Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who cares if you can't read after third grade? Not Gretcholm...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Who cares if you can't read after third grade? Not Gretcholm...

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:39 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 091565002/

Parents certainly have a significant role to play in a child's education, but so do teachers. Perhaps we should look at the teachers that are not capable of getting students who do not have disabilities that would qualify for an exemption to achieve the minimum standards. Of course, the MEA is diametrically opposed to accountability for teachers, and it has Whitmer in it's back pocket.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 8570

Re: Who cares if you can't read after third grade? Not Gretcholm...

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:39 pm
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 091565002/

Parents certainly have a significant role to play in a child's education, but so do teachers. Perhaps we should look at the teachers that are not capable of getting students who do not have disabilities that would qualify for an exemption to achieve the minimum standards. Of course, the MEA is diametrically opposed to accountability for teachers, and it has Whitmer in it's back pocket.
If taken to its logical conclusion the law is terrible... you could potentially be mixing 3rd and 5th or 6th grade age students together in the same classroom. Holding them back over one area of deficiency is asinine and that particular age mix would simply be unworkable in large numbers. Whoever thought that up was clearly thinking of adults that simply go in unchanged for decades after 18 and not the changing by the year adolescent population...

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:36 am

If Gretchen doesn’t care about education than take the money for schools and put it for the roads problem solved.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 am

This is a horrible law and needs to be overturned. Penalizing kids for the failure of teachers and parents is borderline criminal.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Holding them back over one area of deficiency is asinine ......
I am not supporting the law BUT the one area of deficiency that is most important is reading. Its the cornerstone for everything else.

I have mixed feelings and see this as a very gray area.

Holding a kid back has a stigma no doubt. But is it worse than moving kids on when they can't keep up? There is a stigma either way. By the time you hit middle school and you realize you aren't one of the smart ones it can go downhill in a hurry.

If a kid is behind in reading after 4 years in school whats going to change that? If there is some "plan" to get a kid caught up going forward why not implement that plan in kindergarten-1-2 so there isn't a 3rd grade problem?
Last edited by craig11152 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am

Radio Sucks wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 am
This is a horrible law and needs to be overturned. Penalizing kids for the failure of teachers and parents is borderline criminal.
What do you call sending a kid forward who can't keep up?
I'm not defending the law but it ain't that black and white.

I no longer directly engage trolls

hanson

Post by hanson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:53 am

The reason kids today have trouble reading is that teachers are too busy preparing kids to take tests instead of basics.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm

hanson wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:53 am
The reason kids today have trouble reading is that teachers are too busy preparing kids to take tests instead of basics.
They can’t read but they all have IPones, Go figure! Mom and Dad even buy the phone for 5 year olds, They can’t read but they have the smarts to operate a cellphone, What is really wrong with that picture?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Shows how smart the kid must be if they can operate technology better than their parents at age 5, when teaching reading doesn’t begin until 6.

Unless that example was hyperbole.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Someone with a very scary avatar wrote:What do you call sending a kid forward who can't keep up?
That's even worse. Where's the intervention that works with his, even through the summer, to make sure they can keep up? That's the only answer...

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I told you about 40% of Michiganders and Michigeese are functionally illiterate (how is that Whitmer's fault ? Oh,right,you're Republicans,so anything a Democratic Governor or President does is wrong ),but instead of owning it and perhaps doing something to fix it (like not falling for the stupid "tax cuts" mantra),you used ad hominem attacks to criticize me. I'm just a Canadian lad,but you people live in the Mitten State .I'd think you'd want to rectify its shortcomings .

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm
I told you about 40% of Michiganders and Michigeese are functionally illiterate (how is that Whitmer's fault ? Oh,right,you're Republicans,so anything a Democratic Governor or President does is wrong ),but instead of owning it and perhaps doing something to fix it (like not falling for the stupid "tax cuts" mantra),you used ad hominem attacks to criticize me. I'm just a Canadian lad,but you people live in the Mitten State .I'd think you'd want to rectify its shortcomings .
The state legislature passed a law, signed by the previous governor to hold kids who were not reading at the proper level back in third grade. The current governor wants that law overturned with no real solution suggested. We're not blaming Whitmer for people being illiterate, but she called the new law destructive, while many believe passing the kids up to the next grade without having the tools to be successful is perhaps more destructive than a grade promotion participation trophy.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 pm
The state legislature passed a law, signed by the previous governor to hold kids who were not reading at the proper level back in third grade. The current governor wants that law overturned with no real solution suggested. We're not blaming Whitmer for people being illiterate, but she called the new law destructive, while many believe passing the kids up to the next grade without having the tools to be successful is perhaps more destructive than a grade promotion participation trophy.
THIS

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Matt wrote:
So how long do you hold them back? Just a year? Maybe 2 or 3? It’s a slippery slope. That’s the dangerous part... I’m actually shocked there isn’t more outrage about what a newly hormonal 10 or 11 year old might try to do with a 9 year old...

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 am

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm
Matt wrote:
So how long do you hold them back? Just a year? Maybe 2 or 3? It’s a slippery slope. That’s the dangerous part... I’m actually shocked there isn’t more outrage about what a newly hormonal 10 or 11 year old might try to do with a 9 year old...
This is a ridiculous argument. "If you can't read, you definitely are going to commit sexual assault". You seriously don't believe that nonsense, do you???

https://mea.org/learn-whats-in-the-new- ... ading-law/
Another worry educators have expressed—that children might be retained in third grade multiple times until they are able to pass the state test—were addressed in the law’s final form. Students would not repeat third grade more than once.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic