Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another random thought about TV ratings

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Deleted User 14896

Another random thought about TV ratings

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 am

How are cable TV ratings derived?
Is there something thru the cable companies that is keeping track on who's watching what channel?
And just to be curious, how do they ascertain over the air viewership?
Depending on the answer, I may have a follow up question regarding the cable ratings.
Thanks.

km1125

Re: Another random thought about TV ratings

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 pm

I can't speak to all the various methods, but with cable companies they most definitely track who's watching what channel and for how long. Most can even track more discretely to different people in the same household when they offer options to set your own 'favorites' or 'saved content'. Any streaming service can do the same.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:28 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 pm
I can't speak to all the various methods, but with cable companies they most definitely track who's watching what channel and for how long. Most can even track more discretely to different people in the same household when they offer options to set your own 'favorites' or 'saved content'. Any streaming service can do the same.
Thanks for the information.
Do you think the cable companies share this info with rating collectors?
Let's say more folks with cable watched ABC instead of NBC one night.
How would the networks, and more importantly the advertisers know this?

I'm still going somewhere here depending on the answer I get.

Thanks.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:04 pm

I thought ratings were basically established by Nielsen tracking with people meters in an undisclosed number of households and maybe a small number of paper diaries.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic