Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The impeachment/indictment thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: The impeachment/indictment thread

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:32 pm
I might take that bet... losing 50% support isn’t happening but I’ll buy that he lost more than the combined 70,000 voters in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania that made him win in 2016. Without those three he has no path forward. His approval has dropped sharply in all 3 states and no Hillary State is going to switch sides... he has a monumentally uphill battle here to be re-elected because his margin was razor thin the first time...
You bring up a good point Trump supporters refuse to reconcile. 40% is not a majority as far as approval ratings are concerned and Trump would have lost in any elected office in America from Dog Catcher to Senator were it not for the Electoral College. It was a fluke.

The entire Trump presidency has been on thin ice from the get go and simply by virtue of simply gaining the office hasn't made it any thicker.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm
Somehow Trump is immune from rapid and declining shifts in approval ratings?
No, I don't think he's immune. There are all kinds of things that could sink his popularity. But that would require things that cause his base to abandon him. His core base seems to be around 35% and the remaining 7% of his approval comes from republicans who maybe don't like him personally but do like the results. So if the economy were to tank, or we were to get in too deep into a war, or any number of other things, I could see him losing that 7% group. In fact, he was in the mid 30s before his tax cut, and since the tax cut a year ago, it went up and has stayed there.

But if things were indeed to go south in the economy or in foreign policy, I think his base sticks with him so long as they don't directly blame him. As it stands how, they give him credit for all the good things and blame the left for anything and everything bad.

Bottom line is I do think he has a higher approval ratings floor than any President before him in modern times. He also has a fairly low ceiling probably in the high 40s. Most people have a strong opinion of Trump and it would take a LOT to change those opinions. Remember this does work both ways. While things tanking won't hurt his approval rating much, he could bring world peace, zero percent unemployment, and a cure for cancer, and his approval rating would still struggle to reach 50 percent.

As to the Mueller probe - again, most people have made their mind up on this. I don't know what Mueller could possibly produce in terms of hard evidence of significant criminal wrongdoing that would change many peoples' minds.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm

NS8401 wrote:
I might take that bet... losing 50% support isn’t happening but I’ll buy that he lost more than the combined 70,000 voters in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania that made him win in 2016. Without those three he has no path forward. His approval has dropped sharply in all 3 states and no Hillary State is going to switch sides... he has a monumentally uphill battle here to be re-elected because his margin was razor thin the first time...
NS - I will concede that you make a fair point with regards to the importance of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. However, I would note that Pennsylvania alone, all other 47 states remaining equal, would still give him the Presidency, regardless of WI or MI.

It will all boil down to who the dems pick. If they go with Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders, or Elizabeth Warren, that would seal a victory for Trump. Trump is certainly very beatable, but I'm not convinced the dems will pick somebody remotely close to moderate.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't know what Mueller could possibly produce in terms of hard evidence of significant criminal wrongdoing that would change many peoples' minds.
Pee tapes and tax returns are the first things that come to mind, but give me more than 5 seconds to think about it... :D

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh, you mean like how the Billy Bush tape sunk his bid for President :lol

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm
NS8401 wrote:
NS - I will concede that you make a fair point with regards to the importance of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. However, I would note that Pennsylvania alone, all other 47 states remaining equal, would still give him the Presidency, regardless of WI or MI.

It will all boil down to who the dems pick. If they go with Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders, or Elizabeth Warren, that would seal a victory for Trump. Trump is certainly very beatable, but I'm not convinced the dems will pick somebody remotely close to moderate.
Given their picking lots of moderates in their victory in the house this midterm i would argue that this sets a precedent going into 2020... what took the GOP years to figure out took the Democrats mere months...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Lawyer up! Welcome to the party Vice President Homophobe...
WASHINGTON — Vice President Mike Pence has hired a private lawyer to represent him in the special counsel's investigation into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, the vice president's office confirmed Thursday.

Pence has retained Richard Cullen of the law firm McGuireWoods to "assist him in responding to inquiries by the special counsel," according to a statement from Pence's communications director, Jarrod Agen.

"The Vice President is focused entirely on his duties and promoting the President agenda and looks forward to a swift conclusion of this matter," Agen said.

On Friday, when asked by reporters, Pence said the hiring of a private attorney was "very routine. Very routine."

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Former NSA Michael Flynn has provided “substantial assistance” to the special counsel and they have recommended that he serve no jail time as a result...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm
Former NSA Michael Flynn has provided “substantial assistance” to the special counsel and they have recommended that he serve no jail time as a result...
apparently the transition team for Trump had a significant amount of activity with Russians. Thus the post above this one about Pence lawyering up

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am

News released Flynn offered “substantial assistance” and Pence lawyering up the same day. Astounding coincidence huh?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:13 pm

The lying virus in Dec 2017 wrote:President Trump told reporters Saturday that he wasn’t worried about what his former national security advisor, Michael T. Flynn, might tell prosecutors after agreeing to cooperate with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

Flynn, a retired lieutenant general, pleaded guilty Friday to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Sergey Kislyak, then Russia’s ambassador in Washington.

“What has been shown is no collusion, no collusion,” said Trump as he departed the White House for a fundraiser in New York. “There’s been absolutely no collusion, so we’re very happy.”
And today we learn wrote:In another filing, prosecutors for the special counsel investigating Russia’s 2016 election interference said an unnamed Russian offered Mr. Cohen “government level” synergy between Russia and Mr. Trump’s campaign in November 2015. That was months earlier than other approaches detailed in indictments secured by prosecutors.

And in a separate case on Friday, the special counsel accused Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman, of lying about his contacts with an individual they accuse of ties to Russian intelligence, and about his interactions with Trump administration officials after he was indicted on criminal charges.

Together, the filings laid bare the most direct evidence to date linking Mr. Trump to potentially criminal conduct, and added to an already substantial case that Russia was seeking to sway the 2016 election in his favor.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:13 pm
The lying virus in Dec 2017 wrote:President Trump told reporters Saturday that he wasn’t worried about what his former national security advisor, Michael T. Flynn, might tell prosecutors after agreeing to cooperate with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

Flynn, a retired lieutenant general, pleaded guilty Friday to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Sergey Kislyak, then Russia’s ambassador in Washington.

“What has been shown is no collusion, no collusion,” said Trump as he departed the White House for a fundraiser in New York. “There’s been absolutely no collusion, so we’re very happy.”
And today we learn wrote:In another filing, prosecutors for the special counsel investigating Russia’s 2016 election interference said an unnamed Russian offered Mr. Cohen “government level” synergy between Russia and Mr. Trump’s campaign in November 2015. That was months earlier than other approaches detailed in indictments secured by prosecutors.

And in a separate case on Friday, the special counsel accused Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman, of lying about his contacts with an individual they accuse of ties to Russian intelligence, and about his interactions with Trump administration officials after he was indicted on criminal charges.

Together, the filings laid bare the most direct evidence to date linking Mr. Trump to potentially criminal conduct, and added to an already substantial case that Russia was seeking to sway the 2016 election in his favor.
And slowly the noose tightens...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:49 am

It's a witch hunt by angry Dems. Should investigate lying Comey and crooked Hillary. Very sad!!!!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:22 am

Trump’s Tweetantrums mount as NY federal investigators and Muller submit filings that flame his ass.
Last edited by screen glare on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:25 am

Witness tonight the main reason America is pre-Civil War-style divided right now - after becoming so - over approximatly the past two decades.

Hannity on Fox and The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC go head to head at 9pm. And this evening’s most important news was the Cohen filings. Fox blew it off as no big deal for Trump. No collusion. Witch hunt. MSNBC read a lot of it word for word or parapharased explaining why Cohen’s reveal is a damning first tie between Trump, Russian high level government, and US election interference.

CNN explained same - minus overt glee. Which is why Trump hates that news outfit most. By demeanor they appear more objective - and therefore more credible.

All the folks tuned exclusively to Fox went away with the opposite and wrong impression from the news flowing down the main stream. They’re in the swill of a back water slough. Er swamp. And they have no idea what they do not know. Or how their thinking has been manipulated into believing what Trump wants them to believe. Propaganda. Not news. Trump’s panic stricken hard sell to his suckers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic