Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Eye Surgery

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ed Joseph

Eye Surgery

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:29 pm

I just had a cataract removed and lens implant done on my right eye. I had the procedure at UofM Kellogg Eye Center in Ann Arbor.

I've wondered why colors seemed so dull and pastel compared to when I was young. What a difference! I can already read small text far better already without readers, and the change in brightness and contrast is simply amazing.

I go back to do my really bad eye in a couple weeks. If they get it to half what my right eye is now, I'll be absolutely amazed. My left eye has a moderately distorted cornea and at present is worse than 20/300. Just having the cataract out of it, so color and brightness return to normal will be an amazing "upgrade" to my vision by itself. I'll still likely need glasses or contacts.

The people at Kellogg are so nice and helpful. They really are nothing like the rest of the medical facilities in the Flint area. There's a reason we commute to Allegan County to see our family doctor. The hospital there is just plain helpful and friendly and our doctor takes all the time we need during our appointments. None of the usual "hand on the doorknob, you get half a sentence out before he darts" doctoring. Allegan General Hospital is like a vacation compared to the Flint area hospitals. I got an MRI done there a couple weeks ago, and I was literally back in our car in less than 1/2 hour. That would have been at least an hour around Flint. Every procedure I've had there has been quick.

During the first hours home, my eye was hurting *so* badly and I wasn't about to double up on my codeine pills to try to alleviate the pain. So, I took 50mg of my wife's cannabis gummy. Within 15 minutes, all irritation, pain and tear duct flow had ceased completely. I then went on to sleep the best night's sleep I've had in months. I have a little bit of pain still, but it's well inside tolerable limits.

I am highly impressed how much better cannabis is at handling high pain levels compared to opiates. I am presently taking OxyContin 20mg twice a day and instant-release Oxycodone for the period when the OxyContin wears off. I'm weaning off those starting next month, which I suspect will not be easy, although I am at a relatively low dosage. It really isn't controlling my pain well anymore and I refuse to increase the dosage beyond what I take now After I'm off it, I may just use cannabis alone for my pain, as it actually works! It also relaxed my muscle spasms far better than any muscle relaxer I've ever been on. At this point, I'd rather use the cannabis and not be in pain than have to keep taking the opioids. I really do not like the opiates, especially since my last wife passed away from accidental overdose of them in 2006.

After my eyes are all recovered, I will be starting physical therapy to recover the strength and range of motion in my shoulder. I'd really would love to reach the point where I can return to work and get off this disability shit (exactly what it is). I really hate it. I miss being productive and I am *really* tired of being broke all the time.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

theee

Re: Eye Surgery

Post by theee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 am

Don't get too excited. After I had my second one done...my vision was so much better I looked 5 years older then I thought did when I looked in the mirror.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic