Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wolverines vs. Detroit Lions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Wolverines vs. Detroit Lions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:09 am

If these two teams were to face off, who would win?

I honestly think the Wolverines would have a decent chance of winning a head-to-head matchup with Detroit. It's not often that I would say a top-tier college team is capable of beating any NFL team - even a putrid one - but in this case I think Michigan would prevail!

Deleted User 8570

Re: Wolverines vs. Detroit Lions

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:13 am

MWmetalhead wrote:If these two teams were to face off, who would win?

I honestly think the Wolverines would have a decent chance of winning a head-to-head matchup with Detroit. It's not often that I would say a top-tier college team is capable of beating any NFL team - even a putrid one - but in this case I think Michigan would prevail!
Probably... though I think people underestimate what the college teams can do...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:21 pm

I am on the long list of sports honks who would say there is no chance the best college team in any season could beat the worst NFL team.....not even close. Michigan might have 4-5-6 guys good enough to make an NFL team. The Lions have 53.
Doesn't matter how bad you think they are 53 Detroit Lions guys made the NFL. No way Michigan has any more than 10 to 15 on the current roster that will ever get there.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:28 pm

craig11152 wrote:I am on the long list of sports honks who would say there is no chance the best college team in any season could beat the worst NFL team.....not even close. Michigan might have 4-5-6 guys good enough to make an NFL team. The Lions have 53.
Doesn't matter how bad you think they are 53 Detroit Lions guys made the NFL. No way Michigan has any more than 10 to 15 on the current roster that will ever get there.
I've always wanted to see it though...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:14 am

Not a perfectly analogous example - but to rebut craig's point, I would like to remind him that the AAA Toledo Mud Hens defeated the Detroit Tigers (soundly, I might add) in an exhibition contest held in the late 90's.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:08 pm

I've often thought it would be amusing to watch such a match-up, but I agree with Craig here.....Lions would be favored probably by 30 to 40 points.

The 16 vs. 1 seeds in the NCAA tournament comes to mind. Once in a great while, the best college team might give the worst NFL team a run for their money, but in the end, they would never ever win.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 am

Sorry to bump this thread, but I somehow missed it.

Back in the day (1934-76) there was an annual pre-season match-up between the NFL Champion versus a team of College Senior All-Stars. It's not exactly analogous to Mr. Metalhead's original proposed scenario, but close enough. The overall record was 31-9-2 in favor of the pro teams.

The extraordinary size and athleticism of today's pro players would probably make things even more lopsided, even against a "semi-pro" team such as Alabama.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:14 am
Not a perfectly analogous example - but to rebut craig's point, I would like to remind him that the AAA Toledo Mud Hens defeated the Detroit Tigers (soundly, I might add) in an exhibition contest held in the late 90's.
Some years, the USPBL Birmingham Bloomfield Beavers could probably beat the Tigers, at the beginning of the season before all the Majors recruit their best players.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:22 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 am
Sorry to bump this thread, but I somehow missed it.
No sweat. I love bring old threads back from the dead and I like it when others do the same!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic