Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Y M Ionhere

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:31 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 pm
Listened earlier today, and heard "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins (great song) segue into a really shitty Journey song.

Sorry, I just don't see what's so special about this station. 75% of the playlist is the same shit WCSX plays, the remaining 25% of the playlist consists of music that WRIF and/or 89X has played for at least 20 years.

This morning, I heard "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger around 7:45a. Great. Just the song I need when I'm trying to fucking WAKE UP in the morning. :x

"New Generation" Classic Rock consists of Bob Seger, Journey, and awful songs like "Cradle of Love" by Billy Idol, seriously? Am I supposed to somehow be impressed by the fact the station plays that pile of garbage and then inserts a decent song by Bush, Soundgarden or Alice in Chains every once in a while?

It's as if iFart found an old 96Rock (Atlanta) playlist from the late 90's, blew the dust off it, and decided to load it into the WLLZ playlist computer.
Irony: It was the original WLLZ that brought me BWBW when it was new.

I'm gonna need someone to explain to me the appeal of Seger. I've never gotten it. Turn the Page desperately needs to go the way of Jimmy Hoffa.

I feel like people won't buy into the "claasic rock" tag without stuff like Journey. But, bands like Journey weren't always on CR playlists. When WCSX started, it was a lot of CSNY, Animals, DC5, Eagles, Van Morrison...no Journey or (blargh) Foreigner yet. I've had enough of those bands for a lifetime.
Seger is a local boy whose music often reflects his midwestern roots (“Hollywood Nights” being 1 exception) and he has a big, loyal following locally. He won’t go away. I’m curious as to whether or not Michigan rock stations play more Grand Funk than stations elsewhere.
I listened loyally to WCSX from about 1991 to around 1994 when curiosity for more modern stuff piqued. Trust me, they played quite a bit of Journey and Foreigner. I still like a few Journey songs but that blasted “Don’t Stop Believing” has to go. Every damn time I turn on the radio, someone’s playing it. My friend and I used to point out every cliche in the song....turns out, every line has one.
Go on YouTube, though, and listen to their stuff before Steve Perry came on board. They were heavier, and just plain awesome. Same with the first REO Speedwagon album, before Kevin Cronin, and the first album with him. The keyboard and guitar work in “Golden Country”, for example. They replaced him with Michael Murphy and they lost their way. Cronin came back but that fury was long gone. Their Top 40 dreams were too strong.
One group I really tried to like-bought their albums and everything- but just find too dull is Bad Company. They have a good formula but the songs are just a bit boring to me.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 am

Segar is a local lad,but I wonder if he wouldn't be bigger U.S.-wide if he were a bit more telegenic,because even in "Boppin' Bobby's" halcyon days,he wasn't exactly studly . (Of course, Rip-Off Robert Ritchie- "Kid Rock" for those not his groupies-resembles a sewer rat I saw near my home last fall,but he's stolen from rock,Country and R&B,so he's got misguided fans from those three genres who believe he's singing to them .)

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:11 am

By the way,in a battle of the Bobs, I'd take Seger in a cakewalk musically,and were the lads to fight,I'd take seventy-three-year-old "Boppin' Bobby" to physically bust up forty-eight-year-old " Rip-Off Robbie" in three minutes. Of course,should Ritchie bleed on Seger, Seger would have to seek immediate medical treatment to keep from catching any of the four STDs Ritchie is rumoured to have caught from his ex-wife Pamela Anderson,the bogus-boobed Canadian lass .

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm

I'll say this. Classic Rock has fallen victim to the 300 song playlist, as has every other genre. If *I* had a classic rock station, I'd be playing five thousand cuts you never hear anymore. I get tired of hearing "research, research!" all the time to justify cutting corners on music playlists. That is probably why radio is doing so badly in many cases, because NOBODY wants to hear Don't Stop Believing four times a day anymore. WMMQ had a very deep playlist when they originally signed on, but it, too, has been severely cut back.

Seger is a local artist. That said, where are all his pre-Silver Bullet songs?? B sides such as No Man's Land, Neon Sky or Ship of Fools??

Kid Rock. I can't stand him. If I hear his ripoff of Warren Zevon one more time, I think I'll go tilt for real.

I figured that, considering the owner (iHate), 106.7 is probably no better than I would expect from that company. I mean, they brought Gnash to the dial... enough said. Bets on when they flip to yet another losing format on 106.7???

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Iheart has nothing to do with Gnash.
That's Cumulus

Music is my life.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah, my bad... same difference from a quality standpoint. I should make sure I drink some coffee before I post after 3 hours of sleep.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Ed,Rip-Off Robert Ritchie has to bop around different genres because each one soon realizes he's mediocre at best .

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 pm

I just never got the appeal of Seger. Sure he's "local", but so were so many other artists that rarely, if ever, get but a sniff on local radio. This is where I hop off the "it tests well" bus. I get research. I get call out and auditorium testing. I get how the business works. But, frankly, Seger was pretty much a failure until he started making standard, generic, radio friendly AOR. His only true handful of hits really came from 1976-1980, with a smattering of known tunes until 1987.

He releases a new album or announces a tour and the local media goes apeshit. New recordings of Seger's latest bowel movement will be played on the next "24 Hours of Seger" on WCSX. And don't forget his 17 night stand at Harold's House of Corndogs and Espresso...with another show added!

I would love to see how Seger does in markets outside of Detroit, and especially outside of the midwest. I love how a song like "Turn the Page" gets vast amounts of airplay. He wrote it before he was even popular nationally. No shit, Bob. Of course you toured all the time in 1972. Your albums up until that point went aluminum.

So many better artists from Detroit AND in the supposed "Heartland Rock" format, and around here, you'd figure it was the second coming of Christ.

Kid Rock can go away, too. And before anyone's panties bunch up, politics has nothing to do with it. I'll take Workin' Hard, Playin' Hard by Nugent seven days a week over "We've Got Tonight". I think that song was written about Seger's time on the charts.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 pm
I just never got the appeal of Seger. Sure he's "local", but so were so many other artists that rarely, if ever, get but a sniff on local radio. This is where I hop off the "it tests well" bus. I get research. I get call out and auditorium testing. I get how the business works. But, frankly, Seger was pretty much a failure until he started making standard, generic, radio friendly AOR. His only true handful of hits really came from 1976-1980, with a smattering of known tunes until 1987.

He releases a new album or announces a tour and the local media goes apeshit. New recordings of Seger's latest bowel movement will be played on the next "24 Hours of Seger" on WCSX. And don't forget his 17 night stand at Harold's House of Corndogs and Espresso...with another show added!

I would love to see how Seger does in markets outside of Detroit, and especially outside of the midwest. I love how a song like "Turn the Page" gets vast amounts of airplay. He wrote it before he was even popular nationally. No shit, Bob. Of course you toured all the time in 1972. Your albums up until that point went aluminum.

So many better artists from Detroit AND in the supposed "Heartland Rock" format, and around here, you'd figure it was the second coming of Christ.

Kid Rock can go away, too. And before anyone's panties bunch up, politics has nothing to do with it. I'll take Workin' Hard, Playin' Hard by Nugent seven days a week over "We've Got Tonight". I think that song was written about Seger's time on the charts.
Seger has the fan base here to make all the spins worthwhile. Ever been to a Seger concert locally? He fills the house and fans all sing and clap along. Afterwards, they sit in their cars outside as traffic clears, listening to MORE Seger. I doubt thats the case with Rare Earth or Grand Funk. Seger also has the largest body of work...a nice span of albums with many semi-familiar cuts.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 am

Take it from this retired DJ, Early Seger = Great, Seger after 1976 = Sucks, Now this is just my opinion and preference. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 am

What is the reason that Fake Wheels is playing The Rolling Stones “Paint It Black” If they want to be “The Next Generation Of Classic Rock” That song is at least 3 Generations old. Who the hell is programming this train wreck. Anything before 1980 should not be played that includes The Stones, Zeppelin and The Who these Groups are not “The Next Generation Of Classic Rock” This station is already a failure.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 am

Well,Seger's "Hollywood Nights" album told fans he was leaving his "Boppin' Bobby " mid-60's-early 70's style ,and his '80 "Against The Wind" album had his ode to,ummmmm,bonding,"The Horizontal Bop" and "Her Strut," which dealt with his Jane Fonda crush .(Wonder what Mrs. Seger thought of "Her Strut .") Obviously,after about '76,Seger left his early bangin' style to play songs he thought his now-older,yuppie-ish fans desired as they hit their 30's.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am

I really have not listened much to the station to give my personal take on it. I was excited to hear they brought itt back so to speak but reading some of the comments here have brought me back to earth, I remember when 98.7 WLLZ first was new, those were the days. Unfortunatley, I discarded my old WLLZ and WRIF stickers about 12 years ago.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am

You can’t copy greatness WLLZ was 98.7 1980-1995 and can’t be copied or cloned that will always be close to the true Detroit Rock’n Roll Radio fan, This new incarnation of Wheels is just simply a joke or a flavor of the week for IHeart that’s all it is, To me it’s a meaningless stab at At a Detroit Rock’n Roll Radio Legend which was WLLZ 98.7 Detroit’s Wheels. And I personally protest IHeart radio for this cheap shot. And it is a cheap shot.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:42 am

I also think iheart should have taken a diff approach on wheelz debut.

They should have did more of a Detroit Rocks thing and mix alot of Detroit and Michigan artists into the playlist.The initial listen by alot of people was exciting by the return but alot of different expectations.

But iheart better be in for the long haul and let a local playlist come about when and if it tanks.Rock is the best choice for this freq but it will need tweaks.

I like them having a street presence that should help but I hope they keep adding to the playlist and dont let it become stale as the D became.

It would also help to if possible bring back Drew/Trudi to morn even if its prerecorded.Grabbing the old D&M lsiteners would be a plus as alot of us like myself left WRIF with D&C in that slot.

First book prediction 2.8............

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic