Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze on air line-up

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Art Van Damme

Re: 98.7 The Breeze on air line-up

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm

[quote="armchair pd" post_id=556475 time=1546613119 user_id=348]
With no disrespect to any talent of any age, this isn't a personality driven format. It's a background format. As long as whoever you put on sounds pleasant, doesn't get in the way of and seems to know the music, it's fine.
Do I think Kevin O'Niell belongs on this station? Of course. Do I think it's hurts the station if they put Renne Vitale on instead? No.
[/quote]

Thank you for your wise statements, armchair. They are on the money. Just wanted to pass along props.
No jocks, at this point in time, makes more sense to me. Background means more music, even more cold segues.
In office, set the station and twist off the knob 😂.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Art Van, if that's the case, and a particular office doesn't want to hear DJs OR ADS, they may as well subscribe (for less than $20/month) to Sirius/XM's "The Bridge!" Radio is meant to be interaction between the host and the listeners, not just weather and traffic. A station with NO personality is just a jukebox, and it will fail miserably in the PPMs!

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

I think The Breeze 98.7 will only stay with personalities in drive times only for now, and eventually after the next couple of ratings books add some better known names to cover all shifts, great sounding station musically.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm
I think The Breeze 98.7 will only stay with personalities in drive times only for now, and eventually after the next couple of ratings books add some better known names to cover all shifts, great sounding station musically.
Ian implied to me he's only on temporary and will be there up until Sunday, so I'm thinking that may be true.

Maybe there is hope for Chris Edmonds and Kevin O'Neill after all!
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Ugh, Renee recorded part of a conversation I had with her and aired it earlier. I sounded so retarded :lol

Music is my life.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 am

non-anon bob wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Art Van, if that's the case, and a particular office doesn't want to hear DJs OR ADS, they may as well subscribe (for less than $20/month) to Sirius/XM's "The Bridge!" Radio is meant to be interaction between the host and the listeners, not just weather and traffic. A station with NO personality is just a jukebox, and it will fail miserably in the PPMs!
Bob:
Not all offices have access to SiriusXM. Nor do all offices want to pay. Radio still wins convenience.

I strongly disagree with your “radio interaction” statement. Radio is meant to make money. Interaction is one of many means to that end. Hosts cost money. If that way (interaction) is costing more than what the station can bill, then (interaction) is not an effective choice for a stations success (to make money).

A station can have “personality” without said “interaction”. By way of recorded elements, production, song selection, et al. a station can sound very plugged-in to its listeners and be successful.

Listeners perceive overactive jocks as “intrusion”. Promos and commercials are viewed as intrusions, as well.

Some radio programming has evolved as a result of PPM. Other groups/stations have continued steady as she goes. If Breeze chooses to clutter their sound with jocks AT THIS MOMENT, while people are still discovering the station, it would be detrimental to their long-term success.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 am

The interaction between Art Van and Non-Anon brings up something I've pondered before on here.

First off, I have nothing to do with the broadcast industry. This was my first "handle" on Buzzboard. But I quit using it because I didn't want to give the impression I had anything to do with WXYZ. So I started using another handle "In The Bleachers" but lost that account when the server crashed. This old one survived. So I started using it again.

Having said all that, I always pondered this question:
What percentage of listeners have a radio parked on a frequency in an office or at home?
And what percentage of listeners are riding around in a vehicle with pre-set buttons?
I've asked this question before under the other handle, but no one came up with an answer.
This really seems to me to be something every radio station should know, and think about when programming.

I think some of the people that run radio need to evolve. Some still think everyone at home has a nice Marantz with tower speakers parked on one station all day. That's old school now. Way too many options at home now, where someone can hear just the music they want. USB sticks. YouTube thru the phone or TV. Pandora, etc. And a myriad of options I don't even know about.

And sure in years past, radio was all about personalities. We all knew their names. Someone talking to the post on every song. You still hear that with someone on WOMC. Old School. That chatting until the last second until the lyrics actually start. I don't believe that's the radio people want to hear anymore.

As for me, I'm rarely listening on a home receiver. I'm mobile. As soon as a commercial comes on, or the chatter begins, I'm hitting the button. And like I said in the third paragraph, recognizing how many listeners are like me, and how many are not, is to me anyway is kind of an important thing to know if you are running a radio station. Am I wrong?

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 am

Stations know from PPM when listeners are punching out. You can watch it. We've known it for many years before PPM. The goal is always to keep them listening longer and/or coming back often.

Good personalities, interesting topics, features, great music keep them listening longer or coming back.

But you can't please everyone all the time.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:54 am

You make some excellent points Circle.
The whole "Relaxing favorites at work" station is an outdated concept IMHO. Makes me wonder if radio execs have even observed an office setting in the 21st century. I'd wager the small number of office drones who listen to OTA radio listen in earbuds, because we can't agree on anything in 2019 including music. PPM doesn't credit earbud listening. Said office drones also watch and talk about youtube and music videos or who said what on their Instagram livestream more than they're talking about your morning show.
And I mentioned on another thread you have TV fluff like HGTV on in medical or dental offices where 20 years ago The Breeze or 'NIC would own those places.
Radio is still very relevant, but as C7 said, needs to evolve. It puts up a 15 share every Christmas. How does it do that the rest of the year?
Damned if I know. I'm just an Armchair PD.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I will say I really enjoy a station when the DJ likes to be fun and interact with the listeners.
I don't want someone to just announce the next song.
I want something to keep me from snoozing.

What's keeping people from plugging in an ipod to the speakers at work?

A station with no fun personality is basically an ipod, except you dont pick the songs. Who wants that?

Having someone fun on the air keeping people engaged is how you keep people from choosing an ipod

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm

An IPod with 6 decades of music, do you realize that is a hell of a lot of area to cover for music, I would hate to have the job of Music Director at that station, it’s got to be a bitch to balance that playlist out. When I was in the Biz things were definitely easier.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 am

Tim Roberts is STILL hosting/voicetracking The Breeze's morning-drive show...now NINE weeks since the station flipped! C'mon, Entercom, spend some money and hire more air-talent. It's no coincidence that the Top 5 stations in the market ALL have "live" air talent, despite what some folks on here think. You are a RADIO station, not an iPod or MP3 player, for Christ's sake!!!

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:27 am

Here's a "shout-out" to my credit union, Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union @ Orchard Lake Rd. and 13 Mile Rd., for having their radio tuned to 98.7 The Breeze Monday through Saturday. Thanks for listening! :D

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Sandy Kovach has returned to 98.7! Finally a great on air personality!

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

What is her air shift?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic