Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Funny incidents calling radio stations

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
stopnswop2

Funny incidents calling radio stations

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:23 am

What are some funny things that happened regarding calling into a radio station?

I'll start with 2

-I called with a pre-recorded prank of Santa Claus and dj sat there and had a conversation with it.

-I called to request a song. He didn't have any fill-in time that length so he just played it over the phone for me
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Music is my life.

Mega Hertz

Re: Funny incidents calling radio stations

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:15 pm

Not me calling in, but someone calling me.

I used to do a lot of overnight fill-ins. One Saturday night, I had an intoxicated gentleman call in and try to tell me that Ronnie James Dio and Ozzy Osbourne were in Black Sabbath at the same time.

Another person called in to request Stranglehold, and being so young and scared to make any changes, told him I wouldn't have time to get it on. Which, in retrospect, I probably could have played it and dropped a couple of other songs, but I wasn't gonna risk it. Anyway, this guy proceeded to harass me. He wasn't gonna hang up the phone until I promised it. This went on longer than the song is.

I could spend hours in this thread.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Our afternoon DJ (at WCSX) stepped out on a Saturday afternoon shift to burn a J, and locked herself out. The dead air alarms brought out the engineers. Phones ringing off the hook.

She was job hunting on Monday.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:33 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm
Our afternoon DJ (at WCSX) stepped out on a Saturday afternoon shift to burn a J, and locked herself out. The dead air alarms brought out the engineers. Phones ringing off the hook.

I stepped out many times at WCSX to burn a j. Didn't help, I was still a shitty DJ🤣

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:57 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:33 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm

I stepped out many times at WCSX to burn a j. Didn't help, I was still a shitty DJ🤣
This was a well know afternoon personality. She moved around and ended up in Grand Rapids.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:47 am

This happened while I was in Kansas City back in the mid 80’s.

Local newspaper had an article that an AC station out there was allegedly pursuing the morning man Max from the local top rated rock station in town (KY102).

Less than a week later, he does a bit, trying to get a reaction, by playing a Barry Manilow song on the air. He starts taking phone calls LIVE on the air. People are calling in with their disdain for this song. I call in, get thru and he answers. I say “Hey, Max, I guess it’s true. You are going to KMBR”. Pause for a couple seconds, he says nothing and hangs up. He took the next call off the air then puts them on the air shortly thereafter.

What a dumbass for putting people on the air in a major market with no 7 second delay

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:15 pm
Not me calling in, but someone calling me.

I used to do a lot of overnight fill-ins. One Saturday night, I had an intoxicated gentleman call in and try to tell me that Ronnie James Dio and Ozzy Osbourne were in Black Sabbath at the same time.

Another person called in to request Stranglehold, and being so young and scared to make any changes, told him I wouldn't have time to get it on. Which, in retrospect, I probably could have played it and dropped a couple of other songs, but I wasn't gonna risk it. Anyway, this guy proceeded to harass me. He wasn't gonna hang up the phone until I promised it. This went on longer than the song is.

I could spend hours in this thread.
When were you at 94.7? I used to drive a truck locally in Detroit Metro during the 90’s for Dunkin’ Donuts and listened to a lot of radio overnight. I was a fan of 89X, WCSX, WRIF and Z-Rock 102.7. Overnight radio was actually great to listen to back in the day. Now the subject at hand, back in the early 80’s I used to call radio stations and requested songs a lot, I had a favorite station at that time which was 102.7 WLBS in the disco era. I worked overnight as a janitor cleaning fast food restaurants, it was my first business, I had 3 contracts from window cleaning to interior cleaning of the food establishments. So for a while, I would call up this disc jockey from WLBS and talk for hours about any and everything. We started to talk about our girl friends at that time, the Disc Jockey was a dude named Kim Travis. So as we continue the conversation he mentioned his girlfriend’s name, I asked him her name more than once and ask him where she was living and he told me, come to find out it was my cousin. Kim Travis later married my cousin. As they say the rest is history. Another cool story is I used to chat a lot to Scott Miller from CKLW around 1980. Scott invited me to tour CKLW while he did his overnight gig. Scott is one of the nicest guys in radio and is currently doing country at a station in Bangor, Maine I think it’s Country 106.5, Scott can adapt to any format and a likable personality.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 am

I was coming south on I-75 once and I saw a car fire. I called it in to WWJ traffic, and got JoJo Shutty-MacGregor on the other end. I told her that it was a car-B-que.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 am

WTAC & a "WOO" to you too that was The Raspberries with "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)", 11 minutes in front of 4:00 with Fred "Boogie" Bryan!! (November of 1974) Also in 1978, WTAC & a little "do do do do do" to you too that was Gerry Rafferty "Right Down The Line" with (the late) Johnny Cole!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic