Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I would like to commend all broadcast meteorologists in the Detroit market..

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I would like to commend all broadcast meteorologists in the Detroit market..

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:48 pm

...for the outrageously inaccurate 12-hour & 24-hour forecasts you provided for Thursday, March 28 & Friday, March 29. Nice job!

Recall the forecast for Thursday was for grey skies, scattered showers, and highs in the mid to maybe upper 50's. Instead, we saw several straight hours of partly cloudy or even mostly sunny skies with high temps in the upper 60's (most areas).

Today, we were supposed to get more rain. Highs in the mid 40's. Instead, we got mostly sunny skies for most of the day and highs in the mid 50's. Another job well done!

EVERYONE across the board failed miserably in forecasting today's weather (Friday, the 29th) and yesterday's weather, from the NWS, to AccuWeather, to all local TV outlets.

stopnswop2

Re: I would like to commend all broadcast meteorologists in the Detroit market..

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm

It rained all last night here...

And it was not sunny at all here. It's been cloudy ALL day.
Was sprinkling this morning when I was driving around 8.

Your area is not the only part of Metro Detroit

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Re: I would like to commend all broadcast meteorologists in the Detroit market..

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm

I will add my two cents and say that 7 was forecasting 60 yesterday and we outpaced that but they did call for plenty of sun. Today they called for low to mid 50’s and rain early... there was rain just not a lot... Macomb County is “over there and up”... there is far more to the metro than Warren and etc and the weather varies greatly... the high at metro was 52.
Last edited by Deleted User 8570 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Its that GFS model.
Its a total fuck-up.

Your data comes in from whatever model your weather supplier is using.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 am

I will add my two cents and say that 7 was forecasting 60 yesterday and we outpaced that but they did call for plenty of sun.
Kevin Jeanes that morning sure as hell wasn't calling for plenty of sun, and his graphics during the 6a hour showed a forecast high of only 58.

Granted, he was closer than some his counterparts on the high temp.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:50 am

The stations in this market do not spend enough on weather forecasting. 20 years ago they were dropping big money on marketable toys like their own doppler radar but, not enough on forecasting. In a state where most news viewers tune-in for weather you need a full time weather producer to coordinate forecasts, ensemble models and update graphics. Paul Gross as far as I know was the only one in the market.

They also need to anti up on the forecast products they're getting. News Directors like to blow their wad on shinny graphics and branding the consultants tell them they need rather then give their employed meteorologists the forecast products to make a better then 70% forecast.

Does that still happen at channel 7? I don't know. But, its been the most consistant scenario I've seen at TV news departments outside of Oklahome City.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:22 pm

The weekend duty doofus at 7 forecasted mostly sunny and 40 today. LMFAO!!

It likely won't get warmer than 34 or 35, there have been widespread overcast skies all morning, and there are plenty of flurries still across SE Michigan.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm

It fucking snowed!
On March 30!
Ffs.

It hasn't done this in like 5 years.
Ugh

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm
It fucking snowed!
On March 30!
Ffs.

It hasn't done this in like 5 years.
Ugh
Welcome to Michigan have a T shirt...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic