Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze: Announcers, Jingles, DJ'S, Morning Show, etc. Discussion

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 98.7 The Breeze: Announcers, Jingles, DJ'S, Morning Show, etc. Discussion

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:33 am

I better not hear a morning show crafted for yentas on this station. If I hear the radio version of Kathie Lee and Hoda or Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest I will vomit projectiles and will never listen to 98.7 again.

If the station wants to be successful, it will try to remain as gender and age neutral as possible. This format needs to have a big tent approach to be successful. Similar stations in Miami and San Francisco have found a way to do this successfully. The Miami station is at or near #1 in P18-34! That's a demo with whom Soft AC stations have historically performed poorly, so being in or near first place is extremely impressive. Of course, the fact there are three (!!!) English-language CHR/Pop stations in Miami helps WFEZ's cause from a rank standpoint.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 am

I'd love to hear Johnny Williams evenings on The Breeze...and eScape from a stressful world! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXuZFMR ... hYfiEhXTzQ

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:17 am

videocollectore wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:34 pm
No hosts or shtick, just music
Bingo

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am

Non,I don’t think Johnny Williams is around any more, I could be wrong but he could of passed a few years ago ,Anyway I hope I’m wrong .

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

RadioKev, Johnny Williams is still alive and lives in the Metro Detroit area. I talked to him in person at Jo-Jo Shutty MacGregor's annual CKLW Reunion event in July, 2017. He's semi-retired, but still does some voice-over work. He would be a perfect fit on The Breeze. Maybe, they'd let him take some listener requests, like WNIC did when Johnny took over "Pillow Talk" from Alan Almond.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:48 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:17 am
videocollectore wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:34 pm
No hosts or shtick, just music
Bingo
Yes! Emphatically, yes.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:52 pm

No personality?
That will get boring real fast.

This isn't a Jack FM Station.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

But it could be called Jackie FM with all the songs they play demographically they are Female 18-54.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 am

According to today's "Inside Radio" cover page, a "Breeze" is sweeping across the Nation! Jacobs: With the rebirth of soft AC radio—and the fast burgeoning “Breeze” format—once again the debate over the salability of 55+ listeners has become a hot topic of conversation. Mind you, the innate value of the audience has never been questioned: It is more a matter of convincing ad agency buyers that the world does not revolve exclusively around 25-54.

Add Fred Jacobs to those taking up the cause. A new blog post from the Jacobs Media Strategies president, “Selling Older Radio Demos? It’s A Breeze,” points out that “it’s been some time since Lionel Richie, Air Supply, and Whitney Houston have seen the light of day on FM radio.”

Fortunately, radio’s largest companies – iHeartMedia and Entercom – “are both embracing the ‘new’ format, signaling that a barrage of similarly programmed stations will begin to emerge throughout the U.S. and Canada,” Jacobs writes.

And then there are the stats. He adds, “Upper demo consumers are the biggest spenders. But the ugly contradiction is that the media buying world continues to focus its attention – and its dollars – on a considerably younger audience.” Jacobs is confounded about Madison Avenue’s blind eye toward this demo, adding, “Logic suggests that advertisers and marketers are smart enough to connect the dots, and realize that today's 50+ consumers are the most reliable – and have the most money. And every year, prognosticators (I was once one of them) maintain that as Baby Boomers age, their marketing strengths will become in vogue once again.”

Case in point are “classic” formats, which continually foster exceptional ratings and yet, many of those stations “have been punished in sales and revenue by media buyers and planners who just don't get it.”

Jacobs believes that it is time for the radio industry to make the case—with stations and industry organizations leading the call. If so, he believes there is potential for “a quantum improvement in the industry's fortune(s), with a concerted effort to establish 50+ radio listeners as being not just viable – but desirable.”

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 am

Entercom should move Sunday Morning Brew with Pam Rossi to 98.7. I think that it would be a better fit. On WOMC it is not much of a show anymore, as the unique songs from the show have been pared to a minimum, usually to the first two hours of Pam’s shift.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I agree with that. WOMC is pretty much playing 80s, so Pam doesn't have that much room to work.

She would be great for Sunday mornings on the Breeze.
Maybe even Saturday and Sunday morning?

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:18 am

I hope they do a request hour like WOMC's ex-Instant Request Lunch.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:18 am
I hope they do a request hour like WOMC's ex-Instant Request Lunch.
Why they brought it back for a week and ditched it again earlier this year is anybody’s guess... WOMC is a shell of itself now...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:36 am

I know the reason why it was ditched both times, ill tell you the decision for JJ to ditch it was definitely worth it based on conditions from higher up.
And I agree, I don't even listen anymore. It's nothing like it used to be. And this "new" imaging they have going is kind of stupid too.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:14 am

I never seen so much excitement for a station before ,I wish Entercom ratings success with 98.7 not just the first couple ratings periods but a long time of success ,if it’s just a couple books and the numbers take a downward trend then we will have a lot of disappointed listeners out there.The one thing lately with format changes is the new station does well the first few books than the numbers nosedive It happened with The Bounce Just recently now they didn’t take a bad fall they just leveled off a bit maybe it will be different with The Breeze only time will tell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic