Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Deleted User 8570

Re: The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm

TheForce wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm
I forget who the pitcher was for Detroit, but he got screwed out of a no-hitter and the umpire who called it even admitted it was the wrong call.
Armando Galleraga?

moldyoldie

Re: The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:54 pm

TheForce wrote:
I forget who the pitcher was for Detroit, but he got screwed out of a no-hitter and the umpire who called it even admitted it was the wrong call.
Good one! Not just a no-hitter, but an extremely rare perfect game! The pitcher was Armando Galarraga, who handled it with superb class. The umpire Jim Joyce was also very contrite about the incident and realized the gravity of it toward posterity.

Only 23 pitchers in the history of Major League Baseball have thrown a perfect game.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:54 pm
TheForce wrote:
Good one! Not just a no-hitter, but an extremely rare perfect game! The pitcher was Armando Galarraga, who handled it with superb class. The umpire Jim Joyce was also very contrite about the incident and realized the gravity of it toward posterity.

Only 23 pitchers in the history of Major League Baseball have thrown a perfect game.
Galarraga retired the next batter. Therefore, it was a perfect game. 28 up, 28 down.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
TheForce wrote:

Galarraga retired the next batter. Therefore, it was a perfect game. 28 up, 28 down.
I'm sure Vic is being facetious, but here's the definition of a perfect game:
A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base; in short, "27 up, 27 down".

Besides, Vic, there are only three outs in an inning, so in Galarraga's case it was 28 up, 27 down. :smokin ...unless you're trying to make the point there were "four outs" in that ninth inning.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
TheForce wrote:

I'm sure Vic is being facetious, but here's the definition of a perfect game:
A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base; in short, "27 up, 27 down".

Besides, Vic, there are only three outs in an inning, so in Galarraga's case it was 28 up, 27 down. :smokin ...unless you're trying to make the point there were "four outs" in that ninth inning.
I think all he’s saying is that the guy was ruled safe but was actually out. So technically he retired 28 in a row regardless of what the umpire decided the call was... the reality was something different.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:27 am

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 pm
I think all he’s saying is that the guy was ruled safe but was actually out. So technically he retired 28 in a row regardless of what the umpire decided the call was... the reality was something different.
Yes, I gathered that eventually, hence the four-out ninth inning. I can be slow and too matter-of-fact at times.

- Sydney J. Harris

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:58 am

The Lions getting screwed out of a playoff berth in 2017 because of the Atlanta game's ending

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm

The Detroit Lions - another decade of consistent mediocrity/suckiness. While other teams go thru their ups and downs, rebuilds, the Lions on a flatline of suckiness with no end in sight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic