Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 pm

At least most of them ended up at a better station.

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Wheelz didn't even make it halfway thru the decade of the 90's, yet the decade most well represented during the first 90 minutes of 106.7 Detroit's Wheels (yes, they are spelling it without the "Z") is - the 90's!!!

This station sounds more like K-Rock circa 1997 music wise than it does Wheelz.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Is Steve Black a full time employee of Beasly Media at WRIF? Do weekend jocks typically have contracts with non-compete clauses in them? If not, Black would be an excellent addition to the station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Can we say Z-Rock this is great my friends.
Sounds very little like Z-Rock. Z-Rock played a lot of heavy metal and also played a lot of currents.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm

You know what, and I could be wrong (I usually am), but there's another reason why I'm excited about this, and it was touched on above. While I'm not always a fan of retreads, I feel like there could be more cohesiveness about this. Firing up with a brand fairly well known in this city (and actually uses the city's name in the branding), with very well known names, with a format that isn't necessarily the same ol' shuck and jive (which is debatable), it could be a lot more focused. As I said, I could be wrong, but just listening to WCSX of late, it didn't always feel like it was professional. Long breaks, some of which were rambling incoherently, about useless shit...incomplete thoughts, it just...Idk how to describe it. I just don't take the station as seriously as I did even when I was still there. There was a great stable of jocks, and even the weekenders/PT people felt like a cohesive unit. The likes of JJ, Savelly, Podell, Kostan, Buck, Doran, O'Leary, etc... Now it's like some kind of club that you, the listener, aren't in. Dahmer is just...ugh. It's like audio wallpaper. I really hope they knock this one out of the park. It's a great idea on paper. Let's see if it can come to fruition. I really feel Podell feels very confident in this gig. He's back in the PD chair, doing afternoons, on a format/branding where he really hit his stride in the 80s.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough. It feels like my thoughts are jumbled on it. But, I do know that this is in the hands of the right person. I've waited many, many years to hear those calls and branding again. WLLZ was the station that made me want to get into radio. We've kicked this idea around for years on this board. And here we are. This is the first time I've ever really been able to give iHeart a high five on a pretty good idea.

I joked about applying at The Breeze, but I think I may seriously consider sending Doug a resume and demo again. I believe that now, years later, having grown up, kicked the drugs and alcohol, getting things in order, instead of being some mouthy, stoned, egotistical 25 year old punk, maybe I could have another shot. Maybe, maybe not. But this may be something I have to take a shot at.

Best of luck, guys. I really hope this succeeds.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 pm

So what's the story with the call letters. Are they still WDTW FM? Also who has the WLLZ calls now?

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Its too early for me to judge the playlist, but im willing to give it a chance. Podell is a rock guy. He has real experience and knowledge in rock music amd knows a lot of artists personally. His speaking style may not be my thing but at least I feel like im getting a product from someone who lives it and believes in what he is selling. I dont want to buy a car from a guy who rides a bus. I dont want to buy a house from a realtor who rents. So I remain hopeful that im getting a rock station from people whose heart is in it and live what they sell.

TVC_DX5678

Post by TVC_DX5678 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 pm
So what's the story with the call letters. Are they still WDTW FM? Also who has the WLLZ calls now?
They were held by an LPTV station up here in TC until about a year ago, I think. So indeed they are available.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Wheelz didn't even make it halfway thru the decade of the 90's, yet the decade most well represented during the first 90 minutes of 106.7 Detroit's Wheels (yes, they are spelling it without the "Z") is - the 90's!!!

This station sounds more like K-Rock circa 1997 music wise than it does Wheelz.
Point of order, MW. It was always "Wheels!" The Z was only in the call letters. The station you're thinking of is in Saginaw.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 pm

WLLZ-LP 12 Traverse City changed to WXII-LP 12 a while back, leaving the call letters up for grabs.

They were then parked on an FM in NC by AMFM.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm

After a borrrrrring few years, we've had a lot of change the last few months eh?
An hour of listening and...meh. Music flow is decent, but the imaging is bland, and only heard 1 basic break from The Doc.
Is this another 106.7 two year throwaway flanker?
No clue at this point. But if you're challenging Riff and CSX, you can't half ass it.
I'll say unlike Nash, which was/is a train wreck that never had a chance from day one, and The Breeze, which feels like a cheap, thrown together flanker, this might be semi-legit.
WCSX has decent music flow and imaging, but jocks who have NO connection to the music, audience, and city they're in outside of morning drive. I've never heard Dahmer say one word about a song or even backsell one. His show prep is Fark.com.
They can be beat.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Confusing TOH ID. Said WDTW-FM Detroit. Then W L L Z Detroit, very slowly.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm

the call-letters are still legally WDTW-FM, but... I believe they'll be changed in the very near term. A sister station of theirs in Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina currently has them.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 am

I want to give WLLZ a chance, but I'm in my 30s.

I'm worried that this station will still sound too old for me, and lord knows I'm not listening to 89x. Detroit rock stations seemingly can't last for more than two years, it seems, if they're not pumping out butt rock.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 am

Numb by Linkin Park played when I was in the car earlier 😍

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic