Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Deleted User 4520

Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Is there much money to be had in hard rock/metal radio? I just don't hear many stations that are dedicated to this genre...I'm not talking about the Disturbed's, Linkin Park's, Theory of a Deadman's, etc...I'm talking about having bands like W.A.S.P., Exodus, Sepultura, etc on a regular rotation. If lack of money is the reason these types of stations aren't around, how would such a station fare? I would personally love this but it's not up to me. Actually a Hair Nation format would be just peachy.

k8jd

Re: Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Post by k8jd » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm

JD Opinion Time
Since media is generally aimed at the formats that are predicted to have the most listeners and the max $$$ from advertizments, I expect the extremes of music I.E, hard metal on one end and classical on the other end , of the musical spectrum would not have much chance to be broadcast on commercial stations.
I recall WABX in Detroit, in the 1960's, had adopted an "unformatted" format of some very modern "acid rock" music that was shunned by the top 40 format rockers as too extreme. It did not last long, advertizers with serious funding stayed away in droves and the music went away. Eventually this music creeped into the top 40 playlists and was accepted. Record sales trumped "standards of decency".
TODAY, The government sponsored stations like School owned or NPR and CBC network members do have some edgy and "experimental" music on late at night sometimes. Maybe this is what you wanted ?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 am

One of the last times I was in LA there was a station called KNAC that kind of sounds like the station you described. I don't know long that format lasted. This was December of 1988.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:47 am

KNAC.com has a live stream.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

TheForce wrote:KNAC.com has a live stream.
KNAC lives on only as a website. KNAC-FM, the actual radio station, changed format and probably call letters several years ago.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Good Topic, I was listening to old air checks of Z rock the other day. My dream format would be older 80s metal and hard rock with some 90s stuff mixed in. No Vanhalen, Aerosmith, and 80s butt rock at a minimum.

Bands like Iron Maiden, Merciful fate, Tony Martin era Black Sabbath, Pantera, even getting into like STP's Core album or Alice in chains. I know this would probably sell no ad's but its fun to think about.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 am

I just feel some genres are under represented on the airwaves. There are always lots of country, classic rock, and pop stations. But really no metal stations. It's pretty much the same for music award shows. Metalheads are just as loyal to their genre as a country and pop is to theirs.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:06 pm

I've actually wondered about the lack of these stations too.
Could it be that metalheads don't seem to listen to mainstream music/radio much?
I know that every metal head I know is that way, so maybe the business noticed this as well?

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Money in hard rock radio? Absolutely!

I would put WRIF, KQRC, WHQG, KISW, WEBN and KUPD in the hard rock category. All of the above make money hand over fist.

Heavy metal is a completely different story and is not viable as a commercial FM terrestrial format.

Hair metal is a novelty subgenre that is best left for weekend specialty programming.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Im suprised that this type of format hasnt turned up on an HD channel on lets say WOMC as to take listeners back and away from stations like WRIF.But with lack of HD radio exposure maybe its not worth the effort.

There's no bigger hard rock/metal fan then me and to get anything even close to accepable I had to go to SXM.And even theyre not perfect but with stations like Z rock and KNAC long gone you wont hear those formats on FM ever again.

I used to like Wounded Radio on Z Rock on sunday nights with Sharkman they played the heaviest of the heavy at that time.I also listen to my airchecks that I have.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:58 pm

I agree that it would be a good format to use on an HD-only side channel.

I believe the Full Metal Jackie channel from iFartRadio still runs on WBFX-HD2 in Grand Rapids. I am surprised her programming isn't used in more markets.

I have no idea if the indie/rock/local music channel known as Riff2 still exists. Even prior to the sale of WRIF to Beasley Media, management seemed to figure out that HD Radio is a complete & total dud and decided to no longer waste precious time on WRIF's airwaves to promote Riff2.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 am

I think for the metalheads out there that many have just tuned out of terrestrial radio all together. Can't blame them for feeling alienated. Often I'll just plug in my phone in the car and stream iHeart specialty stations.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't have XM in the car, the radio is equipped for it but it's not active. I'm too cheap. As far as rock radio, I agree. To me it's bland and boring. Van Halen, Aerosmith, Blue oyster cult, Pearl jam, Metallica( well same old 3 songs and always from the black album), Nirvana, The Who, Pink floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.... just so burned out. I guess I feel I graduated from that stuff long ago and got into deeper less corporate stuff. Then throw in Nickleback, shinedown, and consider me gone gone gone.

I like 80's metal(and no not LA hairbands) and some 90s stuff, don't care for death metal or the kind that sounds like a growling grizzly bear.

I never hear stuff like Iron Maiden(rarely), King Diamond, Grim Reaper, Kick Axe, Pantera(once in awhile), Megadeth( very little), Non Ozzy Black Sabbath(Martin or even Dio era), and a few others.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic