Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Horrible Writing/Reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Daypart

Horrible Writing/Reporting

Post by Daypart » Wed May 31, 2017 11:27 pm

I was watching Wednesday's Fox 2's 11pm newscast. Dave Spencer did a report on some occurrence in Waterford. He started the story as a narration in the present tense: "The suspect runs down the street..." Abruptly, he changed into past tense. It was something that even a middle school student knows not to do.

The story before that was about a charter school and the reporter (I can't remember who it was) said "We reached out to Joe Blow for a comment but haven't heard back. Although it was very late when we reached out, so that might be it."

The third instance in just 20 minutes: I saw was a very biased story by a reporter named Coco (?) on Channel 4. It was a story about illegal aliens in southwest Detroit and how they were scared. She conducted an interview with 2 young ladies in which she spoke Spanish to them. The girls replied in perfect English. The entire piece presented only one side of the issue. She compared stats from two time periods that severely skewed the numbers. It was bad.

Each time I watch the locals in Detroit, they get worse.

NS8401

Re: Horrible Writing/Reporting

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:27 am

Daypart wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:27 pm
I was watching Wednesday's Fox 2's 11pm newscast. Dave Spencer did a report on some occurrence in Waterford. He started the story as a narration in the present tense: "The suspect runs down the street..." Abruptly, he changed into past tense. It was something that even a middle school student knows not to do.

The story before that was about a charter school and the reporter (I can't remember who it was) said "We reached out to Joe Blow for a comment but haven't heard back. Although it was very late when we reached out, so that might be it."

The third instance in just 20 minutes: I saw was a very biased story by a reporter named Coco (?) on Channel 4. It was a story about illegal aliens in southwest Detroit and how they were scared. She conducted an interview with 2 young ladies in which she spoke Spanish to them. The girls replied in perfect English. The entire piece presented only one side of the issue. She compared stats from two time periods that severely skewed the numbers. It was bad.

Each time I watch the locals in Detroit, they get worse.
Coco McAvoy... I saw her over the weekend and her report was absolutely terribly done... she is Fargo material and nothing more...

For whatever it's worth these are the two higher rated stations at 11 with the people who count which may say something about those viewers if this kind of stuff sounds great...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:37 am

I have turned my antenna and started watching Frank Turner. Enough with the Detroit garbage...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Big Signal

Post by Big Signal » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 am

Good reason to stop watching local news like I did many years ago.
It's all about the money!

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Today, Randy Wembley (?) on channel 4 referred to a suspect as "a white guy"

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Daypart wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 pm
Today, Randy Wembley (?) on channel 4 referred to a suspect as "a white guy"
Another of 4's "why are you here???" Reporters...

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Ummmm...Randy Wimbley works for the Deuce, fellas.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:27 am

IIN4MU wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 pm
Ummmm...Randy Wimbley works for the Deuce, fellas.
Good point... I was thinking of Will Jones... but he's in Chicago now... oops...

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:06 am

OK. It was Wembley on 2 then. My mistake. I can't keep track of these bush league reporters.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Running the inherent risk of being mocked for spelling a name correctly, I key in Koco McAboy, who, when she started on-air at WOOD TV in Grand Rapids, went by Consuela.

Sounds like the lack of editing and news direction offered by an operation is impacting a young reporter's product here.

I may know the white guy suspected in that story. I kid.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:54 pm
Running the inherent risk of being mocked for spelling a name correctly, I key in Koco McAboy, who, when she started on-air at WOOD TV in Grand Rapids, went by Consuela.

Sounds like the lack of editing and news direction offered by an operation is impacting a young reporter's product here.

I may know the white guy suspected in that story. I kid.
4's product is sometimes just thrown together...

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 am

It's about time someone actually noticed the garbage on TV news these days. It's an absolute joke.

Unwatchable, bush league and desperate.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 am

I have long predicted the demise of terrestrial radio, but it will continue on much longer than local TV will. For the reasons mentioned here and more, I give it 7-10 years tops.

Closer to topic here, I find the annoying overuse of "Like" entering the repertoire of new reporters, especially when they relax and talk off script a little. It is a pretty handy tool, though, for separating the poorly educated or less intelligent from the better educated
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I wonder if Frank could work his way back to Detroit. I wonder if he even wants to.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Tonight at 11, Jermont Terry did a story on a tow company. They showed an invoice for 644 days of storage. His v/o said 664 days. He then referenced a "statue" that allows the tow company to charge storage.

I just don't understand how someone in charge over there doesn't see how bad this comes across.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 am

Daypart wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 pm
Tonight at 11, Jermont Terry did a story on a tow company. They showed an invoice for 644 days of storage. His v/o said 664 days. He then referenced a "statue" that allows the tow company to charge storage.

I just don't understand how someone in charge over there doesn't see how bad this comes across.
They don't care as long as their viewers are too stupid to catch it... I notice silly mistakes at 7 as well but usually not from the reporters... a lot of the time it's in the newsroom where it gets garbled...

I don't know what 2 has been up to but it's probably the same "um... this isn't really a lead story..." that they've been doing for a while to great results...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic