All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WWV On Your Phone

A place to discuss XM, Sirius, and internet radio.
Turkeytop

WWV On Your Phone

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:42 am

At four minutes past each hour WWV has started giving a telephone number where you can hear the WWV audio feed over your phone. The number they give is 303 499 7111. I've tried it and it works.

So, I'm a geek.

SolarMax

Re: WWV On Your Phone

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:48 am

NIST has provided phone access to WWV for many years. I haven't tuned it in the old fashioned way in some time so didn't know they were publicizing the phone number on-air (caller Number 11 wins tickets to Morris Day and the Time?). Before there were better ways to find out the exact time, a station I worked at used to require a daily call to that number to assure the station clock was to-the-second correct.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Now, deep in the trough of this horrible solar cycle 24, there are times when you cant hear WWV on any of their frequencies.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Any one out there who can fix my Radio Shack Time Cube?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm
Any one out there who can fix my Radio Shack Time Cube?

Any one know where I can get one? I have the weather cube. Found it at a yard sale a few years ago. I'd love to have the matching time cube.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Seem like time may have past on getting one of those.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Don Elliot Heald from WSB Atlanta, GA was the legacy voice of WWV. Jane Barbe was the legacy voice of the Time Lady and WWVH. According to Wikipedia, Jane Barbe is still the voice of WWVH, although both Heald and Barbe have passed away.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Would be a really boring job. Sitting there for the entire shift, every day, reading the time.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 am

The phone connection only holds for about a minute or two, which makes sense as one needs only 60 seconds to hear the time and top-of-minute pulse. I believe that's the way the dial-in service has worked since it was established in the late 70's.

On a semi-related topic, if you're interested in doing some shortwave DX and you don't have a radio of your own, you may like this alternative:

http://www.globaltuners.com/

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

They don't use WSB Don's voice on WWV anymore like they did in the 70s/80s, it's all a 'relative' of "Perfect Paul" now, isn't it, like the NOAA WX Radio digitized audio?

CHU Canada should have used their old "CBC Voice of Doom" - Lorne Greene, to make their time announcements!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:34 pm

If it is a robo-voice it's a lot better than what NOAA uses. The extended top-of-hour ID announcement sounds pretty seamless.

NOAA calls their current voice Perfect Pete. Perfect Paul was the first incarnation way back when.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I am not always near a telefone (I have a trakfone but often forget to take it when I leave the house) but even on a vacation, camping in the forest , I have a good Shortwave portable radio with me ! Night or day one of the six frequencies is loud and clear . Even if WWV was not strong enough to hear, I think CHU would come thru in this state. Often several Frequencies can be heard at one time.
Cellfone coverage is spotty in northern forests at best.
It sometimes takes a few false starts and retries to set my Timex Digi watch to the exact second. If the fone disconnects after a minute I would have to start all over.
A silly Idea from my viewpoint !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic