Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just how bad are the Lions?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Just how bad are the Lions?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:35 pm

Gifted a defensive pass interference call at the LA 25 and still only walk away with three points.
I'm stunned that such a thing could happen! I mean, JBC is such a talented OC!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I hate to sound like a broken record every week, but the people making game management decisions for the Lions have the lowest football I.Q. I have ever seen in football. Onside kicks are successful 10 percent of the time and you try TWO of them, yet early in the game when you have it 4th and 2 instead of 3rd and eternity when the Rams decline a holding penalty, you choose to punt? They should have gone for it on that 4th and 2 situation and made the Ram pay for declining that penalty. But nope, we get the usual TIMID play-calling for most of the game, until they're down by multiple scores, and then they take completely unnecessary risks where the risk vs. reward just doesn't add up.

I'm now fully on-board the fire-Jim-Bob-Cooter train.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm
I hate to sound like a broken record every week, but the people making game management decisions for the Lions have the lowest football I.Q. I have ever seen in football. Onside kicks are successful 10 percent of the time and you try TWO of them, yet early in the game when you have it 4th and 2 instead of 3rd and eternity when the Rams decline a holding penalty, you choose to punt? They should have gone for it on that 4th and 2 situation and made the Ram pay for declining that penalty. But nope, we get the usual TIMID play-calling for most of the game, until they're down by multiple scores, and then they take completely unnecessary risks where the risk vs. reward just doesn't add up.

I'm now fully on-board the fire-Jim-Bob-Cooter train.
I’m ready to get rid of Matt Patricia and the nimrod that hired him too...

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Mike McCarthy's on the market.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:11 am

I couldn't believe what happened just before the half ended. We had the ball with over two minutes left, plenty of time to get in position for a field goal just before halftime. What happens? We go a quick three-and-out, give up the ball, and the Rams get the half-ending field goal! :rolleyes Unbelievable!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm
So many things I could comment on but I'll settle on that last onside kick with almost 3 minutes , 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning.
:shock:
Because other teams COULD pull that off. It WOULD work for them. They would get that kick back and, if they didn't, the D would stop the series and make them go 3 and out. When the Lions do that kind of stuff, you know it's game over at that point.

You know what else I've noticed about the Lions? They tend to go to extremes when it comes to coaching. Especially the last 30 or so years that I've witnessed. Wayne Fontes was cool as a cucumber, and then when he was gone, they brought in Bobby Ross, a hard ass. Then they went to MM, who was , at best, a dip shit. I think the "taking the wind" call says it all. He won, what, 8 games in three years? And only at home? So they go from that to Mariucci, another coach that had Super Bowl experience. He was a flop. Then there was Marinelli. He was a quieter guy, so they bring in Schwartz, who violently threw challenge flags and screamed to "learn the fucking rules". A cocky, arrogant loudmouth. So what do we do after his tenure? Jim Caldwell, a man who could stand there and watch you murder his family and not bat an eye. Now we have former Pats GM Bob Quinn running our team, and he brings in Matty Patty. I thought it had been figured out that usually, anyone from the Bellichek coaching tree doesn't succeed. But Patricia is a braniac, so when he's gone, they're gonna bring in a dummy.

JBC needs to go. The defense isn't all that great YET, but I see signs of promise. But when you get a 1st and 10 at the Rams 25 with a chance to take the lead late in the game and you piss it away, something isn't right. And it frustrates me because I WANT to see Stafford win. I think he has a great attitude and deserves to win. He's not a loudmouth cocky prick. He seems a decent guy that tries (thought I admit to not knowing him personally), but what is it gonna take to get the team over the hump? To win some big games? To take advantage of other teams stupid penalties?

This is also a reminder that I believe we had a chance at Aaron Donald a while back. He OWNED the O Line yesterday. But if we had drafted him...psh. Never mind.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am
Because other teams COULD pull that off. It WOULD work for them. They would get that kick back and, if they didn't, the D would stop the series and make them go 3 and out. When the Lions do that kind of stuff, you know it's game over at that point.
I gotta disagree. In 2018 with the new kickoff rules there is less than a 10% chance of recovering an onside kick. That leaves a 90% chance you give the ball to your opponent about 15 yards from a field goal that puts them up 2 scores.
A sane decision is to kick deep and give your defense a little wiggle room.
At that point the Lions defense had only 3 and outed them once in the game. An onside kick made no sense at all. I hate to even harp on it since it was just one thing of many. In the end the Lions just aren't very good and their coaching staff just makes matters worse

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Next year the league should change the kickoff rules so that players can run up on the line, but only for onside kicks. Then make running up on the line a 15-yard penalty if the kick goes more than say 25 yards.

Option 2 would be to relax the kickoff rules inside of 2 minutes left in the game.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I gotta disagree. In 2018 with the new kickoff rules there is less than a 10% chance of recovering an onside kick. That leaves a 90% chance you give the ball to your opponent about 15 yards from a field goal that puts them up 2 scores.
At that point the Lions defense had only 3 and outed them once in the game. An onside kick made no sense at all. I hate to even harp on it since it was just one thing of many. In the end the Lions just aren't very good and their coaching staff just makes matters worse
You know what? Allow me to specify. I didn't before. I meant that it WOULD work AGAINST the Lions. A competing team would try that on us and it would work.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
You know what? Allow me to specify. I didn't before. I meant that it WOULD work AGAINST the Lions. A competing team would try that on us and it would work.
A competing team could take a knee with 10 minutes left in a 1 point game and still win due to false start penalties by the Lions... they probably could mess that up given the chance...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I think we can all agree with Craig. Just think of them as a comedy act. Play Yakkity Sax in the background while they play.

-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Fire Matthew Stafford!!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:17 am

I want to paste this bit from an interview of former Patriots and Lions guard Damien Woody in the Boston Globe and see if it sounds familiar as regards much of the sentiment I'm hearing towards the Quinn/Patricia regime.
The Boston Globe on January 20, 2017 wrote:You were drafted by the Patriots in 1999, before Bill Belichick was coach. And you were also there during his only losing season in New England. Is there a moment you can remember when you started to really believe he would lead the team to greatness?

Damien Woody: It was more gradual, but when people ask me this question about coach Belichick and his early tenure with the Patriots, I always go back to his first training camp. His very first team meeting, the night before training camp started, I remember him coming in and he said, ‘It’s time to go to work. Don’t ask for any breaks. There will not be any breaks. Put your head down. You’re in a tunnel. So let’s go to work.’ And he just left out of the room. So I’m thinking, ‘Oh my god, what are we in for?’ And remember this is before the new CBA where they restrict the hitting in practice. We were going at it, for like a month straight. Just killing each other. And I remember every night we had a meeting, and he would tell the team that this player retired, or that player went AWOL. There were guys literally dropping like flies. But it was all a process, because he was weeding out the guys that he didn’t want there.

And his first year we went 5-11, had a lot of older guys with bloated contracts. He was just phasing guys out. But then the very next year, he didn’t have to focus on implementing the culture. The culture was already established. So then he could take it to the next level. Sure enough, that’s the year we went to the Super Bowl. The methodology was validated in his second year.
Here's another revealing snippet from the interview:
When you went from the Super Bowl champion Patriots to the Lions as a free agent [in 2004], were there differences that stuck out between a winning organization and one that had less recent success?

DW: The difference between Detroit and New England was night and day. It was just totally night and day. And as for why I made the decision [to leave the Patriots], for me and my family, I won two Super Bowls in New England, had a ton of success there, but I also felt like I had to look at the business component and make sure that life after football was taken care of. So it was a decision made after we tried to come to a contract agreement, it didn’t happen and both sides chose to go their separate ways. There were no harsh feelings.

But once I got to Detroit, I was like, ‘Boy, this is nothing like New England.’ I mean, just the structure, the coaching, the type of players. There were a lot of times where coaches and front office people were just grilling me about what it was like in New England. And I’m thinking to myself like, ‘If you guys want me to be the GM too, shouldn’t that be in my contract?’ You paid me to just be a player, not to come in and be a player/GM like Bill Russell. That wasn’t in my contract. If you ask any player, they will tell that when you’ve had good coaching, you will notice bad coaching right away. And unfortunately that was the situation where the coaching and environment was far superior in New England, and myself I fell victim to it. I didn’t play to my expectations in Detroit. Luckily for me, I have to give a lot of credit to Rod Marinelli. He actually benched me in Detroit. That right there triggered me, and I had to earn my starting spot back, which in turn inspired me to play probably my best football in Detroit in my last year, which I then ended up going to New York with Eric Mangini and really finished my career on a high note.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Well folks, flame and bbq me until I'm nothing but charred fat, but I think Patricia should be given 2 years before he gets seriously critiqued.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:58 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:12 pm
Well folks, flame and bbq me until I'm nothing but charred fat, but I think Patricia should be given 2 years before he gets seriously critiqued.
I'll just keep you on the back-burner on "low" till the inevitable overboiling and implosion next season. :razz

Seriously, I agree with you in principle, but only in principle. If the Lions stink up the joint next season; you, me, and every fan in the state will want heads to roll.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic