All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Drew Podcast

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Daypart

Drew Podcast

Post by Daypart » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Big discussion about the buzzboard on yesterday's Drew and Mike Podcast. Reading through threads.

Niccccce.

IIN4MU

Re: Drew Podcast

Post by IIN4MU » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Were they upset to find out no one on here really talks about them anymore? :hat

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:33 am

You know, I highly doubt he is concerned about whether or not he is discussed on a hack message board.

Truthfully, the podcast has more downloads and listeners than the cume of many of the stations in the market. It's regularly one of the top 30 podcasts nationally in its category.

Pocketchange

Post by Pocketchange » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 am

Propecia doesn't "care" that's for sure

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am

There is nothing currently on Detroit terrestrial radio I would rather listen to than this podcast, not even close. Drew is still hitting on all cylinders and the show is awesome imo.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:37 am

I think IIN4MU needs to get himself a crack rock and a fifth of liquor.

The podcast is light years beyond anything that passes for terrestrial radio in that market....hell, even nationally.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 am

It's where this sort of radio entertainment is going; they have a loyal following and I'm glad to see they are making the most of it. I have friends that love(d) the show, and one can tell by the uptick in the usual Buzzboard nastiness within this thread that some are passionate about it.

That said, it's a difficult medium to monetize effectively. There are tremendous challenges targeting advertising geographically, and the time shifting by listeners is equally difficult. Even a national advertiser like Home Depot can really only have generic ads, nothing local nor seasonal. A dedicated podcast listener may still be a month or more behind, and that is ancient history in advertising.

Last, even the most rudimentary podcast players have 'skip forward' buttons. Three quick pushes of a button and you are through a 60 second spot break and back to the show. If its delivered in standard formats and played on such a player most advertising is simply never heard by many.

If the parties producing the podcast don't want or need the advertising, or the entire podcast is either a labor of love or perhaps retribution for the station that put them off the air, it works great.

However, day after day, it gets a little difficult to justify those efforts long term.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 am

Ive gotten away from the podcast and have to go back to listen.Nothing matches it on the Detroit dial imo.

CC made a big mistake not letting them do their show whenever and rebroadcasting it morn on 106.7 the D.Then the crew wouldnt need to be stuck in shift they didnt want.Nice to be still able to hear them.........

Blackburn Radio sucks @ rock formats PERIOD!!!!!

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 am
It's where this sort of radio entertainment is going; they have a loyal following and I'm glad to see they are making the most of it. I have friends that love(d) the show, and one can tell by the uptick in the usual Buzzboard nastiness within this thread that some are passionate about it.

That said, it's a difficult medium to monetize effectively. There are tremendous challenges targeting advertising geographically, and the time shifting by listeners is equally difficult. Even a national advertiser like Home Depot can really only have generic ads, nothing local nor seasonal. A dedicated podcast listener may still be a month or more behind, and that is ancient history in advertising.

Last, even the most rudimentary podcast players have 'skip forward' buttons. Three quick pushes of a button and you are through a 60 second spot break and back to the show. If its delivered in standard formats and played on such a player most advertising is simply never heard by many.

If the parties producing the podcast don't want or need the advertising, or the entire podcast is either a labor of love or perhaps retribution for the station that put them off the air, it works great.

However, day after day, it gets a little difficult to justify those efforts long term.
Somehow Drew even makes the advertising fun to listen to. I still crack up at the "Re-dick-i-less" drops and stuff. I totally get what you are saying but the D & M podcast is best enjoyed fresh because of the frequent coverage of local events. It's way more fun to hear about stuff like the Me too movement and Conyers close to real time.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm

The advertising on the podcast is unique in that it's floating and not completely segmented. The advertisers write copy that includes references to the show even. So, it's been pretty easy to monetize once they got the ball rolling.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm

How many weekly downloads does it receive, out of curiosity?

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Fidem Scit

Post by Fidem Scit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm
Great question. Where does one find podcast download numbers? I bet they get 50k unique downloads per show.

Problem in calculating is the various ways you can access a podcast. You can download or stream straight from their website, there is iTunes, Google Play Music, and countless other apps. I suspect that an aggregate "all in" number would be hard to determine.

Tman

Post by Tman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:03 am

I downlaod it and transfer it to the auto. After a traffic report on WWj thats what I enjoy listening to . The laughs help counter the morons on the road as I travel back and forth to work . Nothing else like it on the dial .

mtdman

Post by mtdman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 am

I grew up through my 20s and 30s on Drew and Mike. I can't say that I was with the show from the beginning with Zip, but I remember when they had to play music as well as do the talking funny stuff. When Drew quit for a couple years, I kinda stopped listening. When they started with the reality tv stuff they kinda lost me, and to be honest the last couple years of their on-air show wasn't all that great. And I didn't listen much the last few years.

But, I did listen a bit when Drew was on the sports channel. I really think Drew evolved in that show without Clark, and his show became a little different starting then. The podcast is amazing, and he's really hitting on all cylinders. Which is amazing, at this point in his career. Part of what I dig about the show is his rotating co-hosts, so the show is a little different every day. Being off radio has really brought the show to another level, and it's fantastic. It's definitely better than anything on traditional radio, and traditional radio is surrendering to podcasts by being so cheap and cutting corners on their morning and drivetime shows. Voice tracking generic djs is making all of radio bland, and the days of local favorite djs is slipping away. Without the local guy you like, it just becomes commercials and music, a generic sound throughout the dial. And even there, the streaming music services are beating radio at that game. It's no secret that the current morning shows in Detroit are just horrible.

I will say this about podcasting and advertising. Anyone can flip on the radio and play it on the air as background noise. Most of the time people aren't really paying attention to what is coming through the speakers. Once the commercials come on, forget it, Dream Weaver time. People CHOOSE to listen to podcasts. It's appointment radio, listening that you HAVE to make an effort to hear. That means people are intently listening and paying attention. An advertiser may be losing audience volume, but they are trading that for effectiveness. As someone who listens to podcasts every day, and has my favorites that I am loyal to, I also become loyal to those advertisers who support the show. Because I know Szott Ford supports the podcast, I'm going there to buy a car. Because I know Hall Financial supports the show, I'm going there for a mortgage. I speak from experience. Last year when my wife and I refinanced our house, we went with Hall Financial because I heard them on Drew's show, and because they support the show. We had a fantastic experience, which I have the podcast to thank for. And I made sure I wrote in to the show to let Drew know about it, and they used that letter as part of an ad for several weeks. (Ooooooo!) I also let Hall know I went with them because they do support the show. SO, even though the advertisers lose volume, they are getting a loyal audience that in turn supports the advertisers. Whereas I couldn't care less who is advertising on a radio station, and will probably only be pissed that that commercial is interrupting the music or show I'm listening to. As a business owner, that to me is invaluable.

My only (small) complaint about the show is the length. 2.5 hours is too much, they need to trim an hour out of the show. 2.5 hrs five days a week is a bit too much. Yet I still listen to the whole thing.

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm
I don't usually pay attention to closely when Drew talks those numbers, but I do know he went over them in the show on the 20th or 21st of December right before their Christmas break. I remember that the website hits were in the millions, and I wanna say the downloads were in the hundreds of thousands. If you listen to that show he goes over a lot of those numbers. I do know they've done a lot of work to factor in all the various download platforms to come up with that number.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:45 am

This shows analytics from their website:

https://www.similarweb.com/website/drew ... odcast.com

~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:01 pm

If you don't love it, leave it, DMP #1. Whooo.

helios987

Post by helios987 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm

I listen everyday and I thank Drew for doing this. At this point in his life, I don't think he really needs to work but obviously he enjoys doing this and investing a lot of his time and money to entertain us. I donate when I can on the website and always use the amazon portal. Living in Canada, I can't really use his sponsors but it sounds like our audience is doing great in supporting the advertisers and Maz is making out great as a ace salesman. Sometimes the shows are too long but I listen at work and it makes day go by better. The variety of different in-studio hosts and interviews make this podcast just as good or better than anything on the radio. I also support the Detroitcast, but they have no where near the production value of Drew. Wolters needs to get rid of that idiot Fadie, they are moving nowhere fast. I love the drops on Drew, sometimes they get overplayed but the Trump drops are hilarious. (same with sterling). I know Marc sometimes reads these boards and if you guys do see this, thank you for giving us this wonderful podcast.

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

I love the Drew and Mike podcast! I haven't listened to 97.1 in almost two years thanks to podcasts and Sirius radio. Detroit radio sucks so thats why I listen to the Drew and Mike podcast every day!

mtdman

Post by mtdman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

helios987 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm
I listen everyday and I thank Drew for doing this. At this point in his life, I don't think he really needs to work but obviously he enjoys doing this and investing a lot of his time and money to entertain us. I donate when I can on the website and always use the amazon portal. Living in Canada, I can't really use his sponsors but it sounds like our audience is doing great in supporting the advertisers and Maz is making out great as a ace salesman. Sometimes the shows are too long but I listen at work and it makes day go by better. The variety of different in-studio hosts and interviews make this podcast just as good or better than anything on the radio. I also support the Detroitcast, but they have no where near the production value of Drew. Wolters needs to get rid of that idiot Fadie, they are moving nowhere fast. I love the drops on Drew, sometimes they get overplayed but the Trump drops are hilarious. (same with sterling). I know Marc sometimes reads these boards and if you guys do see this, thank you for giving us this wonderful podcast.
That 'idiot' Fadie raised almost $60,000 last year for the South Oakland Shelter by soliciting donations from a podcast audience $20 at a time and no publicity. The Detroit Cast is doing just fine.

mkhopper

Post by mkhopper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:00 am

Unless it was solely for name recognition, it's too bad Drew went with the "Drew and MIke" name for the podcast this second time around. Mike Clark has only been on the show barely a handful of times.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic