All accepted registrations through January 19 at 5:30p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Difference between Sirius and XM before the merger.

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
radioandtventhusiast

Difference between Sirius and XM before the merger.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 pm

I've only been into radio for about 10 years, but I've always wondered, what was the difference between Sirius, and XM prior to the merger? I've heard that XM'S playlists were very deep, and there was great sound quality. Sirius's playlists were similar to FM and had more options for non-music programming. What else do you remember about Sirius and XM prior to the merger?

Realist

Re: Difference between Sirius and XM before the merger.

Post by Realist » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 pm

You pretty much described it perfectly. I had XM and was part of the first 1 million subscribers. Very deep playlist and a “wow” factor all the time on most channels, as they were playing songs you hadn’t heard in years. Had a rental car once that has Sirius in it and found it was pretty much corporate radio – not much variety and the same songs over and over.

When the merger first happened, it seemed to still be that narrow playlist. Playlists have opened up a little bit but not as much as when it was XM. Regardless, there’s no way in hell I would go without satellite radio in my vehicle as broadcast radio drives me crazy with their limited playlist and repetition

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic