Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CFP Rankings and Bowl games

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
JackAttack FM

CFP Rankings and Bowl games

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:42 am

So, the Harbaugh "disastrophe" of 2018 that took place this past Saturday has been good not only for Ohio State but, for Georgia and Oklahoma.

The CFP ranking for this week is out and here is where everybody stands.

1. Alabama (12-0)
2. Clemson (12-0)
3. Notre Dame (12-0)
4. Georgia (11-1)
-----------------------------------
5. Oklahoma (11-1)
6. Ohio State (11-1)
7. Michigan (10-2)
8. UCF (11-0)
9. Florida (9-3)
10. LSU (9-3)
11. Washington (9-3)
12. Penn State (9-3)
13. Washington State (10-2)
14. Texas (9-3)
15. Kentucky (9-3)
16. West Virginia (8-3)
17. Utah (9-3)
18. Mississippi State (8-4)
19. Texas A&M (8-4)
20. Syracuse (9-3)
21. Northwestern (8-4)
22. Boise State (10-2)
23. Iowa State (7-4)
24. Missouri (8-4)
25. Fresno State (10-2)

The non playoff New Year's six bowl game predictions are now:
Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs Washington
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs Florida
Peach Bowl: Penn State vs LSU
Fiesta Bowl: Central Florida vs Michigan

The Rose Bowl, not being a playoff game this year, is a contract game with the top Big Ten team and the top Pac 12 team who are not in the playoffs.
In other words, a lot would have to happen in this Saturday's confrence championship games for Ohio State to get into the playoffs and Michigan to go to the Rose Bowl. But, you never know.

And if those predictions hold UCF is no slouch. They're on a 24 game win streak, longest in college football. However, they just lost their starting QB. It'll make their AAC championship game Saturday with Memphis interesting.

Harbaugh knocked over a lot of pins with his "coaching" Saturday. Lost the Big Ten Championship, lost a berth in the CFP, and lost the Rose Bowl.

Deleted User 8570

Re: CFP Rankings and Bowl games

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 am

One would think somebody would design a way for Ohio State and Michigan (or other rivals) to duel it out in a rematch round in a bowl game... just sayin...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:33 am

Does that non- playoff list assume the SEC loser still gets a 4 spot? Because one of those teams is losing this weekend.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 am

Something needs to change with Notre Dame not having to play a good team at the end of the season. Finishing with a bad USC team about to fire their coach ain't the same as playing a conference division winner. Or a conference #2 in the Big 12 case.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 am
One would think somebody would design a way for Ohio State and Michigan (or other rivals) to duel it out in a rematch round in a bowl game... just sayin...
Yes, its pretty simple. Dump these stupid East and West divisions, go down to only one or two out-of-confrence games on the schedule and have the two teams with the best record in the Big 10 play each other in the championship game.
Then you'd have a U-M vs OSU rematch.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:30 am

I think it's clear the current divisions are weighted heavily to the east but I won't call the concept of divisions stupid since it is pretty much ubiquitous in team sports.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Prediction - Georgia and Oklahoma will both lose. Ohio State will crush Northwestern and gets in.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Well Oklahoma managed to pull away late.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm

If either Ohio State or Georgia win, that is going to make things EXTREMELY interesting!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm assuming OSU wins and Georgia loses.
Then if Georgia loses how bad does it need to be to boot them? Does any loss boot them? If they lose in OT do they stay in? As a 4? Would the cabal somehow move things around so Georgia doesn't play Alabama back to back?
What if Georgia loses in 3 OT'S on a bad call by officials?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Still lots of time but Georgia is looking like a team in a mission.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:09 am

LOL. Georgia blew the game, like always! They are the Buffalo Bills of college football.

Alabama always finds a way to make big plays when they are needed most. When the Georgia kicker missed that easy field goal when it was a 28 - 14 game, I said "here is where the tide turns." I was right!

With both Ohio State and Oklahoma winning last night, the selection committee has a very tough decision to make.

Oklahoma's only loss on the season is to a damn good Texas team, and it was only by a field goal. Ohio State lost badly to a mediocre Purdue team. Both teams have multiple other games that were decided by less than a touchdown. Just as Ohio State barely escaped Maryland, Oklahoma barely escaped Oklahoma State.

Ohio State did have the stronger finish of the two schools, just absolutely demolishing the fourth ranked Wolverines and also dominating the Wildcats last night. Right now, I think Ohio State is the stronger of the two teams. But if one looks at the body of work of the entire season, I think Oklahoma has a slight edge. It all comes back to each program's respective loss as well as the games that were decided by one point each.

If we evaluate the games where both schools won by a single point, the OK State Cowboys are a very respectable team! The Cowboys played a tough schedule this year and did defeat three top-25 ranked opponents. The Terrapins' body of work this season is not nearly as strong as that of the Cowboys, featuring bad losses to Michigan State and Temple. The Terrapins also lost to the Hoosiers.

In big post-season games in recent years, Ohio State certainly has a better track record than the Sooners. Will that be considered?

If it were up to me, the Sooners would be in and Ohio State would be the first team out. That means Ohio State would face the Huskies in the Rose Bowl. Michigan would likely wind up - as usual - in one of the Florida bowl games.

A four team BCS playoff is insufficient. I think six to eight teams should get in. The conference winners of all of the power conferences should receive automatic berths. Just imagine if the PAC-12 had a one loss team within its ranks this year.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:09 am
LOL. Georgia blew the game, like always! They are the Buffalo Bills of college football.

Alabama always finds a way to make big plays when they are needed most. When the Georgia kicker missed that easy field goal when it was a 28 - 14 game, I said "here is where the tide turns." I was right!

With both Ohio State and Oklahoma winning last night, the selection committee has a very tough decision to make.

Oklahoma's only loss on the season is to a damn good Texas team, and it was only by a field goal. Ohio State lost badly to a mediocre Purdue team. Both teams have multiple other games that were decided by less than a touchdown. Just as Ohio State barely escaped Maryland, Oklahoma barely escaped Oklahoma State.

Ohio State did have the stronger finish of the two schools, just absolutely demolishing the fourth ranked Wolverines and also dominating the Wildcats last night. Right now, I think Ohio State is the stronger of the two teams. But if one looks at the body of work of the entire season, I think Oklahoma has a slight edge. It all comes back to each program's respective loss as well as the games that were decided by one point each.

If we evaluate the games where both schools won by a single point, the OK State Cowboys are a very respectable team! The Cowboys played a tough schedule this year and did defeat three top-25 ranked opponents. The Terrapins' body of work this season is not nearly as strong as that of the Cowboys, featuring bad losses to Michigan State and Temple. The Terrapins also lost to the Hoosiers.

In big post-season games in recent years, Ohio State certainly has a better track record than the Sooners. Will that be considered?

If it were up to me, the Sooners would be in and Ohio State would be the first team out. That means Ohio State would face the Huskies in the Rose Bowl. Michigan would likely wind up - as usual - in one of the Florida bowl games.

A four team BCS playoff is insufficient. I think six to eight teams should get in. The conference winners of all of the power conferences should receive automatic berths. Just imagine if the PAC-12 had a one loss team within its ranks this year.
Michigan will be NY6, probably Peach or Fiesta. Most likely opponent is said to be Florida, which has a lot of people annoyed. I'm happy with playing and potentially beating a good team that they play regularly.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:41 pm

I think Oklahoma will get the 4th spot over Ohio State. While I didn't watch the Oklahoma/WV game, I did watch much of the OSU/NW game and OSU looked sloppy at times. The game was a lot closer than the score would indicate. Bottom line is Oklahoma entered the week ahead of OSU in the rankings, and both teams won their games, with Oklahoma's win being over a better team than OSU's win. OSU didn't do enough to leapfrog them in the rankings, IMO.

Matt is probably right. I predict a Michigan v. Florida matchup in the Peach Bowl. It is a shame they'll probably have to play on Dec 29 on the same day as the 2 title games instead of on Jan 1.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Your 4 are:
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
In that order...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic