Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**

Mega Hertz

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm

I have an idea!

Work release! Have prisoners chained and babysat and have THEM fix the roads, and that will save us on the labor costs!

OR

Have everyone in the state take a week off from work and help work on them!

Nah, I didn't think so, either.

I just don't see how a tax on gas is going to help when we've done this drill before. We've spent this money time and time again, only to be given shoddy worksmanship, construction that lasts FOREVER, and roads being torn up/replaced after just a few years. But, they know all they have to do is say "schools" or "roads" and then expect people to buy into it. No good, Kemo Sabe.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm
I have an idea!

Work release! Have prisoners chained and babysat and have THEM fix the roads, and that will save us on the labor costs!

OR

I just don't see how a tax on gas is going to help when we've done this drill before. We've spent this money time and time again, only to be given shoddy worksmanship, construction that lasts FOREVER, and roads being torn up/replaced after just a few years. But, they know all they have to do is say "schools" or "roads" and then expect people to buy into it. No good, Kemo Sabe.
The prisoners idea is great!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm
I have an idea!

OR

The prisoners idea is great!
Logically? Sure. But it would never get past the unions. And I'm sure someone will cry foul with working conditions, proper breaks and work load. But, you get a chance to be out of your box, get sunlight, get exercise, and who knows what the savings to the state would be!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Surprise us with acting sane next please

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm

...full of something, but it’s not surprises.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:32 pm

NS8401 queried:
Is $500 really THAT painful to the top 60% that they’ll have to make drastic changes to their lives as a result? Somehow I doubt it...
For many - probably not. Yet, there are a decent number of people whose households earn $70k+/year who are super deep in debt and are living paycheck to paycheck even though they shouldn't be.

IMO, your question isn't the correct one to ask.

The proper question to ask is this: Is it absolutely necessary to tax many middle class households an extra $500 or $600 per year without first easing their financial burden elsewhere?

The answer to the above question - in my view - is a resounding FUCK NO!!!

Reform auto insurance. Save most Michigan households $1000+ per year. THEN & only then, levy the full $0.45 per gallon tax.

Reading between the lines of our Republican leaders in Lansing, I am fearful they might be willing to allow a vote on a compromise bill whereby the EITC is expanded, business taxes remain as-is, retiree taxes remain as-is, and the full $0.45 fuel tax increase is levied within a 2 year (or less) period. While a bill containing the above concepts would represent a slight improvement from Whitmer's proposal, I would be completely unwilling to support legislation containing such concepts unless auto insurance reform has already been enacted.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:26 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:46 pm
People incur an additional $562 per year in damage to their vehicle due to poor roads as compared to if the roads were better?
I'm not buying it.
I don't remember the last time I paid ANYTHING for road related repairs.
I don't think I put $565 in repairs in 20 years.
We don't all do our own repairs...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:32 pm
NS8401 queried:
Is $500 really THAT painful to the top 60% that they’ll have to make drastic changes to their lives as a result? Somehow I doubt it...
For many - probably not. Yet, there are a decent number of people whose households earn $70k+/year who are super deep in debt and are living paycheck to paycheck even though they shouldn't be.

IMO, your question isn't the correct one to ask.

The proper question to ask is this: Is it absolutely necessary to tax many middle class households an extra $500 or $600 per year without first easing their financial burden elsewhere?

The answer to the above question - in my view - is a resounding FUCK NO!!!

Reform auto insurance. Save most Michigan households $1000+ per year. THEN & only then, levy the full $0.45 per gallon tax.

Reading between the lines of our Republican leaders in Lansing, I am fearful they might be willing to allow a vote on a compromise bill whereby the EITC is expanded, business taxes remain as-is, retiree taxes remain as-is, and the full $0.45 fuel tax increase is levied within a 2 year (or less) period. While a bill containing the above concepts would represent a slight improvement from Whitmer's proposal, I would be completely unwilling to support legislation containing such concepts unless auto insurance reform has already been enacted.
So I should feel bad for and attempt to prop up people’s irresponsible financial decisions? Screw that. Being a spendthrift isn’t anyone’s problem but the clowns that can’t live within their means.

My in-laws make $129,000 a year and borrow from my wife and I for groceries because they have no money or are negative and live paycheck to paycheck. If you are looking for sympathy for stupid people then look elsewhere. You could get them in line easily by cutting their spending but they decline the offer and CHOOSE to be in that position. Not my problem.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:53 pm

I would love to know HOW THE FUCK someone that makes 129,000 a year lives paycheck to paycheck?

Do they buy H*** nonsense things like 10 boats and beach houses?

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:53 pm
I would love to know HOW THE FUCK someone that makes 129,000 a year lives paycheck to paycheck?

Do they buy H*** nonsense things like 10 boats and beach houses?
Spend it all on unnecessary things and trips and extra curricular activities... look at every dollar as needing to be spent etc...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 am
Wow :o
That’s the same way an $80,000 a year teacher was crying poor and claiming he couldn’t make ends meet as it was when they tried to cut pay in Ann Arbor a few years ago...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:26 pm
audiophile wrote:
Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:
People incur an additional $562 per year in damage to their vehicle due to poor roads as compared to if the roads were better?
I'm not buying it.

Helps to cars that are designed and manufactured well.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:54 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 am
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:26 pm
audiophile wrote:
Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:
I'm not buying it.

Helps to cars that are designed and manufactured well.
We all may have a different definition of when a vehicle requires repair too...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic