Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Do we need a Non-Commerical portion of FM Anymore?

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Ed Joseph

Re: Do we need a Non-Commerical portion of FM Anymore?

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 pm

I have to say... listening to FM is a joke anymore. There is interference on practically every channel. And they want the FCC to do away with adjacent channel protection now.

Edit: the latter only affects TV adjacents, evidently. M$ wants them for rural broadband.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

EdWalker

Re: Do we need a Non-Commerical portion of FM Anymore?

Post by EdWalker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 pm

AMs on FM translators was a pure economic move that that did nothing to help the state of AM. If anything, it made it less relevant. Why should someone have a license to rebroadcast in the same area what they already have a license to air? It helped a business, nothing more. And totally f'd the FM band to make it hard to listen.

But greed is the American way. So what happens to all these AMs that air the same programming as a translator (aka "low powered FM")???? They exist now because they have to be on the air to support the FM signal.

Look for a petition for rulemaking at some point in the future to allow AMs to turn off their transmitters and just be 250-watt FM stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic