Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:47 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm
Your telling me that all those playlists that Stopnswop put together are useless now, Jesus Now What?
Back to the drawing board time for some new playlist, come on people throw some R&B in this time, I don’t want this to happen again 😆 😝 😂.
They added in a lot of the RnB songs I put on that thread.
I put a lot of them in, not just soft rock and pop.

I expected a variety of it all though when I suggested them. I was not expecting the station to go in a different direction

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:22 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:47 am
Wow - I didn’t see that coming. Are they trying to be like 94.7 The Wave now?
That is the next possibility and it could work in the Detroit Market and they don’t have to change the name “The Breeze” is perfect for a Soft or Lite R&B, Detroit is not just a Rock’n Roll market, so Soft R&B makes sense.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

I suggested back in November that a rhythm-infused soft AC would be preferable to a waspy soft AC. I hope the category/rotation adjustment observed this morning lasts! :)

Let's not forget that a waspy soft AC was attempted in Windsor about four or five years ago and failed miserably. Both Windsor and Detroit are filled with middle class, blue collar audiences. Detroit also has a substantial African American audience.

Entercom should take the same demographical strategy that V98.7 employed so successfully for many years.

I didn't think the Harry Nilsson or Barry Manilow was going to be long term
Hopefully this replaces all of the soul that was sucked out of 104.3 a year or so back

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:58 pm

This smells like L.A.’s The Wave 94.7, and many of us on this board mentioned that during the Christmas Stunning before the premiere of The Breeze format.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:22 pm

On the one hand, I liked what they were already doing. I may have been in the minority for enjoying it as a thirtysomething male - I was the kind of kid who preferred Amy Grant and Celine Dion to Nirvana and Pearl Jam; I listened to Q95 when my classmates preferred 96.3 or 89X. I didn't expect 98.7 would still be playing The Carpenters six months in. But - purely based on my personal tastes - it was nice having a station that sounded like a throwback to the WLTI of 25 years ago. And for those two months, it was nice to have a refuge for non-holiday adult music that wasn't of the classic rock variety, with WNIC playing Gayla Peevey and Elmo & Patsy every two hours.

On the other hand, it's also nice to be able to listen to a station that plays smooth R&B and not have to sit through '90s gangsta rap. It's basically Soft Rhythmic AC now, a lot like 94-7 The Wave without the Latino soul. I like it, but I also feel like it's about nine years too late, like they should have evolved V98.7 to this instead of flipping to CHR. Perhaps with the Urban AC stations moving away from classic soul and playing more hip-hop this could be viable. I'll keep it a preset for now.

I'll say this much... better this than another retirement home for year-old Imagine Dragons, Charlie Puth and Camila Cabello CHR recurrents (aka mainstream AC).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:34 pm

Soft Rhythmic AC now, a lot like 94-7 The Wave without the Latino soul. I like it, but I also feel like it's about nine years too late, like they should have evolved V98.7 to this instead of flipping to CHR. Perhaps with the Urban AC stations moving away from classic soul and playing more hip-hop this could be viable. I'll keep it a preset for now.
Well said.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Another - more subtle - tweak has also occurred.

I'll give a hint - this one is visual in nature.

https://987thebreeze.radio.com/

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:40 pm

When 98.7 dropped Smooth Jazz and decided to do a different format, they picked the WDZH calls before the format decision, they weren’t sure if they wanted to go back to a Rock type format or try Top 40, so they picked calls that would be fitting for both formats, If it was a Rock format it would have been Detroit’s Z-Rock 98.7, since it became apparent the format was Top 40 they were going to call it Detroit’s Z-Hits, now at the time CBS had Amp radio in L.A. on 97.1 and CBS decided to put the Amp Radio brand on several of their stations Detroit and later N.Y.C. and then in a few other markets hence this is how the WDZH calls came to be. Now you can take that for what it’s worth, but that’s the story I received from at the time a CBS Radio Executive that I know and worked for 25 years ago.
Last edited by Deleted User 14803 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:40 pm
When 98.7 dropped Smooth Jazz and decided to do a different format, they picked the WDZH calls before the format decision, they weren’t sure if they wanted to go back to a Rock type format or try Top 40, so they picked calls that would be fitting for both formats, If it was a Rock format it would have been Detroit’s Z-Rock 98.7, since it became apparent the format was Top 40 they were going to call it Detroit’s Z-Hits now at the time CBS had Amp radio in L.A. on 97.1 and CBS decided to put the Amp Radio brand on several of their stations Detroit and later N.Y.C. and then in a few other markets hence this is how the WDZH calls came to be.
Sorry Kev but I dont think 98.7 was bringing back any Z Rock station................

heres the flip recorded to take V98.7 to Amp radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_fl4Ldk0Es

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:47 pm

That's a load of bullcrap, Kev.

The call sign change came shortly after the flip to CHR/Pop had already occurred. I remember it well.

One rumor is that the call sign was a tribute to Detroit's CHR stations of the past - i.e. WDFX, Z95.5, and WHYT.

Everyone & their mother knew 98.7 as a Smooth Jazz station was toast the instant CBS hired Dom Theodore away from Clear Channel. Considering Dom is a CHR guy thru & thru it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a CHR launch by CBS in Detroit was inevitable, especially considering his old station (95.5) was wildly popular at the time. We were talking about 98.7 flipping to CHR here on the Buzzboard for at least six months before the flip actually happened.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm

The letters were not approved at the time of the format switch, and again take it for what it’s worth.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, I'll take it for it's worth alright. Nada. Zilch. Zippo.

There were certainly rumors of a Wheelz resurrection (most likely perpetrated as a smokescreen) in a classic rock or heritage rock vein. There was zero chatter of a new station using the Z-Rock name. CBS was killing off its hard rock and modern rock stations left & right at the time.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Just a side note.......the Wheelz rumour was quite solid as they were talking to ex WWBN Flint morn. guys Eric&Carson as the possible morn show if they went to rock.Then CBS went in a diff direction maybe it was just a ruse who knows.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Another - more subtle - tweak has also occurred.

I'll give a hint - this one is visual in nature.

https://987thebreeze.radio.com/
The “Breeze” wave in the logo very similar to the water wave on “The Wave 94.7” logo.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Good observation, but that little touch was already part of the logo.

The "change" I referenced in my earlier post involves a different aspect of the logo.

Keep the guesses coming! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic