Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

State of the State Address

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

State of the State Address

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Mainly tuning in to hear about the need to "Fix The Damn Roads". The governor spoke a lot on road/infrastructure statistics but there was no discussion about any specifics or details on how this will be accomplished.

Deleted User 14888

Re: State of the State Address

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Typical, Get ready to empty you wallet and mine Brother, It’s time to ask you and me for more money.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Well, a change in tax policy is fine with me to improve our current situation. Doing nothing and remaining on current course is unacceptable to me. If she asks for more money, I blame previous administrations for not properly funding roads all along, and now we’re in such disrepair that we have no other choice as I see it. What viable alternative to investment is there?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

I think the road thing was all talk.
If the money was around or obtainable, wouldn't some one have figured it out years ago?

Maybe I'm just too cynical. Idk.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Well, a change in tax policy is fine with me to improve our current situation. Doing nothing and remaining on current course is unacceptable to me. If she asks for more money, I blame previous administrations for not properly funding roads all along, and now we’re in such disrepair that we have no other choice as I see it. What viable alternative to investment is there?
I think that eventually we will end up paying $150.+ in registration fees every time we get our tabs, The West Coast states are doing that and have been for years, So it might happen in Michigan. Right now Oregon pays $112.+ and Utah $150. and Florida get this $225.+.
Last edited by Deleted User 14888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Oldies 84, I like your signature today.

I have three vehicles, so I will definitely feel an increase. But with my (albeit small) financial education, I know that when you kick the can down the road far enough, not only do you have to make up for it in a big sum in the future, you also have to make up for the disintegration experienced. So yea, it's gonna hit, and it's gonna hurt. I guess the past 30 years have been a total failure since it hurt AND the state let the roads go to shit. I'd rather pay a lot for good roads instead of pay a lot for bad roads as we have as long as I can remember. I do know we can't pay nothing and expect great infrastructure.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks! So you loved “The Big 8” too, Great Station back in the day.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 pm

More than likely, the situation will require more revenue. But in which form remains a mystery. We may just have to bite the bullet on this one since our roads have been neglected for years and we have a lot to make up for. The gas tax could be restructured, vehicle registration fees could be increased, redirect the 6% sales tax on gas to roads (All taxes at the pump should be dedicated to roads)...just a few ideas there. I know raising taxes is NOT cool but in this instance it may be necessary. Are toll roads an option?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Will the governor only be involved in state roads via M-DOT, leaving counties to fund their roads themselves, or will the package trickle down? I’m not exactly sure how road funding works.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Good question! I hope the Governor would give county road commissions more money. Crawford county roads are terrible.
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Will the governor only be involved in state roads via M-DOT, leaving counties to fund their roads themselves, or will the package trickle down? I’m not exactly sure how road funding works.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm all for coughing up more pennies for the things she wants to do.
I just have no confidence whatsoever that the money will actually go where it was earmarked for.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Very disappointed by her remarks on the roads.

So, the roads will be fixed by posting to snapchat and Twitter?!?! WTF type of roads proposal is that?

While I'm glad she brought up the need to reform auto insurance, I heard minimal detail as to specific elements she'd support.

How does she intend to fund the college tuition subsidies concept that she floated?

While I liked the general tone of the speech, I thought it was pathetically lacking in terms of substance.

I did like her remarks regarding LGBTQ civil rights. That's the one policy area where I thought she really shined tonight. On most other matters, I was very underwhelmed by her remarks.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 pm

I did like her remarks regarding LGBTQ civil rights. That's the one policy area where I thought she really shined tonight. On most other matters, I was very underwhelmed by her remarks.
Yes it's great :)

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 pm

I noticed that during her remarks on LGBTQ support, half of the room divided by an aisle had absolutely no reaction. But auto insurance got them applauding. Weird priorities of some.

Was that when she said “wow I finally got those guys on their feet,” when talking about the insurance? I laughed at that because I noticed.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

Unless something changes in the law, toll roads will not happen. Found this pdf from MDOT.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot ... 8788_7.pdf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic