Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sports Tax

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Sports Tax

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 am

I have less than zero interest in sports. But the lady at the cable TV company here said I have to pay a $2/mo sports tax on my bill. I told her I never watch sports. Don't believe in sports. She said it's mandatory. Have to support the teams.

Like the Tampa Bay Lightning or the Buccaneers aren't making enough money already. The taxpayers have to subsidize them.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Sports Tax

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 am
I have less than zero interest in sports. But the lady at the cable TV company here said I have to pay a $2/mo sports tax on my bill. I told her I never watch sports. Don't believe in sports. She said it's mandatory. Have to support the teams.

Like the Tampa Bay Lightning or the Buccaneers aren't making enough money already. The taxpayers have to subsidize them.
Taxpayers used loosely... it’s a private tax and it’s for the sports networks (local or regional or national) not actually for the teams. The public taxpayers buy things like stadiums for the teams to play in as an incentive to not move elsewhere etc...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Sports Tax

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 am

Exactly. It's a charge for whatever regional sports network is carried in the Tampa Bay area (most likely Fox Sports Sun).

You're lucky it's only $2. Here in Metro Detroit, I believe it's closer to $6 for Comcast subscribers.

Edit - I just checked my bill. It's an OUTRAGEOUS $8.25 for Comcast subscribers. We can all thank the assholes at Fox Sports Detroit and Big Ten Network for that expense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic