Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why do they change the songs?!!

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
radiojunkie2002

Why do they change the songs?!!

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:11 am

Hello-
I uploaded a boatload of songs into my Google Play Music.
Most of them are changed to (new) re-mixes of the same song, with additional instruments or something noticeable.
Basically, I upload a song that is the original,
an .mp3 file from a cd,
or a song download from I-tunes Years ago..
and now magically these songs now are different than the original. Some of them are so bad, i remove them.
I understand that it is in the fine print of the user agreement, but I find it very distracting and annoying.
Most of the songs are like this on the radio too. Everywhere. XM radio, in stores, etc.
I wonder why?
Is it because -in order for the artists to continue receiving royalties that the songs need to be updated to renew it?
I think this is just like editing history books, touching up the Mona-Lisa, adding racing stripes on an antique car.. etc..

Ed Joseph

Re: Why do they change the songs?!!

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:25 pm

This is why I collect records! There is so much rerecorded crap on all these services. What amazes me, and it's been happening for decades, is when radio stations have these rerecordings in their libraries. Two off hand are Reflections "Just Like Romeo and Juliet" and Neil Sedaka's "The Immigrant" . I even fixed the former in the WTRX library in 1986/87 when I was there!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Three songs where the original single versions are rarely heard, and hard to find.

Make Me Smile-Chicago-Too many outtakes like intro/outro/breaks passed off as the original.

Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get-Dramatics-Violin track on intro is apparently from original LP version.

December, 1963 (Oh What A Night)-Four Seasons-Phased piano on Valli solos is attenuated and unphased, and some tracks are Right Left reversed, and apparently from the original LP version.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:54 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:13 pm
Three songs where the original single versions are rarely heard, and hard to find.

Make Me Smile-Chicago-Too many outtakes like intro/outro/breaks passed off as the original.

Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get-Dramatics-Violin track on intro is apparently from original LP version.

December, 1963 (Oh What A Night)-Four Seasons-Phased piano on Valli solos is attenuated and unphased, and some tracks are Right Left reversed, and apparently from the original LP version.
The 45rpm single of December 1963 has the phasing effect on Frankie Valli's vocal and piano break. The album mix does not. The single mix was most recently reissued on Rhino's "Jersey Beat" box set.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I can vouch the Chicago edit was terrible, as were ALL the edited versions from CTA.

As for the Dramatics, the violin appears only on the LP version.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:09 pm

A music teacher told me that a lot of jazz horn players were inspired by the pseudo improvisation on MMS. But it's sufficient at 3:00 for a Top 40 record.

On youtube, the WYSIWYG album cut is passed off as the single. The Soul Train version is the only original I can find.

On an original monaural AM promo version of 12-63, the "De-cem-ber" repeating guitar riff is eliminated. I suspect that the rhythmic syllabic riff replaced repeating "De-cem-ber" vocals in an earlier envisioned take of the song.

Interesting fact-both 12-63 co-composer Judy Parker-Gaudio, (Westland, MI native, MSU Grad, and the blonde girl on the Breck Shampoo Bottle), and "Seinfeld" and "Midnight Cowboy" actor Bob Balaban (of the Chicago broadcasting family, the first B in WBKB Channel 7) appeared on the short lived 1965 TV series "Hank", about a college "drop-in".

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Users on a tech forum I visit elsewhere have just this week been discussing how cloud storage services like Dropbox and seemingly others use will do "de-duping," of users' music uploads. Meaning that their servers don't need to hold a zillion copies of everyone's mp3s of the same song title, just one copy each of any versions that might differ (single vs album, club mix vs vocal mix etc.). So it's very likely that the music you're playing back is is absolutely not the same mp3 file that that you uploaded from your local drive. De-duping algorithms will often overlook or miss subtle differences in released recordings of the same song- a slightly different mix or arrangement, intro/outro and substitute the most generic or widely released for all of them. This seems like the most likely explanation for what's going on with your music. Best advice is to make sure you keep local copies of all your tracks, in case you want/need to migrate them to some other cloud service.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am

Someone reported to me NOT to tie an old (7yr old) iPad back to the NEW and improved replacement for iTunes as it would or COULD remove my songs and replace then with the same title, but not the same as what I originally had!? Any truth to that?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am

I have an Amazon Music subscription. They no longer support user uploads, so I basically get what they have on their servers. Also use Google Play Music for my own uploads, although I don't subscribe to their unlimited streaming platform. Basically, Google just gives me the library I upload.

As I don't use Google Play Music all that often, I haven't really noticed if my uploaded tracks are being "updated", although I can vouch for the fact that Amazon Music is full of cover versions, which is rather frustrating at times. Only reason I subscribe to Amazon's music service is because I have Prime, which gives me a $2 break on the music subscription (yeah, I'm cheap). Back when I had a subscription with Google, I experienced much the same issue with songs I streamed from their servers. Wouldn't surprise me if they manage personal libraries. Just one of the pitfalls of relying on a cloud service as a virtual record cabinet I guess.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic