Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Florida Bill Would Require Teaching of "Alternate Science"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Florida Bill Would Require Teaching of "Alternate Science"

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 am

What about Flat Earth? Is that alternate science?

Bill wants climate change, evolution ‘alternate theories’ taught in public schools

A conservative Republican state senator with a history of introducing controversial bills has pre-filed a 2019 legislative proposal to require public school districts teach “alternative theories on climate change and evolution.”

Sen. Dennis Baxley, R-Naples, filed Senate Bill 330 this month. It would revise the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards requirements for instructional materials for science topics that district school superintendents annually certifies.

Baxley said SB 330 is not an attack on science but an attempt to provide school districts with more academic freedom in how they teach science to K-12 students.

"The purpose of this bill is to allow people to question and challenge certain ideas rather than saying 'This is the way it is,'" Baxley said. "We pursue all kinds of diversity but then we are like, 'Don't dare question anything that is set science,' and the whole pursuit of science, for example, is pursue everything. There was a time in science that the world was flat."

Baxley submitted a similar bill last year and is the author of the 2005 "Stand Your Ground" law. He is well-known in the state as a proud “son of the Confederacy” who frequently speaks before Confederate descendant groups.

For the legislative session that begins March 5, Baxley is a Senate co-sponsor of HB 195, the "Study of the Bible and Religion Act" filed by pro-Trump Democrat Rep. Kimberly Daniels of Jacksonville, which would require each of the state’s 67 public school districts to offer elective courses in religion, Hebrew Scriptures and the Bible.

Baxley has also signed onto the senate version of HB 97, the "Soldiers' and Heroes' Monuments and Memorials Protection Act" sponsored by Rep. Mike Hill, R-Pensacola, which would make it illegal to remove a public monument – including those deemed related to the Confederacy – for any reason other than repairs or relocation to an equally prominent place.

Under SB 330, "Controversial theories and concepts shall be taught in a factual, objective and balanced manner.” The bill’s language seeks to revise the "minimum baseline standards" students are taught in Florida public schools.

Baxley said he got the idea for the bill from a Naples-area grassroots Christian group, the Florida Citizens' Alliance (FCA), founded by retired IBM executive Keith Flaugh to stop Florida from signing onto Common Core educational standards.

In an array of publications and statements, the FCA claims "cultural Marxism," "LGBTQ values" and "Islam" is infiltrating the public school system. It annually publishes a list of books it wants school boards to ban. Among the 60 it wants removed from Florida school shelves is "Angela’s Ashes," "A Clockwork Orange" and books written by Toni Morrison.
The FCA also drafted the initial language for HB 989, a bill adopted last year that allows parents, and any residents, to challenge the use of textbooks and instructional materials they find objectionable at an independent hearing.

The proposal is certain to draw criticism and be vigorously opposed if it makes it out of committee for floor votes in either chamber. The National Center for Science was among the first lodge an objection to the bill in a news release Tuesday.

"Although there is no indication in the bill about which 'theories and concepts' are deemed to be 'controversial,' much less any guidance about adjudicating disputes about which are and which are not, it is suggestive that the bill's sole sponsor, Dennis Baxley, has a history of anti-evolution advocacy," the California-based group said.

https://www.watchdog.org/florida/bill-w ... 44a2d.html

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

stopnswop2

Re: Florida Bill Would Require Teaching of "Alternate Science"

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 am

Omg, this is great.
I have a feeling this will NOT pass though.
The education system is an endoctrination system. They teach us what they want us to know, so we can Parrott those "facts" instead of doing any critical thinking of our own.

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:45 am

Legislators at the state and federal level should not be micromanaging classroom instruction- PERIOD.

That should be the duty of local school boards and school district management primarily.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 am

Education should be privatized. The government has no business legislating the curriculum. Billions of dollars would be saved!

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 am

Sounds to me like this is an attempt to balance the one-sided indoctrination that school boards push and at least allows differening opinions that the students could hear, allowing them to form better, more educated opinions other than whatever the teacher pushes on them. Im not sure I disagree. Universities need to try this too

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am

Private companies teaching our youth only what's profitable? Hmmm....

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 am

As a slight sidebar I am a science fan and a science believer*

*science has been known throughout history to "correct itself" when new data, discoveries, observations dictate. So one needs to realize that what seems like "science" now may or may not hold up 20 years from now.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:02 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am
Private companies teaching our youth only what's profitable? Hmmm....
What could possibly go wrong? :rollin

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Will medical schools be required required teach faith healing?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 am

Mork calling Orson.........

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic