Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SXM

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Turkeytop

SXM

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 pm

After the two companies merged, even after they integrated their channel lineup, they still continued with two separate services. There were receivers for Serius and receivers for XM. Do they still do that?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15502

Re: SXM

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Hmm No idea. I got a free preview in my car this past weekend and honestly I scratched my head at what the hype was all about. It seemed every time I was in the car, it was the same old songs. I'll grant you they did play tracks OTA radio never does but to pay for it, it's not something I can really justify.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 pm
After the two companies merged, even after they integrated their channel lineup, they still continued with two separate services. There were receivers for Serius and receivers for XM. Do they still do that?
Yep, especially in new cars. But they also put in newer radios that receive the signal from both services (a true SiriusXM radio).

Pretty sure that most all the aftermarket radios being sold as new these days use either just what was XM bandwidth or can use data from both services (a SiriusXM radio).

You can bet that they won't be giving back or turning off any of their bandwidth as long as they stay in business the way they are now.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Still wasting half their bandwidth with the duplication of all channels to feed the old Sirius radios when they should take a one-time hit and flush the half the bandwidth that has Sirius and change it to "SXM" (XM encoding) and then have nearly double the number of satellite channels and mail out a bingo card to Sirius subs that they can take to Best Buy and get a 'plug-and-play' SXM radio to replace it?
FWIW, the combined service still only has half the original bandwidth requested, but the NAB and others were sure to make certain that the (two) satellite providers only got half the bandwidth that they asked for, resulting in shittier sound as they added more channels.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic