Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer signs Michigan gun violence prevention bills

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Whitmer signs Michigan gun violence prevention bills

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:22 pm
Guns are a bigger priority, but DHHS is being restructured to better meet the needs. The Republicans have left a mess and it is going to take time to fix.

Do you have any experience with this population? I was the guardian of a homeless person with mental illness, the legislature starved the DHHS and it's a mess.
Guns are only a bigger priority because the Dems don't want to address the actual problems, they just want to control the population. Disarm the citizenry and the only people with guns will be the government and the criminals. They'll leave the law abiding citizens to the mercy of the criminals and continue to increase government authority over the population.

So much for a free country and "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:31 pm
New legislation isn't the solution, holding sheriffs accountable is a solution, and they're old Republican white men who just don't care.

Sorry you couldn't keep up.
You mean like Warren Evans or Raphael Washington?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:31 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:52 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:58 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:36 pm
It's pretty clear. People who shouldn't be in possession of firearms are breaking laws that mostly Republican Sheriff's choose to ignore.

No Republican wants to protect Americans by preventing against gun violence. Why aren't we seeing weapons seized like cops like to publicize drug busts?
Wrong as usual: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlns.c ... -term/amp/
Actually, 82% are Republican... So nice try.

Read and learn
https://wholeads.us/research/americas-sheriffs/
the report says that about 90% of the nation's sheriffs are white men even though they are 30% of the population. And that's an even more - how can I say this? - skewed demographic than exists in most police departments these days. Is that correct? How did that come about?

CARTER: That's right. And for us, that's a real red flag. When we see something like we see with sheriff's offices, which is tremendous power combined with an extreme lack of accountability, that raises real questions about who that position serves, whether it's even a position that makes sense at all and what it means for democracy and sort of the functioning of society that those combination of factors are all concentrated in one position.
What the fuck are you going on about?
New legislation isn't the solution, holding sheriffs accountable is a solution, and they're old Republican white men who just don't care.

Sorry you couldn't keep up.
Prosecutors and police chiefs are more impactful than sheriffs, chief.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:20 pm
Read and learn
https://wholeads.us/research/americas-sheriffs/
the report says that about 90% of the nation's sheriffs are white men even though they are 30% of the population. And that's an even more - how can I say this? - skewed demographic than exists in most police departments these days. Is that correct? How did that come about?

CARTER: That's right. And for us, that's a real red flag. When we see something like we see with sheriff's offices, which is tremendous power combined with an extreme lack of accountability, that raises real questions about who that position serves, whether it's even a position that makes sense at all and what it means for democracy and sort of the functioning of society that those combination of factors are all concentrated in one position.
Just in Michigan, 82 of the 83 counties are majority white. If we're using the logic you're implying by posting that article, should there be a white Sheriff or a black Sheriff in those counties? Probably could do the same math for all the rest of the states.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:52 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:38 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:22 pm
Guns are a bigger priority, but DHHS is being restructured to better meet the needs. The Republicans have left a mess and it is going to take time to fix.

Do you have any experience with this population? I was the guardian of a homeless person with mental illness, the legislature starved the DHHS and it's a mess.
Guns are only a bigger priority because the Dems don't want to address the actual problems, they just want to control the population. Disarm the citizenry and the only people with guns will be the government and the criminals. They'll leave the law abiding citizens to the mercy of the criminals and continue to increase government authority over the population.

So much for a free country and "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"!!
Thank god that we have our guns because the other 200+ countries don’t have any life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness. They are all miserable and living under the boot of the government. Oh wait… the vast majority of them are not. It’s a bullshit conspiracy theory and nothing more. If you eliminate the guns… nobody will come for you or subjugate you or force you to eat Brussel sprouts or drink prune juice. You’ll be just fine.

They have the ability to vaporize you at the touch of a button. And you want a fucking gun?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 am

Don't talk shit about prune juice...
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:23 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 am
Don't talk shit about prune juice...
:rollin :rollin :rollin

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:11 pm
Mental issues exist in other countries… the guns are what doesn’t.

“We need more areas guns can be carried! Nothing else we can do! Certainly don’t reduce the number of guns… who in their right mind would do such a thing?”
-Citizen of only country with this many guns and therefore mass shootings on a daily basis.
Didn't want to let this one slide without getting some attention.

Do you have ANY data that shows those "mental issues" that exist in other countries are the same as those that exist in the USA?? There are a lot of folks dealing with "mental issues" right in the USA that never result in violence, much less have anything to do with guns. But is there something in OUR society that causes the development of people (mostly younger folks) to resort to violence and makes them particularly bent on initiating a mass-casualty event?

Guns have been in this country for HUNDREDS of years, yet this "mass shooting" thing is a relatively recent phenomena. What's really changed??

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:57 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 am
Rate This wrote:

“We need more areas guns can be carried! Nothing else we can do! Certainly don’t reduce the number of guns… who in their right mind would do such a thing?”
-Citizen of only country with this many guns and therefore mass shootings on a daily basis.

Do you have ANY data that shows those "mental issues" that exist in other countries are the same as those that exist in the USA?? There are a lot of folks dealing with "mental issues" right in the USA that never result in violence, much less have anything to do with guns. But is there something in OUR society that causes the development of people (mostly younger folks) to resort to violence and makes them particularly bent on initiating a mass-casualty event?

Guns have been in this country for HUNDREDS of years, yet this "mass shooting" thing is a relatively recent phenomena. What's really changed??
Fatherless families is a major contributor. In other words, breakup of the family unit.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:04 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 am
Rate This wrote:

Perhaps the normalizing of violence and the coarseness that’s in society today is a contributor. The pressure to perform at a high level and do it yourself which is largely an English/German thing probably has something to do with it. Even in Europe there are cultural differences between that and the Mediterranean countries (Spain/Italy) focused on family and working together. There they take 3 hours during the day for lunch, have a shorter work week and if it doesn’t get done right fucking now that’s ok. I would argue the pressure to be on time, hit goals or we all die etc. especially in the business world all while nobody takes you under their wing and shows you how and you have to figure it out or observe other people on your own while being expected to know what to do by magic or something would lead someone who is unstable or has a hard time staying organized and on task to potentially crack. If you feel like nobody will help you and everyone is against you that ain’t good.

This doesn’t seem to be a home life issue… it’s seems to be a cracking under pressure because of the fundamental way we structure how we work and get anywhere issue. That guy in Louisville was about to lose his job… would love to know why.

As an aside if I’m supposed to be there at 9am everyday and I get there at 901 or 902 regularly exactly what harm have I done to anything? It’s that sort of nitpicky shit that someone will fire you for… come on. I cringe every time I hear somebody say “if you’re on time you’re late”… I have a hard enough time with being there at some arbitrary exact minute… and now you want to call me late when I make it? Oh fuck… but that’s just one example of a prevalent attitude in our society. You want to help these people? Take the pressure off… adopt the Mediterranean model. Take a pill and relax. But instead in the last 50 or so years that pressure has only gotten worse and snap snap snap they go.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 am

A couple of other possibilities… the push to get A’s or bust and you’ll get shamed for anything less so you can go to college and “amount to something” and blah blah blah. Or being told “you’ll never be anything if you don’t go to college” and being forced to go. The psychological pressure there is enormous.

I originally wanted to be in TV News… I tried an internship to get my feet wet… the deadline situation was awful. I understand why they have it but it does nothing good for one’s mental health. Even in entry level jobs I had in high school and college… I always did a thorough job… but I was criticized regularly for being too slow in completing the tasks given to me. I wasn’t bullshitting around either… I was just not fast. Instead of understanding and working with that I got discipline or implied threats of it. Think about how that could mess with someone. That’s one of the reasons I could never work in an office… boss walking by asking if x is done yet and telling me to pick up the pace and… just no. If there’s a sure fire way to get me to yell and scream and jump up and down… there it is.

Driving the bus as long as I start out on time or close to it the rest doesn’t matter. If I get slowed down by a crazy passenger or traffic or weather or whatever nobody says a word to me. Nothing is treated as a deadline. It’s just “as long as we get them there that’s all we agreed to do”. That’s probably why it works for me. I can understand why some of these other folks with issues snap… their environment doesn’t allow them to operate the way they need to and often punishes them for it.

I don’t see much hope that things will change on this front. But I bet you’ll solve a lot of problems between that and the related bullying and bosses that are so power hungry they push their employees around because it’s the only way they know to control what people do. There’s yet another thing that exacerbates mental health.

Basically the people snapping are easier to snap and somehow got pushed there by someone or something.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:34 am

keto wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:45 am
So, do we get to blame Whitmer now since this won't stop mass shootings?
^^^^THIS. If it doesn't move the needle AT ALL, then it was a h u g e waste of time and resources and a major distraction to what REALLY would work!!!

Ask me again... do they really care about the kids or even trying to solve this problem?

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:29 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 am
A couple of other possibilities… the push to get A’s or bust and you’ll get shamed for anything less so you can go to college and “amount to something” and blah blah blah. Or being told “you’ll never be anything if you don’t go to college” and being forced to go. The psychological pressure there is enormous.

I originally wanted to be in TV News… I tried an internship to get my feet wet… the deadline situation was awful. I understand why they have it but it does nothing good for one’s mental health. Even in entry level jobs I had in high school and college… I always did a thorough job… but I was criticized regularly for being too slow in completing the tasks given to me. I wasn’t bullshitting around either… I was just not fast. Instead of understanding and working with that I got discipline or implied threats of it. Think about how that could mess with someone. That’s one of the reasons I could never work in an office… boss walking by asking if x is done yet and telling me to pick up the pace and… just no. If there’s a sure fire way to get me to yell and scream and jump up and down… there it is.

Driving the bus as long as I start out on time or close to it the rest doesn’t matter. If I get slowed down by a crazy passenger or traffic or weather or whatever nobody says a word to me. Nothing is treated as a deadline. It’s just “as long as we get them there that’s all we agreed to do”. That’s probably why it works for me. I can understand why some of these other folks with issues snap… their environment doesn’t allow them to operate the way they need to and often punishes them for it.

I don’t see much hope that things will change on this front. But I bet you’ll solve a lot of problems between that and the related bullying and bosses that are so power hungry they push their employees around because it’s the only way they know to control what people do. There’s yet another thing that exacerbates mental health.

Basically the people snapping are easier to snap and somehow got pushed there by someone or something.
One of the best post's I've read on here in sometime. If I know how to a job I can do it pretty fast but... I need to learn it in and out. If it takes the normal person 10 minutes, it's going to take me 35 minutes. It's like people think that " You should just know how", it doesn't work that way with everyone. I've been at my current job for 18 years, if I were to start that job new today I wouldn't make it, as under the way management does things now, they don't want the job done correctly, they want it fast. I mean, the way my autistic brain is wired, I need to know all the ins and outs of the job and the justification for the rules of it, Not " because that's way" type of thinking.

In many workplaces it's asinine rules and power trips that rule the day,The whole "Faster Faster" mentality is truly killing us. The USA is the only industrialized country that doesn't mandate time off for workers and an average 10-13 days a year is pretty paltry compared to what say France, Australia, and Germany get. Not to mention people not going to The Doctors or seeking mental healthcare services because there PPO either doesn't pay for the service or the Co-pay is so high that its just not doable.

So people already venerable without the services and support they need, coupled being able to buy a gun like a Cell phone, gee what could go wrong? So I do agree that it is mental health but... hate to break it to you, it's the guns too.

Driving a bus doesn't sound like too bad of a gig.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:55 pm

Wow... a LOT to unpack in a few of those posts. I didn't want to include the quotes because it'd make this post four screen long, but I'll hit some of the highlights.

First, I think I'll blame a lot of our current situation on the "Greatest Generation" folks. They honestly did a lot of hard work and sacrificed greatly to turn over the country to a bunch of entitled little brats. Yea, I'll include myself in that too, but in that "spectrum of entitled brats", I'll put myself closer to the end that actually strives to be self-sufficient rather than rely on everyone else to bail me out. Too bad those guys didn't make us ALL worker harder to earn what was handed over to us.

On the "pressure to perform" comment. Don't you think that applies to a lot of other places, most notably CHINA, Japan and South Korea? Those place are VERY competitive. But their cultures also appreciate that they're competing with the rest of the world, not just their neighbors. Add a bit of nationalism in there, and they'll actually take some sacrifices for the "greater good" to push their country ahead of all others.

There's conflicting reports about the guy in Louisville losing his job. The latest is that he WAS NOT going to be terminated. But he did have social issues for years in terms of "fitting in" with folks Might be a while (if ever) before we really find out what was going on there.

If YOU made an agreement to start a job that begins at 9AM, then YOU should be ready to do that. None of this 9:01 or 9:02 BS, because we all know that once the time starts slipping it will always slip more. And it will affect all the other employees. Why should they have to get there are 9 either? Maybe they think 9:03 or 9:04 is better? Keep YOUR WORD when YOU accept the job that starts at 9:00. If you can't keep your word then find something else that starts later or has flexible hours and doesn't need that requirement.

On the "mandated time off", why not shop your skills around to get whatever time off you need? You're only competing with other workers who might not find that as valuable, but if your skill are really superior to theirs then you shouldn't have a problem getting the time off you think you deserve.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:07 pm

"This guy's wound up so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you would have a diamond"
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic