Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A Stinking Pew Poll Finds Atheists Overrepresented In Congress

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Shuts Up

A Stinking Pew Poll Finds Atheists Overrepresented In Congress

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Many Denominations of various religions who don't believe in much of anything spiritually, but plenty secularly and socially, are overrepresented in Congress.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... ent-jewish

I don't know about you, but this is split into so many small groups, or all lumped together, that I don't think you can draw any conclusions from it. Where are the Atheists? Hidden amongst the religious parishioners?

Seriously, why aren't Jewish and Muslims broken up into nearly 20 Denominations like Christians? And what is the biggest overreprepresented group?

How about Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Hasidic, and Messianic Jewish Congregations, and Sunni and Shia Muslims?

With the Christians, it is simple. Divide and Conquer!
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Talks

Re: A Stinking Pew Poll Finds Atheists Overrepresented In Congress

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Nice chain of psycho-babble. Meth is a hell of a drug.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:27 pm

He can't dispute the premise, so TC Stalks resorts to name calling.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:52 am

What’s the issue here? Why should ones belief or non belief in God or Gods, or this holy book or that holy book or no holy book, or no faith in anything remotely spiritual - be of concern? The most violent and fearful and hypocritical and secretive lawmakers have by far been those with overt ties to some religion.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 am

As a guy who goes to a Protestant church most every Sunday with my Catholic wife I find that spreadsheet mildly curious from a statistical standpoint but nothing more.

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:25 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:27 pm
He can't dispute the premise, so TC Stalks resorts to name calling.
"You're a simple-minded piece of dirt" -That's name calling. Describing your attempt at a sentence is merely commentary.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 pm

If you don't understand my point about divide and conquer, or unite and win by lumping denominations together, you are either:

1) Stupid.

2) You're not trying.

Or

3) You have a conflicting agenda. My facts conflict with your agenda.

For the record, I don't think you're stupid. I'm leaning toward 3).

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Let’s work thru some actual facts in between the name calling and agenda blaming.

This is NOT a Pew Poll. This is a Pew Analysis of a questionnaire distributed and tabbed by CQ Roll Call, comparing it to a 2014 Pew Research Religious Landscape Study (did not do the digging to find out the methodology of that study.). In comparing the two, Pew did state that “Christians as a whole ... are overrepresented in proportion to their share in the general public.” They went on to state that “Indeed, the religious makeup of the new, 116th Congress is very different from that of the United States population.”

The Pew Analysis is the exact opposite of your headline. Pew thinks atheists are severely underrepresented in Congress.

Pew also divided up the Christian groups in the manner they did to compare it to their 2014 study, which probably did not break out the Muslim and Jewish denominations.

The Washington Examiner is primarily a right-leaning media outlet, so looking at their “spin” you can see how someone might feel that this is a “divide and conquer” attempt by Pew, which lists itself as “non-profit”, “non-partisan” and an organization that does “not take policy positions”. Pew does fund a great deal of NPR and PBS programs as is most certainly viewed by many as “left leaning”.

But in reading the actual analysis/study, I didn’t see any attempt to conquer anybody. Just number crunching on some easily available data that may or may not mean anything (I’m not sure it does mean anything.)

So for my edification, explain how you feel this somehow “divides and conquers”. Thanks.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Just a reminder, the article is headlined, "Pew reports...".

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... ent-jewish

What part of "Pew reports..." don't you understand? What part of "from the Pew Research Center" don't you understand?

The glaring elephant in the room is that there are 3.2 TIMES as many more Jewish congressmen by percentage than there are in the general population. That's way more by percentage over the general population than, say, Roman Catholics, or Christians in total. That is, if you read their own survey. Where is THAT brought to your attention? Before you say anything more, You're the ones who are dividing people with your slanted surveys!

More anti Christian propaganda.

More anti Republican Propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKLBne1CoI

"Elephants are...dumb". Subtle, but still propaganda.

You're the ones who are dividing people. And have been since Hoover at the least.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 am

Someone who is REALLY worked up about this, so much he/she is using a BIG RED FONT wrote:The glaring elephant in the room is that there are 3.2 TIMES as many more Jewish congressmen by percentage than there are in the general population. That's way more by percentage over the general population than, say, Roman Catholics, or Christians in total. That is, if you read their own survey. Where is THAT brought to your attention?
In the actual Pew Analysis -

http://www.pewforum.org/2019/01/03/fait ... -hill-116/
In "Faith on the Hill,The religious composition of the 116th Congress" the Pew Research Center wrote:Among non-Christians, four additional Jewish members bring the Jewish share of the new Congress to 6% – three times the share of Jews in the general public (2%).
I'm kinda confused about this one..
The person who remains very worked up wrote:What part of "Pew reports..." don't you understand? What part of "from the Pew Research Center" don't you understand?
Um, all of it. I have made reference to the actual report here and the previous post. However, "Pew reports" is the Washington Examiner headline.

I don't like using third party reporting as my source for information. As you can see in the story below, "Christianity Today" thought this Pew Analysis was good news for Christians and evangelicals.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... elica.html

Would you read the article linked above as "anti-Christian" or "anti-Republican"? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your answer on air.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 am

From "A Girl Named Sue Pew".

My name is Sue Pew,
How do you do,
Now you're gonna die!

What kind of parents thought it was a good idea to name their daughter Sue Pew?

If you saw a girl named Sue Pew on a dating site, would you contact her?

Right Church, Wrong Pew?
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 am

Wow... just wow.

You have a nice day.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 am

“You will know them by the works that they do.”

Religion affiliation means little. Stamp on ones head when born. Assigned.

Or - a replacement stamp on ones head when one decides for himself/herself. Including the religion assigned by your parents, or another religion, or identifying as agnostic, or atheist.

And it can all change, again. And again. It’s up to each person.

What matters more are the works of each person. Do they look like love in action? Or fear in action? Self-sacrifice? Or self-centeredness? Inclusive sharing? Or exclusive greed? Me last - like all unsung heroes and heroines? Or me first - like all fear-stricken cowards?

Pious talkers and prideful posers abound. Many are “religious” or “spititual”.

What’s needed instead are compassionate doers.
You will know them by their works. Not religious words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic