Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How bad has SXM and livestream/podcasting hurt trad radio?

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Deleted User 9015

How bad has SXM and livestream/podcasting hurt trad radio?

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:21 am

How bad has SXM and livestream/podcasting hurt trad radio? Has it impacted listener numbers? If so how significantly? I never use normal radio, neither does my wife or her family. I really haven't been in a car where people used trad radio for years? I have to guess its been a H*** hit for trad radio to take.

Art Van Damme

Re: How bad has SXM and livestream/podcasting hurt trad radio?

Post by Art Van Damme » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:30 am

I have no hard numbers, just anecdotes, to consider.

My teenage daughter is aware of radio, but uses her own money for a Spotify premium service. She is aware of and uses SXM in the car. No radio usage.

My wife has a radio in the bathroom and listens to NPR while getting ready for work. In the car, she listens to SXM. Radio usage: maximum 40 minutes/day.

I, myself, listen to Apple Music at home (old ITunes). I own an iPod classic 160g and listen to that in the car. (No paid SXM in my vehicle) Rarely check WWJ for weather-check. Sometimes will spend time listening to my record collection.

I would surmise that over the air radio has already become less relevant for a good number of the population in urban/suburban areas.

As a side note: Back in the day, when cellphones first became prominent in vehicles, I noticed drivers engaged in conversation on their phones and not ‘listening’ to the radio. The lessening impact of radio has been happening for a while.

My 2 cents worth, oh wait, coin shortage...ok $2.

Over and out,
Art

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic