Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mandating HD Radio

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Deleted User 14935

Mandating HD Radio

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

Does anyone think HD Radio will ever be mandated ? And if so what will happen to broadcast radio ? Will that be the endgame for broadcast radio ? Currently there’s a Texas Broadcasting Company that wants the FCC to approve digital only broadcasting on AM, And there’s also a station in the D.C. area on AM conducting all digital testing. In my opinion if mandated all digital AM happens that would be the end of AM radio, People will not run out and buy new radios for AM listening and the same holds true for FM and where are the radio manufacturers on this whole HD Radio thing, I know the auto industry is putting HD in cars but what about portables and home units, Walk into a Wal-Mart or any other store and see if you can even find an HD Radio they’re not there, All digital radio broadcasting in Europe is currently failing and in those countries they’re actually quitting the digital radio transition and keeping FM broadcasting, And one more thing in the U.S.A. We have nearly 1 Billion radio receivers are we going to obsolete a billion radios just like that, So what do you think ?

WOHO

Re: Mandating HD Radio

Post by WOHO » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:19 am

Mandating technology that requires a royalty is a non-starter, unless you want a coupon system to give people radios. Also, HD on FM only, and jack it up to 10db, or it doesn't match analog's coverage. NO HD on the AM band; if anything, and HD FM radio must carry CQUAM AM stereo and noise blankers and variable bandwidth wide and narrow, like 7.5KHz audio bandwidth and 5KHz minimum.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:03 pm

When you say HD FM radio must carry CQUAM AM stereo what do you mean, Or did you mean HD AM ?

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm

I suspect that there is a thought break missing between "HD FM" and "radio must carry...".

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed May 15, 2019 2:18 pm

No, there is an FCC filing for some jughead that wants the entire AM band to be HD-AM digital only mode. Let's see, how well did that work in Canada with their L-Band back in 1999- that's right, they sold the radios for $99 and then everybody bailed. AM radio is our last caveman communication existence when a Carrigton Event returns to earth, or a purpose-like EMP destroys us and sets us back 50-60 years instantly. AM radio, tube transmitter, will be the only gave left in town to reach the masses. Going digital will put 800million radios in the dump- stupid plan. Use 1710-1790 for digital only, or forget about it.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Agreed, 800 million radios is just the USA total and how many more world wide maybe twice that, That’s a lot of radios. And I say forget the Digital radio for both AM & FM we have Digital in streaming that’s all we need.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 pm

I know I wouldn't bother replacing my radios for HD reception, mandated or otherwise. I think digital-only radio on either band is a bad idea, which would kill terrestrial broadcasting in a heartbeat.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Deleted User 14992 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm
Agreed, 800 million radios is just the USA total and how many more world wide maybe twice that, That’s a lot of radios. And I say forget the Digital radio for both AM & FM we have Digital in streaming that’s all we need.
And no transmission facilities are needed for streams, plus streaming works on pretty much any computer, tablet or smartphone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic