Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 am

I do agree that Podell should be programming the station... that is, if they stop using the corporate "Premium Ass" playlist.

'Premium Choice, replacing program directors since 2009'
🙄

Music is my life.

Tman

Post by Tman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am

Career
After launching a trio in New York (with his brother Robert on drums, and Chris Donato on bass), he recorded "Something's Gonna Happen", for Alan Betrock's Shake Records, after which he was signed to Warner Bros. Records. Robert Gordon took Crenshaw's "Someday, Someway" to #76 in 1981, and Crenshaw's own version made #36 the next year; it would be his only solo Billboard Top 40 'Pop' hit.[citation needed] On the Cash Box magazine chart the song fared slightly better, reaching #31. Its biggest reception was at AOR (Album Oriented Rock) radio, reaching #25 on Billboard's Rock Tracks chart.
Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:12 am
Tman wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 am
Marshall Crenshaw really ? How long can one hit song be considered more then what it is ?
He had more than 1 Hit my friend look it up and get your facts straight.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 am

Nice spot.......

Jay is just not the guy for the format.....

...... thankfully.

It *is* about the right mix of air talent and musical content.

Beginning day SEVEN (Friday being one) we will see how it goes. They’ve gotten more preset-time with me recently than I’ve ever given them before.

Again, it’s a building process. This obviously took some time to get all the parts in place, and now that they have a good air staff to work with that people in Detroit like, the playlist will evolve.

This isn’t 98.7 WLLZ, it’s 106.7....

... “wheels up” was just a bit of corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am

What was I thinking. Of course a Black Sabbath album cut that's even older than the "old" classic rock station's average song is the way to go.

Because my programming expertise has long been ignored, here's what this new station should play:

Kingbees "Fast Girls" My mom loved it in 1980!
Coven's first album
Little Richard B-Sides (hey, new generation means even older!)
GWAR
Van Halen "5150" (It was a number 1 album in 1986)
I GUESS we can play a Green Day or Blink 182 #1 hit from 20 years ago
Oh! I almost forgot. Some "URGHHHHHH MY PARENTS DIDN'T LOVE ME ENOUGH" rock.

Spoke with a couple of PDs and MDs about it. Simple Man was at BEST a tertiary song. Sometimes it didn't test in at all. Solution? Play it like a power!

Let's bring back the McLean Deluxe while we're at it.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I've had more discussions about this than I care to remember with PDs that were winning in this market before I was even a blueprint. I don't LIKE that the average playlist is about 2-300 of the most recognizable songs. I don't LIKE that stuff I think would be a great addition would probably flame out. But remember, you can play all the whacked out deep cuts you want. But the guy up the dial WILL play the hits and it's game over.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 am

Yes, The Kingbees excellent group and can’t forget The Kings “Switching To Glide” and The Split Endz all this was from 1980 or there about, Mega you have great tastes.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 am

Even WLAV in G.R. plays the Ramones once in a while.

Mega Hertz - I suggest looking at some non-Detroit playlists. You'd be surprised by the variety and depth stations such as WLAV in Grand Rapids play. Last time I looked, LAV was beating the living shit out of the station running the iFart corporate playlist.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I never said Simple Man should receive frequent airplay. I included the song in a sample hour of music. Plenty of classic rock stations play it or have played it. A simple Google search confirms so.

Fake Wheels 106.7 did seem a bit better than usual when I tuned in this morning. We will see if that lasts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 am

I'm suuuuuure Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue and Little Suzi by Tesla are better songs to play than Simple Man! LMAO

(106.7 played the two above named songs in the pre dawn hours this morning.)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 am
Even WLAV in G.R. plays the Ramones once in a while.

Mega Hertz - I suggest looking at some non-Detroit playlists. You'd be surprised by the variety and depth stations such as WLAV in Grand Rapids play. Last time I looked, LAV was beating the living shit out of the station running the iFart corporate playlist.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I never said Simple Man should receive frequent airplay. I included the song in a sample hour of music. Plenty of classic rock stations play it or have played it. A simple Google search confirms so.

Fake Wheels 106.7 did seem a bit better than usual when I tuned in this morning. We will see if that lasts.
I absolutely listen to stations outside of Detroit. I'm lucky enough to live where, on any given day, I can tune into the likes of WMMQ, WRSR, Q106 (more active/mainstream, I know) and am sometimes wowed by song choices. Hearing "The Song Remains the Same" and "Freeway Jam" were just two of the highlights that spring to mind. Now, for a music nut like me, those are more than welcome. But the average Joe just wants to hear something they know. Or, they want deep cuts/tertiary songs that THEY know and like.

Pink Floyd and Foreigner are two certain tuneouts for me. So I certainly don't want to sit through 23 minutes of Echoes. It comes down to lowest common denominator. As much as I hate to admit it, my kids think the 90s are the "olden days", so yes, songs by Blink 182 and Jimmy Eat World, roughly 20 years old, are now "classic". And they are a new generation.

You're not hurt by the songs you don't play, just by the ones you do play.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am

I heard "Love Song" by Tesla the other day WITH the intro and was impressed.

We can agree that post Shout at the Devil Crüe needs to go away. I'll take a hard pass on HSH. And GGG. And Dr. Feelgood. Yipes.

Unfortunately, I'm home today with two sick children, so my ability to sample is hindered. I hope to check WIOT, MMQ and 103.9 the Fox later.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am

Been there done that a million Times, Hope your children get better.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 pm

EnbyCee wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am
I heard "Love Song" by Tesla the other day WITH the intro and was impressed.

We can agree that post Shout at the Devil Crüe needs to go away. I'll take a hard pass on HSH. And GGG. And Dr. Feelgood. Yipes.

Unfortunately, I'm home today with two sick children, so my ability to sample is hindered. I hope to check WIOT, MMQ and 103.9 the Fox later.
If you agree that post Shout at the Devil Crue needs to go away you probably shouldn't bother with WIOT.
Lol. It's funny because it's true.

Reception of IOT in these parts can be shoddy. But I gave them a chance when I heard "Since You Been Gone" by Rainbow on the nooner.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:13 pm

iFart just launched a station very similar to 106.7 Detroit and 105.7 Columbus on 107.3 Jacksonville earlier today.

Like the former two examples, the Jacksonville station resurrects a former in-market Rock brand ("Planet Radio").

While the 107.3 playlist is similar to the other two stations, so far, it is not a carbon copy.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Here's a old 1986 WLLZ commerical with the real Dick the Bruiser..........

Just a thought .....isnt there anyone out there that can do voices like George Baier did.Bill Mccalister would be a good straight man like JJ was way back when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LXBJ5JRJM
Last edited by windsor on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Not me, I can’t even do my own voice anymore 😝

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Not me, I can’t even do my own voice anymore 😝
:rollin