Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
TheForce

Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Post by TheForce » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Is there much money to be had in hard rock/metal radio? I just don't hear many stations that are dedicated to this genre...I'm not talking about the Disturbed's, Linkin Park's, Theory of a Deadman's, etc...I'm talking about having bands like W.A.S.P., Exodus, Sepultura, etc on a regular rotation. If lack of money is the reason these types of stations aren't around, how would such a station fare? I would personally love this but it's not up to me. Actually a Hair Nation format would be just peachy.

k8jd

Re: Hard Rock/Metal Radio

Post by k8jd » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm

JD Opinion Time
Since media is generally aimed at the formats that are predicted to have the most listeners and the max $$$ from advertizments, I expect the extremes of music I.E, hard metal on one end and classical on the other end , of the musical spectrum would not have much chance to be broadcast on commercial stations.
I recall WABX in Detroit, in the 1960's, had adopted an "unformatted" format of some very modern "acid rock" music that was shunned by the top 40 format rockers as too extreme. It did not last long, advertizers with serious funding stayed away in droves and the music went away. Eventually this music creeped into the top 40 playlists and was accepted. Record sales trumped "standards of decency".
TODAY, The government sponsored stations like School owned or NPR and CBC network members do have some edgy and "experimental" music on late at night sometimes. Maybe this is what you wanted ?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 am

One of the last times I was in LA there was a station called KNAC that kind of sounds like the station you described. I don't know long that format lasted. This was December of 1988.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:47 am

KNAC.com has a live stream.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

TheForce wrote:KNAC.com has a live stream.
KNAC lives on only as a website. KNAC-FM, the actual radio station, changed format and probably call letters several years ago.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Good Topic, I was listening to old air checks of Z rock the other day. My dream format would be older 80s metal and hard rock with some 90s stuff mixed in. No Vanhalen, Aerosmith, and 80s butt rock at a minimum.

Bands like Iron Maiden, Merciful fate, Tony Martin era Black Sabbath, Pantera, even getting into like STP's Core album or Alice in chains. I know this would probably sell no ad's but its fun to think about.

Cumulus, please do Toledo a favor and Blow 106.5 The Ticket up.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 am

I just feel some genres are under represented on the airwaves. There are always lots of country, classic rock, and pop stations. But really no metal stations. It's pretty much the same for music award shows. Metalheads are just as loyal to their genre as a country and pop is to theirs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic