Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by audiophile » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm
It took them SEVEN and a half DAMN MONTHS to re-do a 5.5 mile stretch just north of East Tawas on US-23. And they're NOT EVEN DONE YET - they had to call it quits in November and will finish up this spring.

That's less than a mile a month on a mid-size highway.
They need to use the grind and repave method. They'll grind off part of the road, mix some new tar and put back down minutes later.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 am

A snippet from an article I found. Sounds like that EIC might be $30/month.

“Whitmer said she planned to use the increase in that tax credit to offset the cost for those families – fully implemented, she projected the average driver would spend $23 per month on the higher gas tax and save $30 per month through the increase in the Earned Income Tax Credit.”

https//www.mlive.com/news/2019/03/gov-whitmer- ... roads.html

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:44 am

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 pm
audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:47 pm
Has anybody brought up the fact that as MPG’s rise the amount of gas tax revenue drops due to less gas being purchased so it naturally has to rise to simply maintain the status quo?

If cars still got 8 MPG then 45 cents would be incredible... but we were recently at $3 a gallon and unlike a few years ago nobody really batted an eye... most vehicles, even pickups these days, get 25+ MPG, something that was unthinkable even 20-25 years ago.

Does anybody know what the most recent gas tax rate changes were? How many times has it been adjusted and when?
What about electric cars that pay no road tax at all?
That's a good point as well. I strongly suspect that the ourage here is strongly overblown...
Anything that doesn't implement an 80% state income tax on bus drivers only is a nonstarter.
TheForce wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 am
A snippet from an article I found. Sounds like that EIC might be $30/month.

“Whitmer said she planned to use the increase in that tax credit to offset the cost for those families – fully implemented, she projected the average driver would spend $23 per month on the higher gas tax and save $30 per month through the increase in the Earned Income Tax Credit.”

https//www.mlive.com/news/2019/03/gov-whitmer- ... roads.html
Are you ok with Gretcholm using the guise of "fixing the damn roads" to fund social engineering and other left wing priorities?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:36 am

Proof our politicians dont know crap about the people they pander to. "We must help the poor". Then: tax tax tax and take more of their money. This affects the poor more than anyone. I have experience firsthand with the poverty of food delivery. Theres a reason its mostly made of of kids or retirees. No one makes enough to live off it unless you live with mom or have a pension on the side. The kid at Dominos or Jimmy Johns living off $2 tips (when he gets tipped at all) also has to use his own money to fill up everyday. Thats only going to become a bigger burden. Cab drivers are some of the lowest paid workers as well. And poor rural Americans living on gravel country roads with no semblance of public transit nearby need their rusty, gas guzzling 20 year old vans and pickups just to do whatever work they can find and get their kids transported. It doesnt affect Gretchys liberal base in the New Center area where hipsters, who hate fossil fuels and paying unneccesarry expenses on products made by multi-billion dollar corporations, just ride their fixed-gear bike or take Uber rides in other peoples cars. Its struggling rural America and the poor who have no other options or use a car for their income who are most impacted. But I wouldnt expect a politician, especially from the party who regulates cars and transportation, to understand us poor folk and the need for cheap gas just to keep our power on. And if this gas tax goes through and you dont tip your Hungry Howies driver, id say you dont get it either. He'll need more gas money now.
Last edited by Y M Ionhere on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 am
Rather than her campaign slogan being “Fix the f’n roads,” it should have been “I’M GONNA TAX YOU ALL STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!”
Aren’t you a Democrat LL101? Or you’re a Republican this week.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:46 am

When was her campaign slogan ever “fix the f’n roads?”

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:33 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:21 am
Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 am
Rather than her campaign slogan being “Fix the f’n roads,” it should have been “I’M GONNA TAX YOU ALL STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!”
Aren’t you a Democrat LL101? Or you’re a Republican this week.
I don’t identify with either major political party and refuse to vote for either of them. They’re both power-hungry, wanting to strip us of all our rights and make us totally dependent on them. Reminds me of cops!
You don’t make any sense, When you voice your opinion on a topic than you identify with one or the other party, So your statement is bull plain and simple.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am

The lowest 30 percent of wage earners will be fine, *if* they can wait until income tax time to receive a hefty refund via the EITC. They'll come out even or money ahead in many (not all) cases.

Those in percentiles 31 to 40 will see partial reimbursement of the gas tax hike. Still, the impact might sting for these households.

The top 60 percent of wage earners will have no offset to absorb any portion of the gas tax increase.

The budget equation for households would be so much easier if insurance reform were tackled first!!! A $500 gas tax hike could be very easily digested if insurance premiums were to decrease by $1000 or more simultaneously. Pete Lucido understands this. Not sure if the other morons in Lansing do.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:46 am
I never heard that either.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am

Steve - read LL101's comments again. He likely agrees with the GOP on some issues. Agrees with the Dems on others. Agrees with neither major party on yet others. Trusts NONE of our politicians. This is what is known as an Independent.

I agree with LL101 that both major parties are loaded with con men.

Based on his opinions on various issues, I'd describe his political philosophy as fiercely Libertarian.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am

I think truck weights need to be part of the equation. Michigan has about double the weight as the surrounding states. I agree auto insurance definitely needs reformed. I think if there is no new gas tax that just using the 6% sales tax from gas would generate a lot of revenue for roads.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am
The lowest 30 percent of wage earners will be fine, *if* they can wait until income tax time to receive a hefty refund via the EITC. They'll come out even or money ahead in many (not all) cases.

Those in percentiles 31 to 40 will see partial reimbursement of the gas tax hike. Still, the impact might sting for these households.

The top 60 percent of wage earners will have no offset to absorb any portion of the gas tax increase.

The budget equation for households would be so much easier if insurance reform were tackled first!!! A $500 gas tax hike could be very easily digested if insurance premiums were to decrease by $1000 or more simultaneously. Pete Lucido understands this. Not sure if the other morons in Lansing do.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:40 am

True, But LL 101 has contradicted on some issues and just trying to get some understanding on where LL 101 is leaning. Are they an R or a D or even an I. If LL is an Independent then say I’m an Independent that’s all. And what do the police have to do with politics.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am

Is $500 really THAT painful to the top 60% that they’ll have to make drastic changes to their lives as a result? Somehow I doubt it...

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:31 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:46 am
WHAT?!

THAT’S ALL SHE SAID DURING THE WHOLE CAMPAIGN!
The campaign slogan was “fix the damn roads.” She never used the F word in her public campaign. I’m surprised someone who is such a stickler for words would say that she used the F word.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Shirkey: 'The citizens of Michigan cannot absorb a 45-cent increase in the gas tax. They just can't do it.' He agrees $2.5B is what's needed to fix the roads. He says there will be debate about 'how fast' to generate revenue & the appetite/ability for people to absorb

Senate Majority Leader Shirkey on Whitmer's retirement/EITC/business tax proposal: 'I'm going to say this as gently as I possibly can. But taking actions like that would be doubling down on stupid.'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic