Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cartridge for SL1200

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Deleted User 24

Re: Cartridge for SL1200

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:44 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 am
My requirements are sitting in my library listening to my records. I concluded since most of these I only listened to while at a radio station, I want my turntable to sound like a radio station turntable. So far so good.
Does that include putting a dime on the headshell?

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm

I have an SL1500MK2, SL1610MK2 and a SL1700MK2. I have 2 Shure SC35C's, 2 Stanton 500DJ's, an old Audio-Technica something or other, and a Nagatron 165S. Which one I'm using depends on the source material. For records with moderate groove wear, a narrower stylus is better as it reads from deeper in the groove. A wider stylus is better if the grooves have deep wear. Personally, I like the Stanton better since it's not a heavy as the Shures, and tracks better within the normal tracking and antiskate range. When using the Shures I have to turn the counterweight around to get it at the right tracking force. However, the Shures excel when playing 12" singles. Talk about punch! The AT and the Nagatron I use for testing records I just acquired. I have no problem finding stylii for any of these. I have considered a Grado, maybe when I can scratch up enough coin. Not a major priority right now. Most of my vinyl-playing activity is either playing disk-to-air or ripping to digital, moreso the latter.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:44 pm
Does that include putting a dime on the headshell?
If only I had a dollar for every time I saw that. Remember the old wooden Rec-o-Gut tonearms? Those were nice, *if* they were adjusted right. I think probably myself, Tom Knight and Don McComb were the only 3 people who knew how to correctly adjust one! Saw tons of them with pennies or nickels taped to them. At least they were better than those horrible cast metal ones. I think the arm itself weight two pounds on those!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic