Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

1250/99.3

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
fairbankshockeypuck

1250/99.3

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:24 am

I see that WJMK Bridgeport AM 1250 now is broadcasting translator on 99.3FM...Any idea how far that signal gets out on FM???
Bay City, Midland, Hemlock?????

tvbobn

Re: 1250/99.3

Post by tvbobn » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Looking at the protected contour, it covers most of the City of Saginaw, but doesn't get into Saginaw Township or as far north as Carrollton.

That is the contour area on the FCC map, but I just went out to my car and it is coming in loud and clear here in SW Bay City near the river. I Googled it and it is about 18 miles straight line from tower to my car. Their antenna is at 282 feet on the AM tower. That is a long way for a 250 watt translator!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:35 pm

From this map, it should be audible under normal conditions on a car radio from the north side of Flint to around Linwood along I-75.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 am

The 60dBu contour is the normal contour for coverage, especially inside buildings. On the map that's on the link, it's the light green contour.

I understand that it can and would likely get farther out on car radios, but some of those contours on that map IMO are wishful thinking!

Yesterday, I drove to Clarkston and listened to it along the way. Here at the house in SE Bay City it was clear. Over near the Sugar Beet factory on the way out to I-75 the signal was scratchy, but cleared up near I-75. It was good down past Bridgeport, but started to get scratchy before Clio. Wasn't good by the Rest Area south of M-57 and continued to get worse. Definitely has a better signal north of the tower than south.

I haven't been on the north side of Bay City area to test it yet.

The AM was really bad yesterday! Was not listenable here in Bay City at all. That signal was bad at M-46 and even within a few miles of the tower site. Something is wrong with it. The modulation wasn't anywhere near what it should be for AM. The volume wasn't load enough either. I think they need some improved processing if the expect the AM to cover anything like it should.

On the other hand, they might be thinking, why put money into the AM that no one listens to now that we have FM. All they have to do is keep the AM on the air and the FM does all the work.

metrohound

Post by metrohound » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:02 pm

As a septuagenarian, I really enjoy the music on WJMK. I have never had any problem with the AM signal here in Essexville. My question is - how can the station sustain itself with a lack of commercial sponsors? Presently there are only one or two commercials per hour. How can this station be profitable?

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Update from my post above:

Today is Monday and both stations sound much better. Did an engineer show up for work today and increase the modulation or what?

The AM sounds 100% better and sounds good here in Bay City and all along my trip to Flint area.

The FM sounds louder and had a good signal almost to Flint. Yesterday is was poor at Clio!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic