Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Yule Log vs. News

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
lovinlife101

Re: Yule Log vs. News

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 pm

I’d watch a Yule log in the toilet before a newscast.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 am

autolab wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 am
Sorry Mr. Wellington that you were so offended by my post that you felt you needed to resort to a personal attack.

I work for TV5. And I've sacrificed time with my family (hence, yes I've been dateless and happily married for many years) on far too many holidays to bring the news to mid-Michigan viewers.

This is the first year that TV5's "new management" decided to run a Yule Log in place of newscasts. It's not how a real number one station that values its news operation operates.

Granted, there's not always a wealth of news. But I can remember a few years back when we were first on with details of the Christmas Day underwear bomber who was arrested at Detroit Metro Airport. You can't always predict when news happens, which is why it's important to have a regular schedule of newscasts... even on holidays. So now, should I expect the Memorial Day, Independence Day or Valentines Day Yule Log???

As far as whether or not there's an audience, you must not have kids who drag you out of bed to unwrap presents and want breakfast before daylight for one day only.

Call me old fashioned or take any personal attacks you'd like, but if you value having a strong news presence, you don't take it off and put a Yule Log in its place.
I don’t support any personal attacks, but I do think there is a lot at play here.

I won’t call you old fashioned, but I question your reasoning.

Your premise is that having a traditional, appointment-television newscast is required for “a strong news presence.” I disagree with that 100%.

As shown on the newscasts that followed Christmas, little news value was produced. A story about a woman having a Christmas village display and a western Michigan pettting farm that wants old trees to feed goats? Yes, this is what you get when you have a “news hole” to fill. Today, updating a social media news feed would be much more effective in reaching more people and only updating when something of relevance and value was worth passing along.

The fact is, you have a personal agenda. You require a traditional, appointment-television newscast to get paid. I get that.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 am
I agree with autolab. Holidays are usually slow news days. Missing a newscast is not the end of the world. Many stations across the country ran the Yule Log at different times.
TV 5 has great employees. Many deserve larger markets than sitting in Saginaw to make Julie and Karin rich. TV 5 does not preempt local news as much as ABC 12 and their made in Michigan specials with Marc Jacobson.
Your post is a logical trainwreck. You agree with autoliar, but then say missing a newscast is not the end of the world. That’s what autoliar was arguing FOR!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Big Signal wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 pm
We need a break from the NEWS, we see it 364 days a year. The Yule log is played here in Tampa also, I think it's a great idea. I agree with DAC, give the NEWS room some time off, as us Christians celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas.
Yes! YES!!! 100 times YYYEEEESSSS!!!

But without a traditional newscast and a day off, what will autoliar complain about then?

YOU chose the profession with its schedule. YOU chose to support the union that negotiates the pay you gripe about. But what do you complain about? MANAGEMENT!

For the hours, schedule, and pay you get, you have no one but yourself to blame.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:25 am

We will start with your complaints about working holidays that you now say you didn’t say.
autolab wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:32 am
At least some of us will get to stay home Christmas morning. SMH
“I work for TV5. And I've sacrificed time with my family (hence, yes I've been dateless and happily married for many years) on far too many holidays to bring the news to mid-Michigan viewers.”

“The ones who are getting rich, aka the GM and ND at the Rusty Nickle, can't bother to show up on holidays that they ask us to work.”

Then, more bullying and name-calling that will land you in jail this March.

“In the words of Saturday Night Live: "Jane, you ignorant slut..."

HL101: once again you show how clueless you are. Whoever said I was part of the union? And if you actually read the post, you'd realize I'm OK with working holidays. And as a person who works at TV5, I have just as much right to criticize station management as you do. So crawl back to your hole and troll someone else who actually cares about your opinions.”

If it weren’t for double standards. You wouldn’t have any standards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic