Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Yes, The tire looks a little flat!

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Ive been reading their facebook comments and people are extatic that theyre back but puzzled by the playlist and the same overplayed songs.

The stations comment is that the playlist will evolve.They know it will take baby steps in this corp.environment.

One thing Iheart has to understand which is .....Detroit is a diff animal for Rock then theyre other cookie cutter format cities.Ive always said that......

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm

windsor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm
One thing Iheart has to understand which is .....Detroit is a diff animal for Rock then theyre other cookie cutter format cities.Ive always said that......
This town played Nugent and Segar into the ground a long time ago. Expect to have at least 2 Bob Songs in rotation at all times (and not old time rock and roll)

In addition, expect to hear the full 8-minute rendition of Strangehold at least 1 time a day.

At that point, it will prove that Doug has some type of control over the situation.
That corporate playlist that they have been running follows none of those rules.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 pm

How about The Romantics and The Rockets, WLLZ 98.7 had a big influence on those two groups as well, I know I was there. Also Marshall Crenshaw from Berkeley, Michigan.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

drew10219 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm
windsor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm
This town played Nugent and Segar into the ground a long time ago. Expect to have at least 2 Bob Songs in rotation at all times (and not old time rock and roll)

In addition, expect to hear the full 8-minute rendition of Strangehold at least 1 time a day.

At that point, it will prove that Doug has some type of control over the situation.
That corporate playlist that they have been running follows none of those rules.
Yes your exactly right......I thought the same thing not hearing any Rockets--Takin it back or Desire , Seger anything off Live Bullet really rocks , or any Uncle Ted, that its not locally prog.

Didnt like the Golden Earring into Blink 182 segway either...........Im willing to be patient its very early I want this to succeed but Iheart give the Doc the reigns here.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Man I can't remember the last time I heard "Can't Sleep" by the rockets on the radio.

I think WOMC used to play it

Music is my life.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Oh Well would be low hanging fruit at this point

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Can anyone tell me since I cant listen to music at work........did Trudi do the mid day shift playing music ????

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Detroit had a strong local music scene in the 80’s and Wheels 98.7 was a big part of it, I don’t have The Albums that 98.7 had released every year on local music, Mine got lost from moving so much in my career, But if anyone still hits the Detroit Area record stores you could still find them in the Multi-Artists section, I think Wheels 98.7 did like 5years of these compilation albums. WRIF did the same thing called Local Riff’s and W4 in the late 70’s did a couple Called W4 Homegrown, Just thought I would share that with all of you that could be into the local stuff.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm

windsor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm
Can anyone tell me since I cant listen to music at work........did Trudi do the mid day shift playing music ????
Yes, She’s great and still kinda Hot, (I hope my Wife doesn’t read this)But I did listen to her for a while online here in Seattle.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm
Detroit had a strong local music scene in the 80’s and Wheels 98.7 was a big part of it, I don’t have The Albums that 98.7 had released every year on local music, Mine got lost from moving so much in my career, But if anyone still hits the Detroit Area record stores you could still find them in the Multi-Artists section, I think Wheels 98.7 did like 5years of these compilation albums. WRIF did the same thing called Local Riff’s and W4 in the late 70’s did a couple Called W4 Homegrown, Just thought I would share that with all of you that could be into the local stuff.
Ive also seen the Wheelz ones on fleabay a few times.I had the Wheelz one with...Seduce,Almighty Strut,BSA etc.

Thats when Lee Arnold was the PD there.........

I also had the WRIF one that was Live at Hart Plaza.

btw Steve....did you know that story of Lee Arnold landing in the grounds of WLLZ in a helicopter with army fatigues on proclaiming War had been declared on the rest of Detroit rock radio??? I would sure like to hear more about that one.............

I think thats why the Doc used to call him General Lee Arnold in jest.

During those days WLLZ broke so many bands that were not getting any airplay anywhere like Zebra,Santers,Helix,Kick Axe and even Triumph plus the local Detroit bands like off of those albums like The Look,Cadiallac Kidz,Scarlet,Halloween,Pendragon.... a big local scene in the early 80's in the D.
Last edited by windsor on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Those were great Albums back then, Like I said a lot of my good radio shit got lost through the years from moving so much, I think the only items I salvaged through all the kaos were all my radio shirts all 700+ and posters (Radio Stations and Rock’n Roll) and all my Albums autographed by Groups and Artists and I have a couple hundred of those.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm
windsor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm
Yes, She’s great and still kinda Hot, (I hope my Wife doesn’t read this)But I did listen to her for a while online here in Seattle.
I ask this bc Ive never heard her do a shift playing music only know her from morn radio..........thx

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm

The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm
Those were great Albums back then, Like I said a lot of my good radio shit got lost through the years from moving so much, I think the only items I salvaged through all the kaos were all my radio shirts all 700+ and posters (Radio Stations and Rock’n Roll) and all my Albums autographed by Groups and Artists and I have a couple hundred of those.
You have some great keepsakes for sure. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic