Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Speeding up TV to fit in more spots.

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Plate Cap

Speeding up TV to fit in more spots.

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:06 am

Obviously, it's been going on since the sixties with radio, but as a dedicated 'Law and Order' rerun watcher, I'm recently amazed at what WGN is doing with their product.

The entire beat of the investigation, the chatter, and the court room banter has changed. The theme song now sounds like an Irish jig rather than the traditional one.

I can get around the spots with the DVR, but it's yet another pain in the butt that broadcast TV is killing itself with.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Calvert DeForest

Re: Speeding up TV to fit in more spots.

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:30 am

Along these lines....

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45172

It's okay to be bored once in a while.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:47 am

TBS ran their 24 hours of a Christmas Story sped up by 13.5 PERCENT. It was completely unwatchable, not to mention that amounts to an additional 3 hours of commercials over the course of the 24-hour marathon.

Seriously though, how does TBS think that the average viewer will not notice that amount of speeding up? Anything over 2 or 3 percent would be noticeable to me. 13+ percent is just pure insanity.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 am

bmw wrote:TBS ran their 24 hours of a Christmas Story sped up by 13.5 PERCENT. It was completely unwatchable, not to mention that amounts to an additional 3 hours of commercials over the course of the 24-hour marathon.

Seriously though, how does TBS think that the average viewer will not notice that amount of speeding up? Anything over 2 or 3 percent would be noticeable to me. 13+ percent is just pure insanity.
I noticed that. The fiddle music bed for the Bumpas' dog scenes was absolutely frenetic.

Like I said, just another nail in the conventional TV coffin.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:11 am

Plate Cap wrote:
bmw wrote:TBS ran their 24 hours of a Christmas Story sped up by 13.5 PERCENT. It was completely unwatchable, not to mention that amounts to an additional 3 hours of commercials over the course of the 24-hour marathon.

I noticed that. The fiddle music bed for the Bumpas' dog scenes was absolutely frenetic.

Like I said, just another nail in the conventional TV coffin.
I really don't understand how the greed has become such that we either increase the rate at which our shows are played (by a significant amount) to add more spot, or end up cutting out H*** chunks of the original show (ie, Peanuts specials)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 pm

organman95 wrote: I really don't understand how the greed has become such that we either increase the rate at which our shows are played (by a significant amount) to add more spot, or end up cutting out H*** chunks of the original show (ie, Peanuts specials)
Or worse -- do both.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Next thing you know, they'll try packing an hour total of commercials into a half-hour program.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

I no longer maintain my RabbitEars.info DX listing.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 am

mtburb wrote:Next thing you know, they'll try packing an hour total of commercials into a half-hour program.
Oh, just you wait!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 am

It's okay to be bored once in a while.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Always a classic!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic