat, so obviously they were still putting them in cars then. Weird how that's old hat now. I mean, I held onto my cassette tapes till the bitter end and in recent years CD's :D . Next car, I will likely have to get a FM transmitter thing a ma jig.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:22 am

Taco wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:03 pm
I just canceled SXM last night. I did it using the online chat. It went a lot better than I was expecting. It only took 6-8 minutes! A couple of times they said well my subscription is only $4.99/month until July of next year because I signed up with a special offer. I declined. They asked why I was canceling. I simply told them I subscribed to Spotify and didn't need another music service and how I liked making my own playlists. However, I really didn't get Spotify. I figured if canceling wasn't about cost that they'd not bother trying to give me a better deal, and they didn't. Since the process was relatively painless than I expected, I may sign on at another point in time.

But for now, I don't have any streaming services. Honestly I just didn't like the monthly bills. It was mildly annoying that prices for subs keep going up. There are plenty of free services, Pluto is my favorite. The ads on Youtube really aren't that bad since I canceled Premium. I hear they've instituted a policy on using ad-blockers. While being ad-free was nice, it felt cheapened by the fact content creators inserted paid ads in the videos, which Premium had no effect on.
Interesting example of the kind of decision process that everyone is going through in these days of many choices. All of these options have this very subliminal way of creating wants we never realized we had.

I stayed with SiriusXM after the intro offer because of the wider variety of rock music, the classical music channel, the 40s channel, and some other channels. I'm also a big fan of Frndly TV right now, which has many cable channels and digital subchannels at less than $10 a month. But I've got big piles of DVDs and CDs, and the many free TV options, for that day when I might have to get rid of those services.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:54 pm

I know a lot of people play the game to get a better deal, but if you are truly looking to cancel, then I think doing so via the chat is the best route. Perhaps one day they might even allow cancellation through their website like every other streaming service out there. I didn't sign up for SXM for many years because I knew firsthand how difficult it was to cancel. Truth be told, I was a bit apprehensive about signing up again this summer. But I decided to give it a shot. After a few months I got to thinking, man I don't really wanna have to go through the spiel when it comes time to cancel next year. And this is when I decided to try the online chat. So there you have it.
For it is a human number

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic