Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit needs another option for vintage Rock music

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Detroit needs another option for vintage Rock music

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am

Another?!?!

We have ONE. Sheeeesh. You act as if there are three or four.

Classic Rock would have been a safer bet than a format whose full fledged version was last tried here 25 years ago.

I actually hope The Breeze is very successful...I credit Entercom for trying something different. I'm just not sure it will be.

Personally, I would've loved a fun variety hits station like 96.5 Jack FM in Kalamazoo. (Doug FM was lame...playlist was too conservative.)

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 am

In addition to WCSX, I consider WRIF to also be classic rock. And if we add a third, well, then it's 3. I vote for "fixing" what we already have, even though I'm not sure WCSX needs much fixing if it's at the top of the ratings (although get rid of Dahmer, he makes WCSX unlistenable for me). What do we even consider 93.9 to be?

For more options, would a better option be to add a "vintage rock music" show on one of the current stations, college stations, or Canadian stations?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:55 am

Probably 70 percent of the music WRIF plays is from the 00's or 2010's.

Just because they play some guitar rock standards does not mean they are a classic rock station, IMO.

93.9 The River is Modern AC, to answer one of your questions.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 am
In addition to WCSX, I consider WRIF to also be classic rock. And if we add a third, well, then it's 3. I vote for "fixing" what we already have, even though I'm not sure WCSX needs much fixing if it's at the top of the ratings (although get rid of Dahmer, he makes WCSX unlistenable for me). What do we even consider 93.9 to be?

For more options, would a better option be to add a "vintage rock music" show on one of the current stations, college stations, or Canadian stations?
The “Riff” is not Classic Rock it’s Active Rock, Giant difference between the two granted some tunes overlap between the two stations, on another note The Breeze 98.7 is a female dominated demographic format and WRIF is a male dominated demographic format what we need is someone to go head to head with WRIF and please don’t say 89 X because it’s not an Active Rock station, 89 X doesn’t even know what they are. Oh by the way the ratings should be out today or tomorrow and we will see how 98.7 rates for the first month.
Last edited by Deleted User 14803 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 am
We get the unique 98.7 The Breeze and some people are so cynical over it because it's "just another AC station", yet they want ANOTHER classic rock station. How about instead of adding yet another classic rock station, the current one(s) are improved?
No, it’s another female demographic station, how many stations in one market do we need for the working female that’s 25 -54 years old, what we need is more male demographic stations More Classic Rock, Active Rock, Oldies, Classic Hits, A good Sports station, A good Guy Talk station a good Z-Rock type station, stuff that’s geared to us dudes, that’s what we need. Enough of this girly music on the radio. And by the way there’s nothing unique about 98.7 it’s just Lite FM under a different name.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:27 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
We get the unique 98.7 The Breeze and some people are so cynical over it because it's "just another AC station", yet they want ANOTHER classic rock station. How about instead of adding yet another classic rock station, the current one(s) are improved?
Logic isn't dead after all.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
No, it’s another female demographic station, how many stations in one market do we need for the working female that’s 25 -54 years old, what we need is more male demographic stations More Classic Rock, Active Rock, Oldies, Classic Hits, A good Sports station, A good Guy Talk station a good Z-Rock type station, stuff that’s geared to us dudes, that’s what we need. Enough of this girly music on the radio. And by the way there’s nothing unique about 98.7 it’s just Lite FM under a different name.
The Breeze is unique to Detroit. It's not duplicated. Do we have another "Lite FM" to compare it to? No.

The Generation X or Baby Boomer formats are uninteresting to many of us millennials. And I'm not solely talking about "age of music" when I refer to these formats. I'm talking about the formatics, the commercial clusters, the heavily-researched and repeated songs and bands. That's so old generation, and won't survive to the next generation. Make fun of us millennials all you want, but if radio doesn't adapt to the younger generations, once the older generations die out, there will be no formats to make music radio survive.

I'm a 34 year old professional, married male who likes the so-called "female oriented" station known as The Breeze. I'm burned out by what radio executives decided I should like based on my demographic. Judging the tastes of Detroiters based on their sex or age may sound right for advertisers, but as a listener, I'm not going to choose my radio stations because of whether the advertisers cater to male or female. That may take away my voice, but the radio industry will eventually learn that there is enough of us that don't conveniently fall in to shitty and poorly executed formats. And if you feel your masculinity is dependent on how many rock stations or "guy talk" stations there are, count me out of it. My masculinity is secure enough to be able to listen to anything I like without having to worry about if someone else thinks what I'm listening to is masculine. If you really think The Breeze is just "girly" music, I highly question your ability to judge music and I question your true knowledge of today's audiences. Maybe the Breeze won't be the #1 station in Detroit, but my God is it a breath of fresh air for someone like me in this cesspool of a radio market.

Back on topic, I think refining the current stations to excellence instead of adding more and more shitty stations is a better route to go. Quality over quantity. More rock stations or more sports stations doesn't make anyone's radio listening experience better. It just crowds the already crowded dial and reduces the ability for something new and innovative to be introduced.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm

No, but we’ve had many of them in years past, I worked at two of them in the 80’s truly not unique to Detroit then or now, at one time Detroit had four at the same time WMJC,WCZY,WNIC and WOMC again not unique to The”D” and WLTI might of been in at some point as well.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:40 pm

I agree, Zenith, that I'd rather have one great station in each format than two shitty ones. :)

That said, I think we're absolutely stuck with WCSX's current air talent. I also am not fond of their processing. I think they made some adjustments within the last month or two. The station sounds louder than ever and also sounds unnaturally bright.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

What we could use is for WCSX to get good talent and get rid of the pussy Classic Rock and get harder edge Classic Rock not so much Z-Rock Classic Rock but more metal, Drop the Elton John crap and put in more Scorpions, Guns N’Roses and even more Pearl Jam, “Classic Rock That Really Rocks” like when Ted had 102.7 in the 90’s that’s what’s needed in The “D”.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:38 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm
What we could use is for WCSX to get good talent and get rid of the pussy Classic Rock and get harder edge Classic Rock not so much Z-Rock Classic Rock but more metal, Drop the Elton John crap and put in more Scorpions, Guns N’Roses and even more Pearl Jam, “Classic Rock That Really Rocks” like when Ted had 102.7 in the 90’s that’s what’s needed in The “D”.
Theres already plenty of harder-edged rock. Theres too much GNR, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, van Halen, Aerosmith. WCSX was always THE station for the "pussy classic rock" and should remain so for fans of it.
I was actually just wondering if they even played Elton John anymore. We've discussed that Jethro Tull has fallen off the playlist. Sad, as they were more distinctive than half the crap they play now. who else incorporated a flute and baroque influences into harder rock? They still play Queen, but considering they recently made a successful biopic on the band, thats not surprising. That sort of makes them an exception, not the norm. No more Tull on Detroit airwaves. No Zappa. No more Canned Heat. No Jeff Beck. I dont care if I NEVER hear the same few overplayed, stale Bon Jovi tunes, synthesized Hagar-era Van Halen and 80s Rush, or whiny 3-chord AC/DC. Pearl Jam? On classic rock? Last I knew alt rock stations still played them.
I want them to return to bands who have fallen by the wayside and are no longer played. Not the same played-out album rock/ alt rock still being played across the dial.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:58 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 pm
RadioKev wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
The Breeze is unique to Detroit. It's not duplicated. Do we have another "Lite FM" to compare it to? No.

The Generation X or Baby Boomer formats are uninteresting to many of us millennials. And I'm not solely talking about "age of music" when I refer to these formats. I'm talking about the formatics, the commercial clusters, the heavily-researched and repeated songs and bands. That's so old generation, and won't survive to the next generation. Make fun of us millennials all you want, but if radio doesn't adapt to the younger generations, once the older generations die out, there will be no formats to make music radio survive.

I'm a 34 year old professional, married male who likes the so-called "female oriented" station known as The Breeze. I'm burned out by what radio executives decided I should like based on my demographic. Judging the tastes of Detroiters based on their sex or age may sound right for advertisers, but as a listener, I'm not going to choose my radio stations because of whether the advertisers cater to male or female. That may take away my voice, but the radio industry will eventually learn that there is enough of us that don't conveniently fall in to shitty and poorly executed formats. And if you feel your masculinity is dependent on how many rock stations or "guy talk" stations there are, count me out of it. My masculinity is secure enough to be able to listen to anything I like without having to worry about if someone else thinks what I'm listening to is masculine. If you really think The Breeze is just "girly" music, I highly question your ability to judge music and I question your true knowledge of today's audiences. Maybe the Breeze won't be the #1 station in Detroit, but my God is it a breath of fresh air for someone like me in this cesspool of a radio market.

Back on topic, I think refining the current stations to excellence instead of adding more and more shitty stations is a better route to go. Quality over quantity. More rock stations or more sports stations doesn't make anyone's radio listening experience better. It just crowds the already crowded dial and reduces the ability for something new and innovative to be introduced.
Very very well said Zenith. You are 100 percent spot on and I don't understand how the radio execs /advertisers lack this simple common sense! !

Music is my life.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm
This is spot on...........

And the reason CSX is running away with the classic rock format is that the 2 holes in the classic rock format are not being filled........

One being the Classic Rock that Really Rocks format/70's/80's Guitar rock/arena rock......van halen,Zep,Bad co.,Foghat,Heart,Hendrix,Satriani,Whitesnake,GnR,Met,Nugent,Alice/Chains,STP.... etc etc
106.7 the D had it....but dropped the ball.

the 2nd being a Classic Vinyl/Classic rock format.....1964 Beatles-1977.......Beatles,Stones,Yes,America,Yardbirds,Zep,Doors,Bob Welch,fleetwoodmac,Who,Atlanta Rhythm Section,Cream,Humble Pie,Seger......etc etc.
I bet we hear this one in 2019 on 93.1.

......just a side note.....on the classic vinyl format I would love to see a Michigan Rocks segment added into the playlist of bands of that era from Detroit and Michigan and bands that got their legs here.....like Grand Funk,MC5,Stooges,SRC,Frost,Amboy Dukes,Mitch Ryder,Kiss,J.Geils,Journey.....etc.
Last edited by windsor on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:21 pm

See Windsor gets it, I’m not saying it because I worked in the Biz for 22 years and it makes me an expert because I’m not, I’m just saying it because it’s needed, it would fill a void in the Harder edge Classic Rock format that is not being played anymore and would go head to head against WRIF and WCSX, and maybe Cumulus will get their crap together and do something constructive with WDRQ.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 pm

windsor wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 pm

the 2nd being a Classic Vinyl/Classic rock format.....
1964 -1977.......Beatles,Stones,Yes,America,Yardbirds,Zep,Doors,Bob Welch,fleetwoodmac,Who,Atlanta Rhythm Section,Cream,Humble Pie,Seger......etc etc.
I bet we hear this one in 2019 on 93.1.

......just a side note.....on the classic vinyl format I would love to see a Michigan Rocks segment added into the playlist of bands of that era from Detroit and Michigan and bands that got their legs here.....like Grand Funk,MC5,Stooges,SRC,Frost,Amboy Dukes,Mitch Ryder,Kiss,J.Geils,Journey.....etc.

Now THIS is what I would call REAL Classic Rock. I would actually consider listening to a station like this on occasion!!
I'm not a big fan of all classic rock, I need variety, but I would enjoy this type of station as a preset when browsing the dial in the car

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic