Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

My 2 Cents on WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: My 2 Cents on WLLZ

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:35 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 pm
I don't feel James Taylor should be on a classic rock station.
I agree with you Sam, By today’s classification of Classic Rock, But in the mid 80’s when Classic Rock Stations started with the new format James Taylor was considered Classic Rock along with Elton, Billy Joel and so on.
Yeah, by today's standards he should be nowhere near a classic rock station.
He is very Pop Rock / Soft Rock.
He is perfect for WOMC and The Breeze

Music is my life.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 am

[/quote]

Yeah, by today's standards he should be nowhere near a classic rock station.
He is very Pop Rock / Soft Rock.
He is perfect for WOMC and The Breeze
[/quote]

He's also perfect for WCSX's Sunday Morning Over Easy, (eggs over easy hash browns and toast.)

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Mon May 20, 2019 10:36 am

Chuck Davies wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:06 pm
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 pm
My idea of classic rock-
Artists to scrap: GnR, Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis, Men at Work, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, The Clash.
Artists to cut back on: AC/DC, Boston, Journey, 80s and up Aerosmith.
Artists to add: pop that got dropped years ago: Brewster and Shipley, Stealers Wheel, Arlo Guthrie, James Taylor, 3 Dog Night. Jethro Tull. King Crimson. Early metal like Slade. Less common southern rock like Molly Hatchey and Blackfoot.
Dont fully get rid of mainstays like Queen and Floyd, but open up the catalog more. I like stuff like "Welcome To The Machine".
Totally Dude, I 100 percent agree with you.
Much of this could be achieved with just having a cut off point: nothing before 1990. Anything from 1990 onward is fair game. This would mean more Tool, more Megadeth, more Foo Fighters, more Anthrax, more Testament, more White Zombie, more Dream Theater and less Styx, Rush, Boston, Kansas, Bon Jovi, GNR, AC/DC, etc. In such a scenario, a station with a 1990 cutoff point would have it total Styx library limited to "Edge Of The Century", "Return To Paradise", "Brave New World", "Cyclorama", and "The Mission" spanning 1990 through 2018.

Nope, apparently they gotta pump another 12-guage slug of "Come Sail Away" into our ear ...

It would also open up air time to bands that got popular without no real promotion from a domestic label or airplay on cookie-cutter radio - something that the vitage WLLZ did back in the day. Groups such as Edguy/Avantasia ... Seventh Key ... heck, the best album I heard in 2017 was "The Prelude Implicit" by Kansas. How much promotion and airply did it get? Same with last year. Best album I heard in 2018 was "The Mission" by Styx ... and very little airplay or promotion.

Stuff by Brewster & Shipley, Stealers Wheel, Tull, Slade, Yes, King Crimson and 80s AOR like Asia, GTR, 707, Night Ranger should dominate "Deep Cut Saturday" and go 106 minutes commercial free with it ...

Just heard WLLZ play the album version of "Money For Nothing" ... :rolleyes
They censored the crap out the second verse ... :rollin

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 am

Frozen Ghost???? HOLY CRAP,THERE'S A BLAST FROM THE PAST !!!! (How 'bout Honeymoon Suite and Goddo -among others-from that era ?)

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Wed May 22, 2019 2:20 pm

senpaisai wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:36 am

Just heard WLLZ play the album version of "Money For Nothing" ... :rolleyes
They censored the crap out the second verse ... :rollin
That little ferret he's a millionaire.

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun May 26, 2019 2:44 am

They silenced the word but you still heard the music in the background! Cracked me up! :D

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 am

Is Fake Wheelz widening their playlist beyond what corporate approves because the last few days I have heard several songs in the mix that they haven't played previously. Also, it wasn't a deep track weekend to my knowledge. Some of the songs in the mix include . . .

War Pigs - Black Sabbath
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
Shakin' - Eddie Money
I Thank You - ZZ Top
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Boulevard - Jackson Browne
Running On Empty - Jackson Browne
In The Evening - Led Zeppelin
Rockin' the Free World - Neil Young
Rockin' Down the Highway - Doobie Brothers
White Room - Cream

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:09 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 am
Is Fake Wheelz widening their playlist beyond what corporate approves because the last few days I have heard several songs in the mix that they haven't played previously. Also, it wasn't a deep track weekend to my knowledge. Some of the songs in the mix include . . .

War Pigs - Black Sabbath
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
Shakin' - Eddie Money
I Thank You - ZZ Top
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Boulevard - Jackson Browne
Running On Empty - Jackson Browne
In The Evening - Led Zeppelin
Rockin' the Free World - Neil Young
Rockin' Down the Highway - Doobie Brothers
White Room - Cream
Good for them.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm

LLZ Reminds me a little of what WIOT was back around 2003, however a bit better. Still, would have been nice to see something else besides the same overplayed stuff. I guess I wasn't going to get: savatage, Iron Maiden, Megedeth, or deeper Judas Priest tracks.

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Still to much Bon Jovi, Def Leopard and Van Halen.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Mediumwave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm
Still to much Bon Jovi, Def Leopard and Van Halen.
*too

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Are all of the shifts voicetracked? It sure sounds like it. Most of the beyond-tired, old tracks get played here. Wow - not anything like the 1980s Wheels, or even the 1990s Wheels. Who in this hell wants to hear “Summer of ‘69,” or “Nothing Else Matters” for the 10,000th time?

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:12 pm
Are all of the shifts voicetracked? It sure sounds like it. Most of the beyond-tired, old tracks get played here. Wow - not anything like the 1980s Wheels, or even the 1990s Wheels. Who in this hell wants to hear “Summer of ‘69,” or “Nothing Else Matters” for the 10,000th time?
Welcome to the swelling ranks of Detroit listeners who are fed up.
WLLZ came out of the gate promising "A new generation of classic rock". Then we found out that they stole WCSX's playlist and simply threw in some 90's songs. Then, they doubled down on the 70's overplayed songs and started playing them even more. Fuck them.

I will say that I believe WRIF is trying. I think they've actually gotten better.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 am

I still feel that 106.7 Detroit's Wheels is easily the BEST Classic Rock station in town..."light years" ahead of CSX!

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:39 am

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm
LLZ Reminds me a little of what WIOT was back around 2003, however a bit better. Still, would have been nice to see something else besides the same overplayed stuff. I guess I wasn't going to get: savatage, Iron Maiden, Megedeth, or deeper Judas Priest tracks.
You will need Ozzys Boneyard for those bands but you wont get Savatage.

Wheelz is a great listen for FM along with 89X if you just want new rock.

CSX is just unlistenable for me, cant believe they do so well, I dont see the atttraction just boring overplayed tunes.I cant stomach it. :barf

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic